Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: 2013 CVO Road Gilde tach ratcheting on decel  (Read 6530 times)

EGrunt

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road Glide Custom
2013 CVO Road Gilde tach ratcheting on decel
« on: July 29, 2013, 10:25:16 PM »

I need some input from other CVO Road Glide owners, the tach on my 13 CVO RG ratchets on decel since I bought it new. The tach moves approx 200 rpm's downward and stops approximately 1-2 seconds and then moves downward. I took my bike in for the 1k service and they ( HD service department) initially told me the first day they had the bike that it was test ridden and they duplicated the discrepancy and that the tach might need to be replaced. Two days later my bike s ready and the technician working on my bike says it is within specs. I have owned numerous HD's and other bikes and never have any other of my bikes did the tach ratchet on decel. Are there any other CVO owners that have their tachs ratceting on decel.
2013 CVO Road Glide
2007 Road Glide: Sold 12/23/12
2013 BMW R1200RTP (Duty Bike): In Service 12/01/12
2004 BMW R1150RTP (Duty Bike): Out of Service 12/01/12
2008 BMW K1200S: Sold 01/28/13

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: 2013 CVO Road Gilde tach ratcheting on decel
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 10:29:19 PM »

I need some input from other CVO Road Glide owners, the tach on my 13 CVO RG ratchets on decel since I bought it new. The tach moves approx 200 rpm's downward and stops approximately 1-2 seconds and then moves downward. I took my bike in for the 1k service and they ( HD service department) initially told me the first day they had the bike that it was test ridden and they duplicated the discrepancy and that the tach might need to be replaced. Two days later my bike s ready and the technician working on my bike says it is within specs. I have owned numerous HD's and other bikes and never have any other of my bikes did the tach ratchet on decel. Are there any other CVO owners that have their tachs ratceting on decel.

This is where you call "bullchit" and tell the guy you want to see the specification he's quoting.  Factory specs are published.  Tell him you want to see the factory spec on "tach needle ratcheting."  Then when he doesn't have any spec that in any way relates to smoothness of operation of the tach needle tell him to install a new tach and shove the old one up his ass.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 10:34:43 PM »

This is where you call "bullchit" and tell the guy you want to see the specification he's quoting.  Factory specs are published.  Tell him you want to see the factory spec on "tach needle ratcheting."  Then when he doesn't have any spec that in any way relates to smoothness of operation of the tach needle tell him to install a new tach and shove the old one up his ass.

Excellent suggestion...

I'm no longer surprised by anything that spews out of the mouths of factory MOCO dealership service department employees...   :(
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

EGrunt

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 04:50:52 AM »

