Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: LED Tailight  (Read 8145 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
LED Tailight
« on: February 11, 2007, 07:26:30 PM »

Purchased a Red LED Tailight array for my bike from Custom Dynamics (talk to Christine...she's a sweetie) to install in place of the regular 1157 clear bulb.

The install requires that you remove the lens, heat the epoxy like substance sealing the chrome reflector into the lens, and remove it.  It's a bit aggravating to do, but if you heat it up and use a very small screwdriver it will come out.  Took about 20 minutes to get the thing out of the lens.  You then stick (the LED array has the sticky tape on it) the part on the chrome reflector.  It basically sticks on the four corners....sorry, no pics of that part of the process.  I then reinserted the chrome reflector and sealed it in place with black silicone and let it set up overnight.  The connector for the LED is a plug and play, so no issues there.  I also have amber arrays coming for the turn signals.  The main reason I did this was to get a brighter light down low, since I already have the LED strip on the tourpak, and the 1157 was pretty dull in comparison.  I am not going to do the turn signals in red run/stop/turn, as in my opinion from a distance at night, with the bullet turn signal bar on the back of our bikes making the signals so close together, it all looks like a red blob, and is difficult to distinguish the turn signal if on because it is no longer amber.  Amber is a more visible color from some of the safety articles I've read, so I'm just going with a plug and play amber LED array for each side and keep my smoked lenses.

The LED tailight array has three whites on the back top, which shine through the clear part of the lens...they have a bit of blueish tint to them that is hard to see in the pics, but it looks pretty cool, IMO.

First pic is the old tailight in run position...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

Re: LED Tailight
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 07:28:37 PM »

Here's the LED array...pretty much fills up the back of the lens.

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 07:29:55 PM »

Installed...

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 07:32:15 PM »

A shot of the clear part of the lens and the white lights that shine up and back onto the license plate...

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 07:34:13 PM »

another from the side...

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 07:36:04 PM »

Last one...the light is BRIGHT...the pics don't really do it justice.

TTS Mastertune

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 07:40:04 PM »

Terry,
That looks good. :2vrolijk_21: You can definitely see the difference in the amount of light produced. :o

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 07:47:40 PM »

Oh...forgot to mention that if you put an LED IN PLACE OF a regular bulb, you need to put a load balancer in the circuit as the LED's don't pull much current, so the system will think you have a burned out bulb and do funky things like make the turn signals blink fast.  Custom Dynamics sells these small (about the size of a box of matches) devices as well.  Take off the seat, find the harness going to all the lights on the back of the bike, and plug this device in series...it's a plug and play device with the right connectors, so it takes about 5 minutes to plug in in and tie wrap it out of the way just behind the battery box.  Pull the maxi fuse before doing this so the device will power up from scratch when you get it all hooked up.

TTS Mastertune

Bagger

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 06:46:38 AM »

Oh...forgot to mention that if you put an LED IN PLACE OF a regular bulb, you need to put a load balancer in the circuit as the LED's don't pull much current, so the system will think you have a burned out bulb and do funky things like make the turn signals blink fast.  Custom Dynamics sells these small (about the size of a box of matches) devices as well.  Take off the seat, find the harness going to all the lights on the back of the bike, and plug this device in series...it's a plug and play device with the right connectors, so it takes about 5 minutes to plug in in and tie wrap it out of the way just behind the battery box.  Pull the maxi fuse before doing this so the device will power up from scratch when you get it all hooked up.

Terry, that definitely makes a huge difference, and it looks great.  About that load balancer thing......I chose to make my turn signals red run/stop/turn, which means I already have a device plugged in series where you added the load balancer.  Do the instructions say anything about stacking devices at that union, like can it be done?  Is there an order in which they are installed?  Also, can you provide a little more detail about why the maxi-fuse needs to be pulled?

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 09:49:51 AM »

Terry, that definitely makes a huge difference, and it looks great.  About that load balancer thing......I chose to make my turn signals red run/stop/turn, which means I already have a device plugged in series where you added the load balancer.  Do the instructions say anything about stacking devices at that union, like can it be done?  Is there an order in which they are installed?  Also, can you provide a little more detail about why the maxi-fuse needs to be pulled?

