Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vestkimo  (Read 4236 times)

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
Vestkimo
« on: June 21, 2015, 12:52:51 AM »

OK, i know this is crazy but last Xmas my family bought me a Vestkimo 9 qt cooling system. They are always complaining that I am impossible to buy a gift for because if I want something, I just buy it (definitely some truth to that..) so my son had found this thing while searching the internet one night after I came home and was whining about how hot is was and I was pissed because I could buy clothes to ride comfortably in super cold weather but there was nothing for when it got cold. I will admit when i opened the gift, I thought it was the dumbest thing I ever saw and I would never use it and wanted to return it. My wife and son both told me "don't even think about sending this back just because you didn't find it yourself and haven't even tried it". I was stuck! After seeing how much it cost, I was really frustrated and did try and figure out some way to return it without them finding g out but they were on to me so into the closet it went.. My son started asking me a couple of months ago if I tried it yet and I truthfully told him that it just wasn't hot enough to try it yet but I knew the first really hot day I was going to have to at least try it though it did kinda seem like a hassle to set it up and I was worried it would leak all over. I even tried to loan it to JC last week knowing he was going to have to deal with triple digit weather getting to the GTG in CO but I couldn't get him "to bite"..
Today I was out of excuses as it was going to be hot and my kid was asking me if I was riding today so I broke out the instructions and froze the water bottles last night and just figured I would try it and at least tell my family it was great and never have to mess with it again. I threw the cooler that held the water and frozen bottles behind the drivers backrest and was surprised that it fit perfect and I didn't have to worry about securing it as when I sat and leaned against the backrest, it locked the cooler in place and threw the vest in the TP. About 45 minutes into the ride it was crazy hot (mid the high 90's) so I thought I might as well try this da-- thing. I pulled over and plugged it in and put it on and started back up and for a minute didn't really feel anything (though I was glad it wasn't laking everywhere!) and than I stated to feel the cold water circulating through the vest under my shirt. It was amazing that I completely cooled down and I was completely shocked! Honestly I hate riding in really hot weather and wasn't planning on going that far. I ended up going over 200 miles (would have gone further but I had to work for a couple of hours) and at times was almost cold! at the end of the ride I headed to the coast and though it was still in the mid 80's, I had to turn it off because i absolutely was cold.
So my family gets major kudos for getting and forcing me to try this deal. Never leaked and by the end of the day, really wasn't a hassle at all.
Just thought I would share and now I can tell them that not only did I admit I was wrong, I actually "published it"..
here is the product.
http://www.veskimo.com/personal-cooling-system-9quart.html
Alan

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

Re: Vestkimo
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 01:45:04 AM »

I am sure that JC regrets have passed on the offer. He sounds like he is suffering from heat exposure.
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 03:14:30 PM »

Interesting... what power options did you use?

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 09:09:53 PM »

Wow, very interesting.  Might be worth looking into.  Too bad I do not have enough time to look into it before my trip this week. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 01:19:28 AM »

Interesting... what power options did you use?

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Sorry, just saw this. I have a power outlet in my tourpak that I just plug into.
Alan

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 08:05:46 AM »

Sorry, just saw this. I have a power outlet in my tourpak that I just plug into.
Kewl, thanks.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 10:10:31 AM »

Alan, I've been accused of being hard to buy for, also.  But you can tell your family I promise not to buy one before xmas.....so they can get me one, also!  ;D

Seriously, I'd like to try that out on our next ride together.  I have the Silver Eagle Cool Vest.... http://www.coolweave.com.au/vests.htm   The down side is that you have to keep stopping to wet it again when it's 115F.  Greg said he wears a mesh over it so that he doesn't have to stop quite so often.

My most recent experience, for me, I learned that the Solumbra shirt (with vented mesh armpit to the shirt cuffs) used with a Cool Snake worked much better than the cool vest.  In tempretures of 112F-115F you just don't want something as heavy as the cool vest hanging on your body and pressed up against your skin to the point you get no air.

Spend some time studying this shirt.  It is rated SPF 100+   You're not going to win any fashion show but if you can get past that, it's unbelivably comfortable.  It's super light weight.  Has a large, loose mesh arm pit that tapers and goes all the way down to the wrist cuffs so you have constant air flow even though you're protected from the sun itself.

http://www.sunprecautions.com/product/12000

West Coast Russ also has this shirt.....maybe he'll chime in with his experience.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 10:11:12 AM »

I've thought about getting that, but the price dissuades me. So I use a hydro vest..
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 12:10:30 PM »

The Vestkimo is great product. If I rode more summertimes in the southwest I think it would be a worthwhile investment. 
For now when needed, we use different wet vests with higher end,  fully armored mesh jackets over which keeps the vests wet longer. Camelbacks with ice and water and we are good to go.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 10:54:04 PM »

I seriously thought about getting this system for my wife, who gets close to heat stroke.  Part of the problem is that when 2-up, can't put it on the BSR seat, so have to use the TP rack.  I may get it yet, but I've found an emergency method of staying cool: buy a large bag or two of ice and carry it on the lap.  Yeah, it's not as effective and it's real redneck engineering (how do you think I came up with the idea?), but it works, it's easy, and it's cheap.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 11:22:08 PM »

I just used it again today and it really is a game changer for me. I was born and raised in AZ so I absolutely hate to be hot but this thing stops me from being miserable. I rode out to Temecula and Lake Elsinore today which as pretty brutal but the vest was great. Just kinda a PIA to have to stop and refill with ice about every 4 hours. I did do the 2 big blocks like they recommend but still only made it that long (not the 6 hours they claim). Just stopped at a 7-11 and got a bag of ice and started all over but it was great when the new ice cold water started circulating!
Im not usually a "gadget" guy but this is cool (arr arr)
Alan

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 01:36:52 AM »

Im not usually a "gadget" guy but this is cool (arr arr)
:stop:   ;D
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 25 queries.