Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Installing new horn on FXR3  (Read 2340 times)

fxr3-HD1

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

Installing new horn on FXR3
« on: July 15, 2015, 03:58:41 PM »

Well....my horn was very weak so I bought a new one figuring it is an easy plug n play and done !
Well.....I am not sure how to get to the horn to replace it. I now realize where it is and it sure does look like it may be a chore to replace which is why the last guy probably never replaced it.
Anyone know an easy access/way to replace horn?????
FXR3 Blueman

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Installing new horn on FXR3
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 04:46:21 PM »

It can come out without removing the rear tire.  But it's a contortionist's pain in the ass.  Were it me and I had a choice at all I'd wait and do it when I needed a new back tire.

fxr3-HD1

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 11:09:28 AM »

Thank u for the reply Twolanerider.....I was hoping there was a better way...lol....tires have about 300 miles on them now so.....I may try to take one of the side covers off and mabye remove something there to gain access below.....not sure if that is possible but will have to take a 2nd look this weekend.
Thanks again !
FXR3 Blueman

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 11:31:37 AM »

Thank u for the reply Twolanerider.....I was hoping there was a better way...lol....tires have about 300 miles on them now so.....I may try to take one of the side covers off and mabye remove something there to gain access below.....not sure if that is possible but will have to take a 2nd look this weekend.
Thanks again !

Strictly for what it's worth, it's been years ago but I knew a friend that "said" he could do this without taking the back tire off.  No way I ever could.  My hands are a bit on the large size and just no way I could ever squeeze in to places that seemed to be necessary.  So while I've never actually seen it happen a guy who I have no reason not to believe told me he could.  Also said it, too, was a pain the ass but that it was at least do-able.

What about the other option?  Those horns were always weak anyway.  Their location didn't help matters at all.  What about just separately mounting a different horn in some other location?  Or even an air horn.  Back when I still had hair and FXRs were more common (wish I still had mine) a horn change or addition was a pretty common thing. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 11:57:10 PM by Twolanerider »

fxr3-HD1

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 04:11:41 PM »

Yea..Twolanerider......I was thinking about mounting one in the front ...mushroom type horn as it looks bare there anyway and there is a hole that almost looks like it was designed for 1. I would still have to gain access to the wiring to the existing horn so I could re-use that and most likely have to add to the length....just dont wanna run new or extra wires if I dont have to.
I will make another attempt at removing side covers and see if there is something I can take off that will get me access.....something soooo easy has to be sooo difficult
FXR3 Blueman

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 24 queries.