Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Answers to Problems with the Navigation Interface Module Part # 76000024  (Read 56563 times)

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Answers to Problems with the Navigation Interface Module Part # 76000024
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 06:01:41 PM »

I have a 09 SERG ,I am adding a xm radio from HD and I have a Garmin zumo 660 with 4.10 update,I called Garmin and they told me the only difference between the zumo 660 and the roadtech was dealership locaions.I read on here that it won't work.I have the ultra wiring harness and the 69003 ? along with the interface.I got the xm working but am lost as to wiring in the interface and now I don't know if the zumo will work any help would be appreciated.

Can't help with the "will it work" question.  As for the wiring, you've already installed the non-Ultra overlay harness, p/n 70169-06 (it's a huge harness with a 35 wire connector that plugs into the back of the HK radio), and that harness also has a connector with a tag on it labeled "interconnect" that you connected to a mating connector on your bike.  That latter mated connection is connector 6 referenced in the NIM instructions.  It is that connector that you separate per the NIM installation instructions and install the NIM/Ipod harness using the 6B and 6A connectors to the connectors you separated; those connectors will only go together one way since they're male/female connections.  The loose ended wires go into the 35 wire connector (a/k/a connector 28) per the instructions.

Carl

Randy C

• Full CVO Member
  • 09 SERG Silver and Titanium Dust

• CVO1: 09 Serg Silver Titanium Dust V&H power header,TT race tuner,Fullsac 2.25 baffles,Windsvest windshield,Mustang seat,Garman 665gps,Riders claw
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 07:06:17 PM »

I hooked up everything except for the lose wires so far ,it seemed to easy,thats why I asked.The directions don't show where the auxillary connector goes,or what its for. I'm waiting for someone to let me know if my zumo 660 will work before I finish wiring it. Thanks Carl
Growing old isn't for sissys and growing up  isn't an option!

Envithyx

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Summer Rain" 07/24/1963 - 07/07/2010

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 - Cherry Red w/ Flames and Glass Eyed Skulls
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHTK - Cherry Red Sunglo / Merlot Sunglo w/ Flamin' Eagle Theme
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 02:25:08 AM »

You guys are great!  I have the HD RoadTech 665 with XM.  I was disappointed that I couldn't utilize all of the functions of this GPS in a cleaner fashion than connecting to the aux.  I will be cut and pasting all of your great advice into a word doc and installing the NIM on my bike soon.  Thanks again.

Just to be clear, you will still need to plug into the AUX line to hear the XM, MP3, and audiobook sources from the GPS.  The NIM will allow you to use the navigation functions while on any audio source, or in the case if you choose not to wire up to AUX line.

Also, if you have an amp on the tourpack, you might run into a ground loop situation.  Here's the thread where I reported what I found.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=57193.0

I was able to get rid of the noise by installing a ground loop isolator between the NIM's input and the y-cable that splits the audio from the GPS to both the NIM and the Aux port on the radio.

Good luck with the project. :)  :2vrolijk_21:
2009 FXSTSSE3
Custom Paint/Wild 1 Chubby Drag Bars/V&H 2-1 Big Radius/ThunderMax

2011 FLHTK
Custom Paint/Wild 1 Bagger Bars
V&H Duals w/ M. Ovals, Ness AC, PC-V Auto Tune and SEPST Base Tune
V&H ThrottlePak
SE Pro Stage III - 10.5:1, SE259E
HD Mirrors w/ LED Aux Running
HD LED Lighting: 7" w/ Bezel Trim, 4" Aux, Turn Sigs (Smk Frnt, Red Rear), Tail Light (Chrome), Fenders (Smk Frnt, Red Rear w/Brake)
Zumo 665 - Fairing Mnt - NIM
Boom Audio Spks, Amp, Bass Booster
Chromed Out

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 06:20:41 AM »

I have a 09 SERG ,I am adding a xm radio from HD and I have a Garmin zumo 660 with 4.10 update,I called Garmin and they told me the only difference between the zumo 660 and the roadtech was dealership locaions.I read on here that it won't work.I have the ultra wiring harness and the 69003 ? along with the interface.I got the xm working but am lost as to wiring in the interface and now I don't know if the zumo will work any help would be appreciated.

According to Harley the NIM will only work with a Road Tech. The update has to come from the Harley website not the Garmin website. You have gone this far you might want to continue and try it. let us know what happens. Once installed if it does not work you can upgrade your GPS if you wanted to and sell the Garmin Zumo.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 06:45:32 AM by bissjim »
Ride It Like You Are Retired

Randy C

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 Serg Silver Titanium Dust V&H power header,TT race tuner,Fullsac 2.25 baffles,Windsvest windshield,Mustang seat,Garman 665gps,Riders claw
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 10:24:39 PM »

With the Roadtech 660 can you listen to the fm and the other audios without plugging into the aux port ,and do you still need the interface.And what does wire in the aux line mean? I think I am confusing my self,I think the term Electronically Challenged applies here.