Henry,  Yes, according to the directions that came with the load balancer, you connect it and any other devices in series with each other.  Typically, the load equalizer would be last in the series before the tailight.  There are pictoral diagrams included, and there's room for both. Actually, the instructions recommend removing the wires from the battery.  Maybe there is power to the flashers even when the maxi is out?  Never tested that, but I do know with the maxi pulled, when you unbolt the wire to the battery, it removes power from some circuit uneffected by the maxi, 'cause you can hear it.  According to the instructions, it is necessary for there to be NO power to the device when you plug it in...then bolt up the positive side of the battery first.  I thought I had a defective unit, as when I got through the right signal would blink too fast...after several minutes of cussing, I finally figured out that I had a blown right FRONT turn signal bulb, which was causing the right signal to blink normally 3 or 4 times then begin flashing too fast.   :-[ 

Talk to Christine if you call them....she's very knowledgable, not just a telephone sales person.  You should get the 14.7 LED strip for the tourpak... ;)

IMO, that thing is the single most visible thing on the back of the bike, and it's right where the cagers are used to seeing a light.  I just added this LED to balance the light out a bit, so now the whole back of the bike is lit up well.  I have the LED tailight from HD on the Vrod too, but they don't make one yet for our scoots.  Night and day difference on the V.

TTS Mastertune

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 11:06:49 AM »

Terry, looks really good.  I've run the Kurykayn Panacea system for about 5 years for the same reason, all LEDs and much brighter.  Anything to get some more visability back there is a good thing for sure.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 12:21:45 PM »

Not saying that it will, but just to be on the safe side park it in the sun sometime.  With the sun behind the bike.  Walk back a ways and have someone hit the brakes for you.  Some of the LED arrays are bright, look great, but "wash out" in bright sunlight.  Just because they are brighter in the dark they can be almost impossible to see in the sunlight (even compared to a standard 1157).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 08:32:27 PM by Twolanerider »

rubaga

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2010 SESG
    • CVO2: 08 SERK Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 06:32:28 PM »

Nice looking lightning you have on your bike.  Congratulation on a good set up.

Looks good. :2vrolijk_21:

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 07:08:15 PM »

You are right on Don about the sun affecting the LEDs...I have the Panacea set up.

/Bill

Not saying that it will, but just to be on the safe side park it in the sun sometime.  With the sun behind the bike.  Walk back a ways and have someone hit the brakes for you.  Some of the LED arrays are bright, look great, but "wash out" in bright sunlight.  Just because they are brighter in the dark they can almost impossible to see in the sunlight (even compared to a standard 1157).
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 08:40:45 PM »

You are right on Don about the sun affecting the LEDs...I have the Panacea set up.

/Bill

A lot of them have the same handicap Bill.  I had the light that was just the center light from the Panacea system without the rest of it.  Nice bright LED.  You put that thing on, prop down the brake pedal, walk back behind the bike the evening you're working on it and see so much new bright light you think "EVERYONE can see this!".  Then in bright daylight with the sun behind you you find out NO ONE can see it. 

One of the good bright Silverstar 1157s is what I ended up changing mine back to after it was pointed out to me.  Though not immediately after. 

Someone pointed the problem out to me.  I glanced at it at a motel later that evening.  Noticed how bright it was.  Immediately thought the friend who'd pointed it out in the sunlight was obviously an imbecile.  Then a few days later heard that pucker inducing sound of a cage briefly locking up its brakes behind me as I was stopped at a stop light with no room in front of me to get out of its way.  That night I put a bulb in that was recognizable in all conditions rather than more recognizable at night (which is when the bike gets far and away the least amount of its riding anyway).

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 07:21:06 AM »

For me, adding the LED on the tourpac in combo with the Panacea is a good alternative...sort of like the CHML in cars.

/Bill

A lot of them have the same handicap Bill.  I had the light that was just the center light from the Panacea system without the rest of it.  Nice bright LED.  You put that thing on, prop down the brake pedal, walk back behind the bike the evening you're working on it and see so much new bright light you think "EVERYONE can see this!".  Then in bright daylight with the sun behind you you find out NO ONE can see it. 

One of the good bright Silverstar 1157s is what I ended up changing mine back to after it was pointed out to me.  Though not immediately after. 

