Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All

Author Topic: Hot Weather Riding Gear?  (Read 36424 times)

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
Hot weather gear
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2014, 08:38:28 PM »

It's been 3 years since this thread stopped.....

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=63586.90

So I thought I'd re-visit it as a lot has changed with clothing over the last 3 years

I spent quite a bit of time researching some gear that might help in the extremely warm and humid temps. I am really leaning towards the Olympia Air Glide 3 pants and Air Glide 4 jacket.

I never spent much time before thinking of this stuff. I usually just throw on jeans and boots and a T-shirt. But now my wife and I are taking much longer rides and we're interested in finding gear that not only provides some air flow / coolness, but also protection from the sun and also in case of going down. Because let's face it there is going to come a time when that protection pays for itself in spades.

So today I wore some under armor under my jeans, and that alone made a difference. Right now I am on Revzilla and looking at wicking riding socks and riding boots with mesh.

Thoughts?
-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
Re: Hot weather gear
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2014, 11:01:08 PM »

I just bought the Tour Master Air Intake 3 jacket from Revzilla and Held Rodney gloves (insanely fast delivery, ordered around noon yesterday and they showed up at my work about 24 hours later and free shipping). I took the gloves and cut off the end of the fingers and punched holes between what was left as well as the back of the hand. The mesh on the TM jacket is very large holes which I think will move quite a bit of air and the armor in the shoulders and elbows feels very solid. I did have to change out the back armor to a Klim (also vented) because the one that came with the jacket was cheesy.
Alan

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2014, 11:04:38 PM »

Also to explain the gloves, I have tried a couple of pairs of the "fingerless" HD gloves and I hate how they feel grip wise when I ride. My other gloves are Held with the Kangaroo leather palms and I absolutely love them (best gloves I have ever used by far) so I figured I would just make my own "fingerless" gloves and not lose the feel.
Alan

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2014, 01:47:49 PM »

Also to explain the gloves, I have tried a couple of pairs of the "fingerless" HD gloves and I hate how they feel grip wise when I ride. My other gloves are Held with the Kangaroo leather palms and I absolutely love them (best gloves I have ever used by far) so I figured I would just make my own "fingerless" gloves and not lose the feel.
Can you post us a pic of your 'modified' gloves?  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

Re: Hot Weather Riding Gear?
« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2014, 01:18:05 AM »

I would have preferred the balk ones but they were not in stock and I knew I was going on a 300 mile trip today (which I did and the gloves were amazing!) so I took this color. I punched some larger holes in the back and thumb and cut out the inner lining on the back also
Alan

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2014, 01:18:58 AM »

I would have preferred the balk ones but they were not in stock and I knew I was going on a 300 mile trip today (which I did and the gloves were amazing!) so I took this color. I punched some larger holes in the back and thumb and cut out the inner lining on the back also
The front
Alan

NWbiker

• Full CVO Member
    • OR

« Reply #111 on: July 13, 2014, 01:46:29 AM »

I sometimes wear a first gear mesh jacket and even at times when it's really hot I will soak my T-shirt in water then put the mesh jacket on over it. I've also used cool ties, those are the ones that you soak in water then tie them around your neck. The material they use swells and lasts for a long time. The important thing is keeping your body temp down and drink a lot of fluid.
2014 CVO Ultra Limited
2003 Heritage Springer Classic

kmh364

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #112 on: July 21, 2014, 10:42:56 AM »

Start with a good, wicking skin layer. There's plenty of choices out there. I've been using Cycle Gear's house brand Heat Out stuff. It's cheap. gives you some fatigue-delaying muscle compression, and really helps you manage the sweat. I've also been using SiDi's silver-content wicking socks which are comfy and prevent the "swamp foot" you get with cotton socks in hot weather. Combine those with a pair of ventilated Riding shoes (SiDi Doha's are my current favorite), and your feet are good to go. Armoured riding jeans work well with the skin layer, and ventilated textile riding pants are better yet. I wear a ventilated motocross jersey over the skin layer (again, Cycle Gear's BILT line is dirt cheap and works great). While any ventilated MESH armoured riding jacket will do, I've had good results with both my Cortech DS Air 1/2's and Olympia Airglide 2/3's. I also wear a helmet liner (Heat Out, Head Slicks, etc), which helps to keep you cool as well. Add one of those cooling vests, cooling neck wraps, or simply soak your shirt/skin layer with cool water in a pinch, and you're chillin' like a villian.