The whole 1k service has been a major pain in the **s. The 1K service was free and I thought this would be a easy service. I made the appointment and the service department told me that it would take 3.0 hours to do the 1k service and I needed to get the cow bell on the fork assembly changed out due to being dented when I purchased the bike. The service department told me 3.0 hours to change out the cow bell. So I was looking at 6.0 hours for the 1k service and the cow bell remove and replace. I drop the bike off at 0900 hours on Saturday and I told them about the tach issue. I go about my day with my wife and we are planning on going to Las Vegas that evening after we pick up the bike and put it back in the garage. So after shopping with the wife all day, I return to the dealer at 1600 hours on Saturday ( I never received a phone call from the dealership) and I see my bike sitting in front of the service department on the street. I walk over to the bike and I look to see if the cow bell has been changed and it has not been changed out. I talk to the service advisor (name withheld) and I ask him what the status on my bike is. He stares at me for several seconds without saying a word and then the lady service advisor next to him says she will look into it. The original service advisor then states the tach problem will involve removing the fairing and troubleshooting and they did not work on the bike. He then stated that they wanted to minimize the amount of time the front fairing was taken apart. I thought to myself this is a road glide and not a street glide and the tach assembly is in a pod assembly outside the fairing. I take a deep breath and ask why the 1k service was not preformed along with the cow bell replacement, I get the RCA dog look from the service advisor and his lips are not moving with any explanation. I spent 20 years in the Marine Corps as a UH-1N and AH-1W helicopter mechanic and a crew chief chief on the UH-1N (Huey). As a young Marine I turned wrenches on the birds and as I rose in rank I moved into management as the Maintenance Control Chief. Basically I was a service manger prioritizing the maintenance that was going to be performed on the squadron’s aircraft. The reason I bring this up is, I am familiar with prioritizing maintenance tasks. I made an appointment to get the service done on my bike and it just sat all day long. My wife told me since I left the bike and did not wait for the work to be completed they put it on the side. She is already busting my chops for not buying the BMW K1600GT (that is another story for another time). I ask why the 1k service has not been completed and why cow bell was not removes and replaced and the service advisor states the tach problem was going to take further trouble shooting after the technician test drove the bike. He then tells me the bike will be completed tomorrow and maybe as late as Monday morning. We leave the dealership and off to Las Vegas we go. On Sunday I call at 1600 hours and the original service advisor is not there and I informed the bike is on a lift but no work has been completed and the bike is scheduled to be done on Tuesday. To make a long story short, I tell her the bike is supposed to be done on Monday and at the latest on Monday according to the original service advisor. I tell her that Tuesday is not an option and that it is ridiculous that a 1k service along with the cow bell change and troubleshooting the tach issue should take 4 days. She agreed and told me the bike would be done on Monday. Well the bike was done on Monday but the tach issue remains. The ironic thing is the same dealership took 2 days to do my first service on my 07 RG. Thanks for letting me vent. A simple phone call to let me know what was going on with my bike would have went a long way with me.         
2013 CVO Road Glide

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 08:46:34 AM »

That's a heluva service department you're working with.  Any better options within a comfortable range?  Why did you let the minions at the service counter get away with the general disregard (or utter lack of response)?  The dealership has a food chain.  Growl uphill.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 09:10:16 AM »

I'm reminded of that saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.  They screwed you around on a previous bike, so it's not surprising the same dealership would do it again.  This sort of thing tends to be part of the culture of the particular business.  In other words, it happens where the dealer/manager allows this crap to happen, and it doesn't happen where the owner/manager does not tolerate BS from employee's.

Anyhow, if all you do is talk to the clueless service advisor you won't get satisfaction.  Take Twolanerider's advice and move up the food chain to the top dog.  If his or her attitude is similar to the dweebs in the service department, you have found the real problem.  If you then continue to do business with this place, don't be surprised when you get crappy service.

Not trying to be an ass, but sugar coating it isn't going to help either.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 10:46:18 AM »

I'd go to another dealer. That one appears to be full of incompetent, uncaring morons!

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 12:58:00 PM »

I'd go to another dealer. That one appears to be full of incompetent, uncaring morons!

Ken

There's a difference between well intentioned but incompetent and lazy careless jackasses who just don't want to do the job and make excuses to avoid it.  If someone is really trying and just can't handle the task, they're just not competent to get the job done, I'll give them slack.  They tried as well as they can.  They might not get second chances on my dime but they're not going to get reamed so long as they make good for any damage they might have caused in their failed effort.

On the other hand....  if someone is just making chit up to avoid even trying; or worse they're trying only half-assed attempts and making excuses for those too it's a real problem.  Perhaps the only thing as bad or as annoying is letting them get away with it unscathed and/or giving them a second bite at the apple to do it to e again.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 01:55:09 PM »

There's a difference between well intentioned but incompetent and lazy careless jackasses who just don't want to do the job and make excuses to avoid it.  If someone is really trying and just can't handle the task, they're just not competent to get the job done, I'll give them slack.  They tried as well as they can.  They might not get second chances on my dime but they're not going to get reamed so long as they make good for any damage they might have caused in their failed effort.

On the other hand....  if someone is just making chit up to avoid even trying; or worse they're trying only half-assed attempts and making excuses for those too it's a real problem.  Perhaps the only thing as bad or as annoying is letting them get away with it unscathed and/or giving them a second bite at the apple to do it to e again.

