Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Using oil?  (Read 6820 times)

jrod_141

• To quote Dr Ian Malcomb:
  • Semper Fi
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE CVO LIMITED
Re: Using oil?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 02:52:08 PM »

just to clarify:  the previous "no ring seat" scenario would apply to an engine that has always used oil, from the get-go.  not one that just started using oil out of the blue.  if it just started using oil, i'd be looking at the valve guides and valve stem seals.
"That is one big pile of chit."

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 07:24:17 AM »

With a 400 grit final hone, and plateau hone, alnog with a petroleum engine oil, rings seat VERY quickly regardless of some magical/mystical break-in method.
Certianly running it like a rented mule, is incorrect, and tractor-mode is out also.
That is not how the cylinder wall finish is from HD, nor is that the oil used either.
Scott

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 07:45:17 AM »

have someone follow you around at night,if your going thru that much oil,its smoking,just not bad enough to really see during the day.the problem with the 110 heads were guides actually coming loose,if you had a loose guide,youde know it.you probably have a set of bad seals,the factory v. seals have sucked for years,on just about all motors (evo & TC)

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 08:45:29 AM »

"have someone follow you around at night"

:2vrolijk_21: Was using a quart every 800-1000 miles in a FXR, buddies said no smoke, then one night stopped at a light the headlights from the car behind me showed quite a haze. It was valve seals.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 01:30:01 PM »

A K-Line type seal with it's teflon wiper, installed correctly, should not be an issue.
Beaucoup' bikes/cars/truck/marine application, in service with them.
Scott

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 02:27:51 PM »

Wow a quart of oil for 1K miles. Something has to be wrong. I assume this is new so something happened. Also two quarts low is a lot when she only hold four quarts total. I would not be happy id this happened with only 23K miles. I would have to carry oil with me for every trip we go one. We used to make fun of cars that didn't measure MPG but rather quarts per mile. I will curious as to what you find out is the issue.

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 02:50:25 PM »

A K-Line type seal with it's teflon wiper, installed correctly, should not be an issue.
Beaucoup' bikes/cars/truck/marine application, in service with them.
Scott

Scott
Thanks very much for this feedback. I shall go down this route when I take it apart. I shall of course look at the cylinder wear, but the more I read about this the more I am expecting the valve guides and stem seals to be the issue.

Just away from HD's. My pal just had K-Line guides fitted to a Velocette Venom head. He was very impressed with the result.

JohnT

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 07:08:50 AM »

If your going to change out the guides, well then an AV&V guide/seal combination is mighty hard to beat.
Scott

prodrag1320

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 07:48:33 AM »

I agree with scott  :2vrolijk_21:

windjammer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTSSE2 sold
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2015, 10:07:17 AM »

I would switch to a mineral oil for a few thousand miles to see if it shows improvement. If rings are never seated properly synthetic oil is way too slippery an goes right by the rings. I have seen consumption go away completely by going back to mineral based oil for a while. My 2 cents.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2015, 01:54:21 PM »

I would switch to a mineral oil for a few thousand miles to see if it shows improvement. If rings are never seated properly synthetic oil is way too slippery an goes right by the rings. I have seen consumption go away completely by going back to mineral based oil for a while. My 2 cents.

If the rings aren't "seated" at 23,000 miles, they never will be no matter what kind of oil is used.  And if synthetic motor oil really caused rings to fail to seal, I seriously doubt all those smart folks at the auto companies would spend more to use synthetics for factory fill, as very many do these days.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2015, 07:11:07 AM »

All depends on the honing method, type of ring, installation, etc.........

prodrag1320

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2015, 07:53:12 AM »

at 23K,it aint a ring seating problem.im sure its guides or valve seals.the only way it could be rings is if there was wash down from running too rich or from heat if the bike was way overheated

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2015, 08:03:11 AM »

Right, at 23,000 on the clock, it isn't a ring.
Scott
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 22 queries.