Envithyx

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 02:32:43 AM »

With the Roadtech 660 can you listen to the fm and the other audios without plugging into the aux port ,and do you still need the interface.And what does wire in the aux line mean? I think I am confusing my self,I think the term Electronically Challenged applies here.

Hope this clarifies and hopefully this isn't too long.

The Roadtech 660 has a few different sources of audio output - Navigational Prompts, MP3 playback, and Audiobook playback.  The 665 adds XM Radio.

In order to hear anything from the GPS, you have to route the audio out from the GPS with a cable, to the AUX input of your radio - e.g. wire in the aux line.  Then you must select AUX as your audio source on the radio.

In this mode, you can not listen to FM, AM, CD, etc. and still hear the navigational prompts.  But at least while here, they gave you the ability to listen to MP3s, audiobooks, or XM (665) while using the GPS to get around.

Of course, you don't have to ever listen to the GPS navigational prompts and can continue to listen to your choice of audio (FM, CD, etc.).

Now enter in the Navigation Interface Module.  With this accessory installed, the rules change a bit.

The audio out of the GPS is routed to the NIM so that the NIM can listen to the GPS audio stream for two purposes.  One is to listen for a signal from the RoadTech only version of the GPS.  This is how it knows the GPS is about to speak (Turn Left, etc.).  When it hears the signal, it will interupt whatever audio source is on the radio much like the CB does.  Doesn't matter if your on FM, CD, or weather band.

Then the NIM will route whatever audio it continues to hear from the GPS to your HK radio and then release the radio back to the original audio source when it hears a termination signal from the GPS - not 100% confirmed on the term signal.  Since the NIM has interrupted whatever mode you were in (FM, CD, etc) you will hear the Nav prompt and this is really cool.  This audio interruption is a mono source, and uses the bluetooth phone channel of the KH Radio (for those who like extra details).

Now let's throw in the CVO factory wiring aspect into the mix.

The factory setup of the CVOs in question, is to wire the GPS audio only to the NIM.  This allows you to listen to your favorite audio source and hear NAV prompts.  However, it poses one specific challenge.

You have no way to listen to the other audio sources of the GPS (MP3, Audibook, or XM in the case of the 665).  In order to listen to those audio sources on the GPS, you have to open up the fairing and split the GPS audio out with a y-cable and run one line to the NIM and one to the AUX input of your radio.

Now you have a few choices. You can select your audio source of choice.  Should it be the audio sources on the GPS, you would just select AUX over any of the other available choices.

Now, here's the fun part.  If your on AUX and you are listening to say MP3s, and the GPS has a Nav prompt to boast, the following happens.  The NIM will interrupt the AUX channel to get the NAV prompt to the radio.  Doesn't matter that you were already listening to the GPS via the AUX line.  It essentially will interrupt itself.  No big deal really, but it is a source of one bug.  I won't go into that here unless someone asks.

Let me know if this put everything into perspective, or if you have additional questions.

- Jeff
2009 FXSTSSE3

2011 FLHTK
V&H ThrottlePak
HD LED Lighting: 7" w/ Bezel Trim, 4" Aux, Turn Sigs (Smk Frnt, Red Rear), Tail Light (Chrome), Fenders (Smk Frnt, Red Rear w/Brake)
Chromed Out

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 06:31:31 AM »

Nice write up Jeff.

Let me add one more thing to the fray. If you are like me and you very seldom listen to the FM, AM or weather band on the radio then you really do not even need the NIM. Just connect the stereo audio output from the GPS to the Auxiliary input of the radio and bypass the NIM.

I have over 1200 MP3 songs loaded onto the memory card in my GPS along with XM radio, an weather radar this eliminates the need to listen to the CD, AM or FM or weather band on the radio. I very seldom ride with others who use the CB, when I do I use the CB I am riding with some one who knows where they are going and I do not need the GPS for navigation. I have used my CB less then 6 times in over 2 years, of course this does not apply to every one.

I hate listening to FM on the radio because of the fading in and out of the station as I am riding. I hate having to search for another radio station on longer trips, I just listen to my tunes or XM on the GPS and as long as I am listening to the GPS audio souses I will always hear the turn prompt.

Once in awhile if the weather looks like it may open up on me I use the GPS again for a weather report complete with radar. If I get a phone call it comes through the GPS. The only thing I need the radio for is to amplify the signal from the GPS so that I can hear it through the headset or radio speakers and to see what time it is. 

I do have friends that listen to their favorite FM radio station just about every time the get on their bike, but they usually are just riding in their local area and they do not loose the radio station.