Someone pointed the problem out to me.  I glanced at it at a motel later that evening.  Noticed how bright it was.  Immediately thought the friend who'd pointed it out in the sunlight was obviously an imbecile.  Then a few days later heard that pucker inducing sound of a cage briefly locking up its brakes behind me as I was stopped at a stop light with no room in front of me to get out of its way.  That night I put a bulb in that was recognizable in all conditions rather than more recognizable at night (which is when the bike gets far and away the least amount of its riding anyway).

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 11:38:02 AM »

For me, adding the LED on the tourpac in combo with the Panacea is a good alternative...sort of like the CHML in cars.

/Bill

If I had one of the tour paks on all the time I would have just left it alone too Bill.  Both have spoilers on them and that light is a bit brighter and up nice and high in someone's line of sight.  Even the saddlebag spoilers help.  But about half the time neither tour pak is on the bike.  Just a couple of backrests.  So I figured "what the hell" and plugged a good bright Silverstar 1157 back there.  Someone might actually see it better and it'd suck to get my ass knocked off.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2007, 01:51:16 PM »

I also had visibility problems in daylight with the LED lights in the Panacea.  I have since gone back to stock couple dwith a tail light flasher.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2007, 01:57:45 PM »

Are we talkin' just bright daylight here or sun shining directly on the back end of the bike?  In the daylight mine seem to show up fine, but I haven't positioned the bike to see it with the sun directly behind.  I will do that ASAP.  I do know that the tourpak strip shows up no matter the conditions, but this array is in a diffuser, so that may make a difference.  Will take some pics this weekend if the weather is good.

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2007, 02:45:51 PM »

Are we talkin' just bright daylight here or sun shining directly on the back end of the bike?  In the daylight mine seem to show up fine, but I haven't positioned the bike to see it with the sun directly behind.  I will do that ASAP.  I do know that the tourpak strip shows up no matter the conditions, but this array is in a diffuser, so that may make a difference.  Will take some pics this weekend if the weather is good.

It's when the sun is behind you Terry.  On my own (and a few others I noticed after starting to pay attention) that LED brake light just doesn't shine through.  They've all been the Kuryakyn Panacea lights (or variants thereof).  So perhaps yours will be different.  But on my own, you just flat couldn't see it when the sun was behind it.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2007, 04:08:24 PM »

It's when the sun is behind you Terry.  On my own (and a few others I noticed after starting to pay attention) that LED brake light just doesn't shine through.  They've all been the Kuryakyn Panacea lights (or variants thereof).  So perhaps yours will be different.  But on my own, you just flat couldn't see it when the sun was behind it.

Thanks, Don...I'll be sure and check it out well.  Don't know how different, if at all, this one is from the Panacea.  To tell you the truth, I've really never paid much attention to how bright the regular bulbs are with sun from behind.  One reason I wanted to stay with the amber turn signals is for contrast to the red...I'll try and get some pics, and if it sucks, it'll come off.

TTS Mastertune

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2007, 08:10:28 AM »

I led on a 2k trip last summer.  Everyone that followed at some point in time made the comment that they couldn't see when I activated my turn signal or brake.  Visibility way more important than cool.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

sooiee

• Senior CVO Member
    • NC
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2007, 02:08:06 PM »

Purchased a Red LED Tailight array for my bike from Custom Dynamics (talk to Christine...she's a sweetie) to install in place of the regular 1157 clear bulb.

The LED tailight array has three whites on the back top, which shine through the clear part of the lens...they have a bit of blueish tint to them that is hard to see in the pics, but it looks pretty cool, IMO.

First pic is the old tailight in run position...

Maybe I'm having the CSS (Can't See *hit) problem again?  Seems to come on more frequently in my old age. 
What did the array unit cost?  Was there more than just the array to replace? 
later, J
Remember.....Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a motorcycle.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2007, 04:03:25 PM »

Maybe I'm having the CSS (Can't See *hit) problem again?  Seems to come on more frequently in my old age. 
What did the array unit cost?  Was there more than just the array to replace? 
later, J

Sooie....here's the link to the page...it's the LED retrofit...03-07 square lens.  You do need the load equalizer as well...there's an entire page of stuff for HD's.

http://www.customdynamics.com/harley_davidson_motorcycle_taillight.htm

TTS Mastertune

sooiee

• Senior CVO Member
    • NC
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2007, 04:12:45 PM »

Ahh....THANKS. 
Maybe I need to take the dark glasses off?  8)

Cheers, J
Remember.....Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a motorcycle.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2007, 05:48:44 PM »

Terry, I think the problem with the Panacea is avoided with what you did since you have the Red lens.

