Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: New 2015 Road Glide fairing - Please vote on adding a vent or not  (Read 29205 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: New 2015 Road Glide fairing - Please vote on adding a vent or not
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2013, 12:27:37 PM »

Not sure Don, I was thinking the design probably had the balance of the weight too far forward.  Not sure what new components they have in there and how they compare to the old.

Cowboy

Agreed that we can envision a host of gawdy, heavy, forward or outboard leaning options that might be unstable.  They're all at least a bit "out there" though.

From the new Electra Glides we already know what the guts will be.  CAN bus (HDLAN) will actually lower a bit of harness weight.  The Road Glide fairings were already a long way forward, so it's difficult to see them being even more so.  And even a radical difference in shape is difficult to see being dramatically heavier.  It's still just an outer shell with some empty space in the middle.

The speculation can't help but make a guy curious.  I'm just tentative in letting this in-the-know tech's notions pass my personal sniff test without a bit more citation or reference.  It is certainly enough to bait some curiosity though.

Cosmic Charlie

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2013, 10:33:54 PM »

A tall, electrically adjustable windscreen creates a calm cockpit experience with help from ducts above the instrument panel, which balances pressure areas outside and inside the screen.

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/kawasaki/2013-kawasaki-concours-14-abs-ar154988.html

Come on MoCo - Kawa Concours has had it for many years - best standard equipment piece on any bike I've owned bar none (related to cockpit comfort)- if I built a custom tourer I would steal the electric wind shield & retrofit it somehow (but thats not going to happen ...)

ps - a vent could be a good thing - no sure yet till tested

Aggressive fairing with specially designed venting facilitates heat dissipation, greatly reducing the amount of hot air transmitted to the rider

A tall windscreen with a wide upper portion reduces upper-body turbulence. The screen is electrically adjustable, with four programmable preset positions

When the power is turned off, the windscreen goes to its lowest position. When the power is turned back on, the windscreen’s memory function returns it to the selected preset position

Passages from windscreen slits direct air through the inner fairing to vents next to the instrument panel; alleviating the lower pressure helps prevent turbulence around the rider’s head
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 10:39:32 PM by Cosmic Charlie »
2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange RG SE 110
D&D Boss Fat Cats with Ghost Pipe
CeeBaileysSuperStepContour14"
TTS Tuner
Ohlin's #3-3
J&M 7 1/4's & 250 amp
Utopia Drivers Back Rest

Nothing Left To Do But Smile Smile Smile

b407driver

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2013, 06:17:27 PM »

I had a C14 and the stock windshield sucked. Lots of buffeting and at highway speeds the low pressure created behind the shield would push you forward on the seat. I replaced it with a slightly larger Cal Sci windshield that had a NACA vent and the forward "push" disappeared. All HD has to do is put a vent in the windshield..... :drink:

funbiker1967

• Semper Fi
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Ultra
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2013, 07:11:42 PM »

I am ok with it if they can make it look good.  Remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
Just remember worse things have happened to better people....

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2013, 07:43:59 PM »

I am ok with it if they can make it look good.  Remember, beauty is in the eye of the beERholder...
Fixed that for ya  :2vrolijk_21:
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

funbiker1967

• Semper Fi
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Ultra
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2013, 07:56:28 PM »

There is a lot of truth in that.... Haha
Just remember worse things have happened to better people....

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2013, 08:37:15 PM »

I am looking for the first company to come out with a paintable plug for the vent on the Ultra's. In my opinion whatever benifit it provides is never going to overirde how bad it looks. I just do not want a Gold Wing looking vent on my HD.

Cosmic Charlie

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2013, 09:50:26 PM »

On another site one guy referred to the new Fairing Vent as "The Mail Slot"
2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange RG SE 110
D&D Boss Fat Cats with Ghost Pipe
CeeBaileysSuperStepContour14"
TTS Tuner
Ohlin's #3-3
J&M 7 1/4's & 250 amp
Utopia Drivers Back Rest

Nothing Left To Do But Smile Smile Smile

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2013, 06:14:52 AM »

On another site one guy referred to the new Fairing Vent as "The Mail Slot"
Same thing I thought when I saw it,,,also on the latest body style Camaro and the Silverado bumper that has the tranny cooler in it. Must be the trend.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2013, 06:54:53 AM »

One thing is a sure bet, good idea....bad idea, Mother Harley doesn't give a squat what we think  :confused5:  :confused5:
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2013, 07:32:55 AM »

One thing is a sure bet, good idea....bad idea, Mother Harley doesn't give a squat what we think  :confused5:  :confused5:

I disagree, they're active on this forum but will not publicly participate. Where else would you find these demographics, and for free too.  :drink:
Now where they choose to ignore us is after the sale, they got yer monies. I could go on but will refrain. :coolblue:

Moco use to spend lots of money and time on focus groups, now they only have to google and read on the inner-web.
Wut the hell was that maneuver

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2013, 09:21:38 AM »

Love the function if the vent on my Limited. It does work great. I leave it open while riding in Rain as well.

Ginel857

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2014, 09:04:35 PM »

regarding the 2015 RG vent add... first of all it would be great to introduce an electrically adjustable windshield. That way you can control how much venting you really get. Also, you could add deflectors on the sides , to get additional air flow into the mid section of one's body.
Check out the new BMW GTL. it is a great example to follow.
For the "hard core" HD owners that do not want the power, make it a 2-3 position manually adjustable windshield. Check out hte 2004 BMW K1200RS. It has the 2 position adjustaable winsheild.
I have a 2006 RG and I love it, because of the fixed fairing. But i also own a 2004 BMW K1200gt along with BMW 2012 K1600GTL with very nice fearures I wish my RG would have. ..

;D

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2014, 09:14:38 PM »

regarding the 2015 RG vent add... first of all it would be great to introduce an electrically adjustable windshield. That way you can control how much venting you really get. Also, you could add deflectors on the sides , to get additional air flow into the mid section of one's body.
Check out the new BMW GTL. it is a great example to follow.
For the "hard core" HD owners that do not want the power, make it a 2-3 position manually adjustable windshield. Check out hte 2004 BMW K1200RS. It has the 2 position adjustaable winsheild.
I have a 2006 RG and I love it, because of the fixed fairing. But i also own a 2004 BMW K1200gt along with BMW 2012 K1600GTL with very nice fearures I wish my RG would have. ..

;D
I believe the Gagstad, oops Madstad covers that issue for those that can get past the looks of them   :rolleyes4:

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2014, 01:35:13 PM »

I've been running with a ClearView vented windshield for the past couple of years and have to say it works. Just like the MoCo says on the FLH, just keep it open. No more wind noise, buffeting, or wearing ear plugs anymore.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 25 queries.