Well said, as usual!  :2vrolijk_21:

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 07:54:56 PM »

Sorry to hear about your hassle. Unfortunately there are some crappy dealers around and also some good ones. A good service dept is the biggest thing I look for when moving to a new area and checking out dealers. We have a good one in my area, usually on point with good techs who have been there for years.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

EGrunt

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 08:17:29 AM »

I called HD corporate directly and discussed the issue with my tach and they gave me service number to give to the dealership. The bike was dropped off at the dealership last night and they could see that the tach was ratcheting on decel. While I was talking with the service advisor another person joined us at my bike and stated that since it has the 110 engine it is a mapping issue and that he had to call HD several months ago for the same issue on another bike and this is what HD corporate told him.

So for other 2013 CVO RG owners, does your tach ratchet on decel?
2013 CVO Road Glide

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 09:00:54 AM »

another person joined us at my bike and stated that since it has the 110 engine it is a mapping issue and that he had to call HD several months ago for the same issue on another bike and this is what HD corporate told him.

how can it be a mapping issue?  unless your map is so far out of whack that it is making your engine fluctuate rpms when you decel, the map would have nothing to do with the gauge.  maybe i'm wrong, but i just don't see it.....
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 11:59:12 AM »

how can it be a mapping issue?  unless your map is so far out of whack that it is making your engine fluctuate rpms when you decel, the map would have nothing to do with the gauge.  maybe i'm wrong, but i just don't see it.....

I assumed he meant electronic programming for the gauges, not the calibration (map) that we all think of that comprises the "tune".   

If it actually was a mistake in the programming, I'd expect to see all the bikes having the same problem.  The 2013's have been out for almost a full year now, and I haven't seen anyone else complaining about this issue.  So either all the other customers have been very inattentive, or there is just something wrong with this particular bike or a batch of gauges.  I'm guessing it's something with this particular bike or gauge.

Anyway, it's not normal for the gauges to do that, so the dealer and H-D need to step up and fix the problem, not blow the customer off like they seem to prefer as their number one response to complaints.  Good luck.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 10:45:45 PM »

Not seeing any tach ratcheting on mine. Good luck, sounds like you need at that place!

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 09:44:50 AM »

The tach on my SEUC acts a little strange on decel, not sure if I would call it ratcheting but it may be similar. It seems to hang at around 1-200 rpm intervals for a moment, less than a half second probably but long enough to be noticeable. I thought it was probably because it is electronic and not programmed to sample as often on decel, it is smooth on acceleration.

EGrunt

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013, 09:35:31 AM »

Got a call from the dealership on Friday evening and they are going to replace the tach. They downloaded the most current map (June of 2013) to my bike and the problem was still there. Then they hooked up a non CVO tach and it worked as advertised (no ratcheting). The CVO tach is on back order till 8/15/13. The dealership is throwing in my 5k service for free. 
2013 CVO Road Glide

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2013, 09:42:42 AM »

Got a call from the dealership on Friday evening and they are going to replace the tach. They downloaded the most current map (June of 2013) to my bike and the problem was still there. Then they hooked up a non CVO tach and it worked as advertised (no ratcheting). The CVO tach is on back order till 8/15/13. The dealership is throwing in my 5k service for free. 

Are they going to take the tech that initially told you the tach "ratcheting" was "within spec" out behind their shop and beat the livin' chit out of him for lying to you rather than fix the problem?    :nixweiss:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2013, 03:41:11 PM »

Are they going to take the tech that initially told you the tach "ratcheting" was "within spec" out behind their shop and beat the livin' chit out of him for lying to you rather than fix the problem?    :nixweiss:

prolly not.  they are going  to send him to class on how to be more convincing when delivering 'they all do that', 'its within specs', 'normal', etc.....
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2013, 05:23:08 PM »

I could be wrong Scott, but I have the feeling that most Harley shops wouldn't get mad at him for lying but they might have a word with him about being more convincing with his lies in the future.  Customers are becoming better educated thanks to forums like this one, so the BS has to be of better quality and delivered with more sincerity.  I think ekim60 has the right idea, a new class at the MoCo to teach these guys how to be more convincing when spouting pure BS.