Drinking plenty of fluids often (good time for a riding break) is a must, as well as making sure you're eating small nutrient-dense/fat calorie sparse meals every two/three hours is always a good idea. It keeps your blood sugar and energy levels constant to delay muscle and brain fatigue.

While no helmet, shades, a tee and jeans may make you look cool, you last a lot longer in the heat if your control you exposure to the elements and manage your perspiration. In addition, the aformentioned "cool" riding apparel won't do much for you in the event of misfortune.

Regards,

Kevin M Hogan
MSF #121548
NJ MVC DCN 618

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #113 on: July 21, 2014, 06:10:30 PM »

Start with a good, wicking skin layer. There's plenty of choices out there. I've been using Cycle Gear's house brand Heat Out stuff. It's cheap. gives you some fatigue-delaying muscle compression, and really helps you manage the sweat. I've also been using SiDi's silver-content wicking socks which are comfy and prevent the "swamp foot" you get with cotton socks in hot weather. Combine those with a pair of ventilated Riding shoes (SiDi Doha's are my current favorite), and your feet are good to go. Armoured riding jeans work well with the skin layer, and ventilated textile riding pants are better yet. I wear a ventilated motocross jersey over the skin layer (again, Cycle Gear's BILT line is dirt cheap and works great). While any ventilated MESH armoured riding jacket will do, I've had good results with both my Cortech DS Air 1/2's and Olympia Airglide 2/3's. I also wear a helmet liner (Heat Out, Head Slicks, etc), which helps to keep you cool as well. Add one of those cooling vests, cooling neck wraps, or simply soak your shirt/skin layer with cool water in a pinch, and you're chillin' like a villian.

Drinking plenty of fluids often (good time for a riding break) is a must, as well as making sure you're eating small nutrient-dense/fat calorie sparse meals every two/three hours is always a good idea. It keeps your blood sugar and energy levels constant to delay muscle and brain fatigue.

While no helmet, shades, a tee and jeans may make you look cool, you last a lot longer in the heat if your control you exposure to the elements and manage your perspiration. In addition, the aformentioned "cool" riding apparel won't do much for you in the event of misfortune.

Regards,

Kevin M Hogan
MSF #121548
NJ MVC DCN 618

All good points no doubt. Just wanted to add I don't wear no helmet, jeans, t shirt, and shades to look cool. I do it because that's what I wear riding or driving my car lol. To each his own though. Thanks for the info on the wicking products!

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

kmh364

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2014, 02:48:31 PM »

You're welcome.

Understood.

My comments regarding ATTGAT instead of a T-shirt and a smile were not aimed at anyone in particular. We're all adults, and it's up to the individual as to the level of risk he/she will subject themselves to if he/she rides and it all goes wrong.

I tell all my students to dress for the ride, not the crash. Comfort is paramount as distraction on a motorcycle can be deadly. I remind them, however, that you get off the bike (i.e., fall, crash, etc.) with whatever gear you got on the bike with.

Food for thought.

Regards,

K.M Hogan
MSF #121548

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2014, 11:38:04 PM »

You're welcome.

Understood.

My comments regarding ATTGAT instead of a T-shirt and a smile were not aimed at anyone in particular. We're all adults, and it's up to the individual as to the level of risk he/she will subject themselves to if he/she rides and it all goes wrong.

I tell all my students to dress for the ride, not the crash. Comfort is paramount as distraction on a motorcycle can be deadly. I remind them, however, that you get off the bike (i.e., fall, crash, etc.) with whatever gear you got on the bike with.

Food for thought.

Regards,

K.M Hogan
MSF #121548

I agree 100%. I've gone down in a T shirt and jeans. Left alot of my forearm skin on the pavement. Not fun.

Jesse

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2014, 10:20:29 AM »

I had a lot less trouble with heat this year. Not that my gear was so much better but it never really stayed warm here in E TN. I have found that I like the long sleeve fishing style shirts with the billowing sleeves and back vent. I have been asked about wearing long sleeves in the summer and I think wearing a white or very light color with the right material feels even cooler than the ubiquitous short sleeve T shirts. It keeps the sun off of me and I don't have to slather down with all that greasy sunscreen.

Next year I am going to look into the underwear thing mentioned on another couple of threads.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 24 queries.