Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: little secret on 110" heads !  (Read 31817 times)

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
Re: little secret on 110" heads !
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2008, 03:13:36 PM »

I am sure the guy I sold my biz too would do it,he name is Don. Good man. Look on my web site and then 'click' on his. www.deweyspegs.com   or you can do it yourself. know someone with a 'NEWAY' seat cutter {carbide} and a mill to 'flycut' your heads.  I would but GUNSMOKE is on. Sorry Dewey

gremlush sorry but I have to call BS on this one.  We all know you are out on a doughnut run.

gremlush

• I may not be good, BUT, I am slow.
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2008, 04:47:43 PM »

I only eat the 'hole'. ya da mans....

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 08:10:34 AM »

And in addition to what Dewey said all the 110 heads are not created equal. Some of the early releases had a correct throat %. The late CVO and HTCC heads I have done have a raised 45° seat that plays hell with flow. Just a correct valve job 4 angle and 3 on the valves corrects that. The Harley valve corrects the later oversized throat heads.

Quoted from Engine Builder RE: head porting, Joe Mondello interviewed by Larry Carley

“A few weeks ago, we had three engineers from Harley-Davidson Screaming Eagle Division here for a technical session. They just designed a new 103 head and a 110 head and were quite proud of how well it flowed. We took their head, and in three days time we improved the airflow 52 cfm over their initial design. Out of the 53 cfm that we picked up, 25 cfm was due to changes we made in the valve seat angles alone. That shows you how critical valve seat angles are for maximizing airflow and power,” says Mondello.

Just a tidbit I thought I would share not an endorsement of Mondello just interesting how much difference proper seat and valve preparation makes.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 08:12:30 AM by Deweysheads »

wcgrinder

• BigAl
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 11:45:41 AM »

Let me use my years as a head porter (1974 to present) to expand on.What Dewey has said.The radius below the seat(Some porters call it the choke)it's location and diameter As well as seat angles port shape,volume and length all effect how the port works.The raito of 89 to 90% is a good measure.I have gone down as low as 86% to obtain better low lift flow.When you look at the seat remember there is a valve stuck in there.The relationship between the valve and the seat changes constantly as the valve opens and closes.All the angles effect the air flow differently.At different lifts some angles work better others.Same for the choke a larger radius improves the approach angle of the air to the seat at low lift.Conversely at higher lift the same choke(larger radius) becomes a restriction.So we are forced to choose a comprimise for the appliaction for which we are using the engine.Dewey is quite correct in that over 90% you loose most of your bottom angles this tends to annoy the fuel and air as it trys to make the sharp turn at the seat and valve.One key factor not to forget is that you want sharp edges were seat angles meet.These sharp edges grab the air and help turn it around the seat.(not true for the exhaust) That is why the newer guide and seat machines (sunnen,serdi,newen) are so  popular With stable carbide pilots and carbide cutters A truer and sharper seat can be obtained than with stones or hand held cutters.I do not use  the single bladed(multi angle) cutters on my intake seats as they cannot generate a sharp enough union between angles.Depending upon appliaction I may use  38-48-60-72 seat angle combo and 88 to 89 % valve dia. choke for a higher lift cam. Nothing is cast in stone. There tons of other factors that go into total port design.We can see how EZ it is to mess up a port.The factory did! So be carefull out there.All the trick fuel injection programing and port work in the world. won't fix a screw up in the basics. 

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 11:52:16 AM »

:vrolijk_11:

Red 07 SE

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 11:54:31 AM »

I was told by a local HD machine shop the 110 SE heads cannot be milled do to the location of the compression releases.

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2008, 12:27:49 PM »

“A few weeks ago, we had three engineers from Harley-Davidson Screaming Eagle Division here for a technical session. They just designed a new 103 head and a 110 head and were quite proud of how well it flowed. We took their head, and in three days time we improved the airflow 52 cfm over their initial design. Out of the 53 cfm that we picked up, 25 cfm was due to changes we made in the valve seat angles alone. That shows you how critical valve seat angles are for maximizing airflow and power,” says Mondello.

This is the part that blows my mind.  I thought CVO to Harley was what AMG is to Mercedes.

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2008, 01:07:29 PM »

Thats funny right there... :D

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2008, 05:01:18 PM »

I was told by a local HD machine shop the 110 SE heads cannot be milled do to the location of the compression releases.

that is razzle dazzle!!

gremlush

• I may not be good, BUT, I am slow.
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2008, 08:41:10 PM »

Big AL is right about % {valve-seat} and MOST of the dyno's on my web site were  87-88 %  intake ,ex. were different. He is also right about sharp angles on the intake seat ,ex. different. If you want to know what these 'stock' 110" heads flow ,ask DON deweysheads, I am sure he will tell you. BIG HOLE - NO FLO !!!!!  In my opion , these are good heads ,they just need a 'little' valve-seat work, and when you 'mill'  {flycut} .050- .060 off of them,you make the combustion chamber smaller and pretty good. You can 'machine .040 off the heads with no problem. More than that ,make a alum. washer the put under the comp. release to raise it up. Dewey ps. got my 30 tooth front pulley today ,yahoo.

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member
  • ride 'em don't hide 'em

• CVO1: '08 fxdse2
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2008, 09:16:48 PM »

I'm surely not an expert...I have owned 2 xls, 1 victory, 1 flh, and 2 fxds...and I DARE say my '08 cvo is the best bike ever...so you can stick your internet myths up your...well, you know
08 fxdse2, r&r heads, 257 cam, hpi 55mm t/body, supermeg

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2008, 09:19:25 PM »

I'm surely not an expert...

Duly noted!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member
  • ride 'em don't hide 'em

• CVO1: '08 fxdse2
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2008, 09:27:33 PM »

do I know you???!!!???
08 fxdse2, r&r heads, 257 cam, hpi 55mm t/body, supermeg

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2008, 09:33:26 PM »

I'm surely not an expert...I have owned 2 xls, 1 victory, 1 flh, and 2 fxds...and I DARE say my '08 cvo is the best bike ever...so you can stick your internet myths up your...well, you know

ahhhhhhhhhhhah  well said .   

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2008, 10:44:25 PM »

with all do respect, first a statement and a Q. i agree with valve agle(s), valve size,and seat radius etc, that been said
what would be gained in a street power doing all those mods. not trying to be an a-hole, just your opinion-on track vs
street. thank you.   axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 24 queries.