Jerry

swedgeblock

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2013, 07:27:23 PM »

That's funny, just today I noticed my tach "floating".  It was showing 3500 rpm when it was probably turning 2500.
Then I noticed that it wouldn't fall below 3000.  My next stop when I shut her off, it reset to zero after a second, then when I left the tach acted normal.  Maybe 40 miles into the ride it started floating and not dropping below 3000 (needle only, not actual revs)
I'm gonna swing by HD this week and see what they say.  My other bike never had a tach, so its not something I really watch anyway.  I canfeel when I need to shift!  But its under warranty
'13 FLTRXSE2 Anv
'01 FXDWG

cbtruckin

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2013, 11:32:39 PM »

My tach does it too.  Also the great double sided tape on my amp in the saddlebag has come loose and rattling around.

Just don't want to be without my bike for 5 days while they do 1 hour worth of work.
Corey

fire72dawg

• CVO1: 2013 Road Glide 110th Anniversary Model
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2013, 09:44:55 PM »

My tach is doing the same thing (ratcheting/sticking).  My Harley dealer ordered me a new tach from the start, no BS involved.  It was backordered but I received an update from the dealership today that it should arrive by 8 Aug. 

Classic45

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRUSE
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 03:41:26 PM »

My tach behaves like that too. No fault code and difficult to show to the techs--
2000 FLSTC Heritage Softail Classic
2005 FLHRC Road King Classic
2008 FLHTCUSE3
2010 FLHXE
2013 FLTRXSE2

Iron Butt Association Membership Number: 38579

tomroozendaal

• Junior CVO Member
  • Begeren is beter dan het beheren...!!!

• CVO1: CVO Raod Glide Custom 2013
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2013, 04:52:29 PM »

So for other 2013 CVO RG owners, does your tach ratchet on decel?

Yes I have the same problem.. Went to my dealer and getting mine changed. At first they didn't believe it, that's when I got my iPhone out and showed them the short film I made.

Now I'm waiting to get a phone call to get mine fixed
Be yourself, there are plenty of other..!!!

2013SERG

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2013, 03:08:07 PM »

Is there a real fix? Mine does that too, you can really see it on start up.
2013 SERG Longhorn Burnt Orange
D&D Fat Cat
Power commander
Fueling 574 Reaper cams
C&C custom gel seat, pillion and tour pack rest.
Buky custom made these 12's x 1'&1/2
Custom paint done by Doug Starbuck in Riverside CA.

tomroozendaal

• Junior CVO Member
  • Begeren is beter dan het beheren...!!!

• CVO1: CVO Raod Glide Custom 2013
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2013, 01:59:16 AM »

Is there a real fix? Mine does that too, you can really see it on start up.

Just get yours changed @ your HD dealer.
Be yourself, there are plenty of other..!!!

bostonCVO

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 03:52:16 PM »

same issue tack ratch sticks goes all the way around. It is being replaced under warranty Thursday. Sounds like they got a bad batch.

Atomic Shark

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 09:47:22 AM »

Mine was doing it too and here is what the problem is. The metal face of the tach for lack of a better description was not glued very well and was about 1/4 inch off the face and catching the needle. they got me and a friend of mine new tachs. 

cbtruckin

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2013, 10:29:19 AM »

Atomic Shark,

I see exactly what you mean.  Mine has come unglued, but speedo is flush.  Still putting off taking to dealer.
Thanks,
Corey

2013SERG

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2013, 03:51:34 PM »

Yes I have the same problem.. Went to my dealer and getting mine changed. At first they didn't believe it, that's when I got my iPhone out and showed them the short film I made.

Now I'm waiting to get a phone call to get mine fixed

Surprised they didn't blame it on the iPhone :)
2013 SERG Longhorn Burnt Orange
D&D Fat Cat
Power commander
Fueling 574 Reaper cams
C&C custom gel seat, pillion and tour pack rest.
Buky custom made these 12's x 1'&1/2
Custom paint done by Doug Starbuck in Riverside CA.

bostonCVO

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2013, 02:44:54 PM »

New tack installed under warranty problem solved.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 21 queries.