Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NEED A QUICK LESSON ON BRAKE PADS  (Read 797 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
NEED A QUICK LESSON ON BRAKE PADS
« on: May 16, 2012, 09:52:16 PM »

My question about brake pads is in reference my '76 FLH Shovelhead.

This bike has banana single piston calipers front and rear. They both use the same pads.

When I restored the bike about 6 years ago I rebuilt both calipers and they seem to work, but the stopping power is slim to none.

I rode it for a few years and just knew to slow down sooner than later. I swapped bikes with the guy i bought it from and we rode probably 25 miles that way. He has an '03 CVO Duece with great brakes.

Well the first stop sign he came to, he ran it. He asked if the brakes were even working. I assured him if he squeezed and smashed the pedal, he would stop.

I can skid the rear wheel, but it does take a very strong right leg.

Now my question.

What type of brake pad will give me better stopping power. I'm thinking of putting it up for sale and I want it to be as safe as it can be without upgrading to some type of dual piston caliper that just won't look right.

So what should I buy?

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
Re: NEED A QUICK LESSON ON BRAKE PADS
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 10:49:54 PM »

not only did those brakes require gorrila hand strength and foot pressure

at least half the guys i rode with back then took the front brakes off entirely and tossed them and rode with just one of those miserable calipers in the back, hell lots of guys ran with one rear drum brake.

the joke was that the headlight was so you could see what you were about to hit

seriously, the best you can do is new pads and hope the buyers knows that shovels dont stop too fast

to

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
Re: NEED A QUICK LESSON ON BRAKE PADS
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 11:19:59 AM »

If your really concerned, check the calipers to make sure they are not sticking and the pistons actually move! They where somewhat famous for NOT moving. I'd suggest SBS brake pads in the HH type, the original organics made even poor fishing weights. Good luck with the old girl.  twinotter

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 25 queries.