Jim
Ride It Like You Are Retired

Randy C

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 06:56:27 PM »

Ok so first of all I want to thank you guys for taking the time to help me out.So heres what I did ,I called my local dealer and was totally amazed at the outcome.The parts manager Tom at Zepka Hd gave me a new Roadtech 665 in exchange for the xm radio and all the wire harnesses that I may or may not need (haven't got that far yet )and some cash,really a good guy and nice place to deal.So now I'm starting all over,I'm going to take everything back off the bike including my zumo660 which I will sell.Now all I need to know is along with the interface what harnesses do I need to buy or which ones I already bought do I need to keep.Again thanks for the help,I am also on the TBSS site and I know answering the same questions over and over again can be frustrating,especially when your electronically challenged like me.Thanks again Randy

Marine Aviator

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2011, 07:26:15 PM »

Just to be clear, you will still need to plug into the AUX line to hear the XM, MP3, and audiobook sources from the GPS.  The NIM will allow you to use the navigation functions while on any audio source, or in the case if you choose not to wire up to AUX line.

Also, if you have an amp on the tourpack, you might run into a ground loop situation.  Here's the thread where I reported what I found.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=57193.0

I was able to get rid of the noise by installing a ground loop isolator between the NIM's input and the y-cable that splits the audio from the GPS to both the NIM and the Aux port on the radio.

Good luck with the project. :)  :2vrolijk_21

Thanks for the advice.  Luckily for me, the dealer installed a cable on the right handlebar and zip tied it cleanly so that I can simply plug in a short wire directly to the aux port on the radio a few inches away.  Now I just need the NIM so that I can hear the GPS commands through the stereo speakers.  One would think that as much as the 660 and 665 Roadtechs cost that they would have come with the NIM included.

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2011, 07:46:33 PM »

Thanks for the advice.  Luckily for me, the dealer installed a cable on the right handlebar and zip tied it cleanly so that I can simply plug in a short wire directly to the aux port on the radio a few inches away.  Now I just need the NIM so that I can hear the GPS commands through the stereo speakers.  One would think that as much as the 660 and 665 Roadtechs cost that they would have come with the NIM included.

:beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse:

Similar thoughts have been expressed in many other contexts regarding these bikes. 

Carl

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2011, 02:47:12 PM »

Ok what do I need to do when there is no aux option on my radio it has the aux input but not on the lcd display 2011FLTRUSE I tried the phone thru the GPS in the garage and it worked but a friend says the mic on the gps was picking up my speech not the mic on the headset and he says it wont work while riding ??? any suggestions.
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

Envithyx

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 10:57:27 PM »

Ok what do I need to do when there is no aux option on my radio it has the aux input but not on the lcd display 2011FLTRUSE I tried the phone thru the GPS in the garage and it worked but a friend says the mic on the gps was picking up my speech not the mic on the headset and he says it wont work while riding ??? any suggestions.

So, the AUX selection won't show up till you plug something into the aux port.  If you did plug something in and it didn't show up, then there is a problem that needs to be looked at.

As for the phone through the GPS, your friend was spot on.  The GPS has a mic in connection that usually goes unused.  However, bissjim has a product called the Bomm that bridges the mic input to your headset.  There are other vendors that make products that essentially do the same thing, so I would do some research and make your decision.  However, seriously give bissjim's product consideration.  When I think I need to use my phone while riding, I plan on grabbing his solution.

Here's a thread to start you out on what's available.  If you search in this section of the forum, you'll find a ton of other postings discussing this.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=51253.0

Good luck.  Hope your AUX issue is just the lack of having something plugged in.  :2vrolijk_21:
2009 FXSTSSE3

2011 FLHTK
V&H ThrottlePak
Chromed Out

Randy C

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2011, 12:46:40 PM »

:jack: :jack:

Envithyx

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2011, 12:49:13 PM »

:jack: :jack:

True, a quick and dirty hit and run :jack:   :huepfenjump3:

Maybe a mod can cut those two postings out and create a new one for us. :D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 12:51:13 PM by Envithyx »
2009 FXSTSSE3

2011 FLHTK
V&H ThrottlePak
Chromed Out

hogwild11

• Screamin' Eagle
  • Riding Free and loving every minute of it!!!
    • AL

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2011, 09:52:03 AM »

Jim,

Thanks for taking the time to provide everyone with this solution.  I have read through your posts and everyone's comments, but still not quite at the confidence level I need to be.  I have a 2011 FLHTCUSE6 which came with the Road Tech 660 and a factory installed NIM.  I bought the audio cable to bridge the audio output of the 660 to the Aux input of HK radio which now provides MP3 playback.  I can pair my Blackberry 8830 to the 660 and receive phone calls by listening to the external speakers and talking into the microphone of the 660.  My service guys are telling me that in order to receive BT in my headset, I need to purchase a separate and dedicated BT module and headset.  They are obviously not aware of the Y-connector or other hardware that can be purchased.  So here's my question.  In order to utilize BT technology with my existing headset and helmet microphone, do I need to purchase the 665.., or can the Y-connector satisfy this?  If I don't want to modify any wiring, will the 665 work all by itself?  If I use the 665 and Y-connector, will this free up the Aux input and still provide MP3 playback? 
V&H Power Duals
Rinehart Exhaust
Rumbling Pride LED
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 24 queries.