The Panacea with the clear lens totally washes out if the sun is directly on it from the rear as 2Ln pointedout.  I damn near ran over a couple guys in Cripple Creek under that sun from the back problem. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2007, 11:11:03 PM »

Terry, I think the problem with the Panacea is avoided with what you did since you have the Red lens.

The Panacea with the clear lens totally washes out if the sun is directly on it from the rear as 2Ln pointedout.  I damn near ran over a couple guys in Cripple Creek under that sun from the back problem. 

Mine had the "smoked" lens.  Then tried a red one.  While there was a bit of difference between the two both were pretty much invisible with the sun right behind them.  Never tried a clear lens though.  So that sucks too huh?

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2007, 11:16:07 PM »

Mine had the "smoked" lens.  Then tried a red one.  While there was a bit of difference between the two both were pretty much invisible with the sun right behind them.  Never tried a clear lens though.  So that sucks too huh?

Yep, the direct light is a killer.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2007, 11:19:59 PM »

Yep, the direct light is a killer.

It was ugly Rog.  I'm sure some lighting engineer could explain why.  But it always seemed a bit counterintuitive to me that the LED that was so much brighter in all other circumstances compared to an incandescent 1157 completely failed compared to that same 1157 when in direct sunlight.  I was always too lazy to try to look anything up on it either.  Was too easy to just stick a really good 1157 back in.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2007, 12:29:47 AM »

Not sure if anyone recalls the old thread, but I have the 1157 LED in my turns and tail light.

It seems fine, I would hope that the array that Terry put in would work the same in the stock lens.  The pic here is just running brightness and they are plenty bright.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2007, 08:43:01 PM »

Took a couple of pics today with the tailight in bright sun, directly behind the bike.  I think the light will be fine in this particular application.  Maybe the LED's in the original lens makes a difference? :nixweiss:

Thanks to my brake light operator, Suzanne...

First, just the running lights...

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2007, 08:47:02 PM »

Second, with the brake light on...you can see the reflection of the sun in the fender, so it shouldn't be any worse than this, I don't think.

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2007, 08:48:43 PM »

There's a bike in that picture  :nixweiss: ?

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2007, 08:51:21 PM »

Second, with the brake light on...you can see the reflection of the sun in the fender, so it shouldn't be any worse than this, I don't think.

Terry,

I think the knock on the LED tail light in direct sun is with the Kuryakyn version.  You are right that the stock lens will make the difference.  The Kury clear lens was definitely the issue IMHO.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2007, 07:29:04 AM »

undeniable evidence of the Panacea limits...

/Bill

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2007, 07:34:21 AM »

and the closeup view...here you can just bareley make out some of the red

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2007, 08:20:44 AM »

It must all be in the reflector then, because I have the LED tailight from HD for the Vrod which has a crystal clear lens and it shows up much better over stock.  But, the red LED's are imbedded down in an unusual chrome reflector.

TTS Mastertune

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2007, 08:23:47 AM »

and the closeup view...here you can just bareley make out some of the red

What red?

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2007, 08:41:46 AM »

What red?

wishfull thinking???  There is a little in the top left on my screen...

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2007, 09:45:19 AM »

so
if im reading this right..LED bulbs in the stock housing wont have the glare problems in direct sunlight?
id sure hate to get run over b/c of a cool taillight.

is the consensus to stick some LED bulbs in the stock housing?

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2007, 10:06:21 AM »

Odd, Bill...you can see the turn signal LED's just fine.  Are those run/brake as well?  If so, it's a product of the Kury smoked lens apparently.

TTS Mastertune

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2007, 10:09:56 AM »

yes, they are Panacea turn/tail/brake lights

/Bill

Odd, Bill...you can see the turn signal LED's just fine.  Are those run/brake as well?  If so, it's a product of the Kury smoked lens apparently.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2007, 10:12:43 AM »

so
if im reading this right..LED bulbs in the stock housing wont have the glare problems in direct sunlight?
id sure hate to get run over b/c of a cool taillight.

is the consensus to stick some LED bulbs in the stock housing?

