Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Violent Front End Steering and Handlebars Shaking on My CVO Road Glide Ultra  (Read 17660 times)

hadye

• Pharaoh Rider
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE3
    • Pharaoh Bikers
Re: Violent Front End Steering and Handlebars Shaking on My CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 11:40:06 AM »

I had the same problem during my tour in Europe. I paid 500 Euro spending 6 hours at the dealer with no reason found. I have put (then) around 7000 KM on my 2012 convertible, the only thing that is remaining, IS YOUR TIRE A DUNLOP one? The dealer says that this might be the reason. He is claiming that the steel in the tire might have broken. One of my fellow rider also on a CVO RG 2009 was complaining of the same problem. It was solved after he changed the front tire

Cruisin

• 2011 CVO Rally in Lake Tahoe
Re: Violent Front End Steering and Handlebars Shaking on My CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 04:39:56 PM »

A lot is being said on the internet about a steering wobble with handlebars shaking at various speeds.  It appears that the root cause of this problem runs the full gamut from minor to severe.  Some bikes only need a simple retorquing to the steering head bearings to resolve the problem, while other bikes the problem is severe and requires a more complex solution.  Whether the root cause repair is minor or complex the handlebars shaking is a major safety problem that should never be there in the first place.  Let's do not ignore the elephant in the room, for the sake of being redundant I will repeat myself, the handlebars shaking for whatever reason should never be there in the first place.  From what I read on the internet this problem is not just happening to a few bikes but many bikes. 

Please don't get me wrong, for over 45 years I have been a biker and I totally buy into the motorcycle sport, the life style, and the Harley brand in which I love.  But let’s face it; none of us would tolerate this type of a problem in our car.  So why are we putting our enjoyment, our comfort, or our lives at risk on 2 wheels in quietly going along with this safety problem?  In my opinion too many of us are having this safety problem.  Just like cars are recalled for safety problems, these bikes need to be recalled.

When I was having this problem on my bike I reviewed the warranty section of my owner’s manual and read, "If you believe that your motorcycle has a defect which could cause a crash or could cause injury or death, you should immediately inform the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in addition to notifying Harley Davidson.” 

I followed the instructions closely and notified the Harley Davidson Motor Company and I also notified NHTSA and filed a Vehicle Safety Complaint with the Office of Defects Investigation (ODI).  If enough of us who are having the steering wobble and shaking problem notify NHTSA a recall will be issued and finally this problem will be fixed once and for all. 

None of us needlessly should risk injury to our lives, or our loved ones, or our friend’s lives, for a problem that should be fixed.  We all love our Harley's.  Let’s take the necessary step to make our Harley’s better and safer.  The NHTSA phone number is 888-327-4236.
Cruisin'

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Update to My Violent Front End Steering and Handlebars Shaking
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 04:56:11 PM »

I no longer own the bike.  I look forward to buying my next new Harley.
There has to be more to the story since your previous post...

Two days later we returned home from the Durango trip.  I dropped my wife at home and I took the bike right away to the HD dealership that has been servicing my bike.  The service manager test drove my bike and when he returned he said, ‘there is still something wrong with the steering’.  The service manager and the dealership owner told me that they can no longer work on my bike without first getting authorization from the Harley Davidson Motor Company.  They asked me to write them a letter describing the problem.  The service manager also gave me the 800 phone number for the customer service department for the Harley Davidson Motor Company and he told me to call them about the problem. I did.

Ever since returning home from the Durango trip my bike has been parked in the garage.  I am not riding it because it is very scary not knowing if the handlebars will suddenly start violently shake at street or highway speeds.  If it did it would definitely cause a terrible crash.  This problem is so severe that I fear for my safety when riding this bike.

The Harley Davidson Motor Company is unwilling to try to fix the bike unless I sign a release of liability.  I told them that I cannot sign a release of liability for a known problem that threw my wife and me off the bike.  My bike is still covered under the 2 year factory warranty, and I purchased the 5 year extended warranty.  Verbally the HD dealership has said that they will be buying the bike back from me.  But so far they have not put anything in writing and they are dragging their feet.  I am frustrated with dealing with this problem for over 1 year and I am at the point of hiring a lemon law attorney.

and now... what happened, where is the bike, was it fixed, what was fixed?? :confused5:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 05:30:41 PM »

All I can say is that the issue has been resolved.   I signed a legal release.  I am sorry but I cannot discuss it any further.  

That's how H-D skates on the big problems.  They buy folks off but require a nondisclosure agreement so no one else can use the settlement as evidence in their own cases.  Harley got away with it for decades with the high speed wobble/rear steer issue on the '80-'08 Touring frames, along with many other issues.

What is needed is for some people to take the long view and not settle, but take them to trial so all the evidence sees the light of day.  Since that's unlikely to happen, I suggest that everyone who has a safety related issue with their Harley get to know the NHTSA website and the form for submitting complaints.  Only if enough people actually take the time to report safety issues will NHTSA investigate.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 05:38:56 PM »

All I can say is that the issue has been resolved.   I signed a legal release.  I am sorry but I cannot discuss it any further.  
Kind of figured that was the case (and Jerry "grc" has posted above how this affects others) but was a little shocked by this statement...
I no longer own the bike.  I look forward to buying my next new Harley.
Believe me I'm a Harley enthusiast but you know the saying "don't let the same dog bite you twice"... not sure after going thru what you just did if I could be excited about purchasing another new Harley. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

hadye

• Pharaoh Rider
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE3
    • Pharaoh Bikers
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2012, 05:44:25 PM »

I have the same problem & am waiting for the bike to return it to the dealer. After a long review of the thread, I think that everybody has this problem has the right to know

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 02:25:58 PM »

This problem is so varied as to extent & 'causes'.  I would have to think that the MoCo would 'fix' the problem once and for all after all these years of suffering from it, if it was a easy fix.  Not sure anyone knows of a absolute 'fix'...it appears to be all caught up in the design & nature of a bicycle and the geometry of the steering/frame.  I've seen flat track bikes go into high speed wobbles that became uncontrollable...most riders know how to deal with it if it is not too bad, but....it seems to be part of the excitement of these bikes we choose to ride.   :nixweiss: :confused5: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 24 queries.