Scot...looks like either an array like I put in mine or the bulb replacement like Rjob is using will work.  Mine's got several more LED's but it also cost a lot more and is more difficult to get in installed because of having to remove the chrome inner piece from the stock lens, then reinstall.  I think it's got something like 46 red LED's on the rectangular array pictured laying on the dirty piece of scrap carpet in my basement "shop".

TTS Mastertune

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2007, 10:37:56 AM »

Bill, I wasn't going to name names but when I was behind you on the CC run the time lag to figure out you were slowing down was trecherous when the sun was over our shoulders.

Thanks for the shots of your bike under braking, it demonstrates exactly what we are referencing.

Rog

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2007, 10:39:12 AM »

I wasn't braking in that shot...

Bill, I wasn't going to name names but when I was behind you on the CC run the time lag to figure out you were slowing down was trecherous when the sun was over our shoulders.

Thanks for the shots of your bike under braking, it demonstrates exactly what we are referencing.

Rog

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2007, 10:42:15 AM »

I wasn't braking in that shot...

Yes you were ;D

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2007, 10:44:23 AM »

OK
Terry ..your install sounds like SURGERY!!!!  Iappreciate the input from all..i'll look at it and see...

I noticed when I was with dave and helen that his brake lights get lost with the sun shining on that bright orange punkin of his.....

kinda got me thinkin about this....

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2007, 10:47:58 AM »

OK
Terry ..your install sounds like SURGERY!!!!  Iappreciate the input from all..i'll look at it and see...
I noticed when I was with dave and helen that his brake lights get lost with the sun shining on that bright orange punkin of his.....
kinda got me thinkin about this....

Scot,

I just used the LED bulb replacement in my stock lens, no surgery and lots of light, even when not braking.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2007, 11:20:10 AM »

Then the LED strip on must tour pac lid seam must be out   :oops:
Yes you were ;D

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2007, 11:23:30 AM »

Then the LED strip on must tour pac lid seam must be out   :oops:

I have seen the light!

rubaga

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2010 SESG
    • CVO2: 08 SERK Anniversary
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2007, 07:45:47 PM »

To be honest on the black bike I like red tail light more. White somehow seems out of place.

I know its all about individual tastes. So do not throw too many stones at me. Just my two cents.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2007, 06:26:32 PM »

Just an additional comment here after a conversation with the folks at Custom Dynamics about some turn signals I have ordered and the visibility/non-visibilty issues in the sun...they sell Kury products, Radiantz, and others.

This is simply an observation and in no way a knock on Kury LED products...further, these are my comments and not those of any vendor.

The Radiantz LED's are not the same as those used by Kury.  They are much, much brighter array's.  That is why they cost more.  So if you are considering LED's on the back of your scoot, consider this fact before you make the purchase.

TTS Mastertune

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2007, 11:56:09 AM »

Thanks for the tip  :2vrolijk_21:

pcr02hd

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2007, 09:25:34 PM »

Question for those running LED bulbs in the turn signals.

If using the Harley turn signal brake light conversion was a load equalizer required to run LED bulbs in the turn signals?

I’m going to place an order and was wondering if I should go with a Harley module or if I should go with the Badlands Illuminator module that includes the load equalizer in it.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2007, 12:09:34 AM »

If using the Harley turn signal brake light conversion was a load equalizer required to run LED bulbs in the turn signals?

I’m going to place an order and was wondering if I should go with a Harley module or if I should go with the Badlands Illuminator module that includes the load equalizer in it.

pcr,
I've got the LEDs as turn signals. I used the HD module, it was an easy install. You'll need the Drag Specialities LED red bulbs. Don't use the Kuryakn bulbs, they will not fit the housing.

I did not use a load equalizer. The lights flash faster but that is fine with me for now. I used the exact same set up on my Deuce. The part numbers are the same because they both use the bullet style turn signals. AJ

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2007, 09:56:55 AM »

Custom Dynamics offers up everything you need to do this conversion, if you want to take a look at their website.  It's all plug and play.  From my understanding, the load equalizer also prevents quirkly stuff with the alarm system.

TTS Mastertune
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 24 queries.