Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Harley Refuses to Play  (Read 9088 times)

stratplexi

• Full CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE
Re: Harley Refuses to Play
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 10:50:17 PM »

Agree ...those designs are fugly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 11:07:55 PM »

Why should they play?? I mean really, how much competition do you think Indian is.

I don't know about anyone else here, but i wouldn't be caught dead on this thing:

I thought some of Harley's colors were ugly, and I just detest the front fender on most of them.
They're not Indians, plain and simple, and they don't make a single bike that appeals to me or most that I talk to.
Yea, thats pretty bad!
Alan

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 09:02:27 AM »

I agree that color as pictures is awful. I recall the CVO Lim in silver and orange as seen on the web was not even close to the real color of the bike. I think the real bike may be less hideous. The paint schemes for 2016 are not good enough to help Indian really get in the game and I do doubt that they will ever be the giant that HD is.

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 10:23:06 AM »

Polaris sure hires some odd design engineers as well as those signing off on the design. YOU'RE FIRED!!!  Keep the engine, scrap the rest. Sorry, I wanted to buy one and enjoy it but I just can't at this point. Kinda like the Stratoliner. Good engine but the fenders throw it out. But it's easier to replace Strat fenders and get a decent look. I'd rather rebuild my H-D's to what I want.
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

Landshark

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTF-SE
    • CVO2: 2009 FXDF-SE
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCU-SE
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 10:49:53 PM »

I don't care about ugly anymore, I just want something that works the way it is suppose to.  I can't even begin to express my displeasure with the experience I have had with my 2013 FLHTCU-SE.  I even went out an bought a 2014 F6B just to ensure myself of something exceptional to ride.  Hell, the first service wasn't until 4,000 miles.  Try that with a Harley.

tdkkart

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 10:59:46 PM »

Hell, the first service wasn't until 4,000 miles.  Try that with a Harley.

The ONLY reason you can't do that with a Harley is because the dealer has you convinced you need to spend $400 with them as soon as possible.  There's no reason whatsoever the bike couldn't go 4 or 5000 miles before the first service.
2015 CVO Road Glide

Landshark

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2015, 11:08:07 PM »

But the real question then, would be, what would happen if you had a major failure and couldn't prove you did the change of fluids etc.?  I know the problems I have had even when all services were done on time and to their specs.  I have learned a lot having owned 30+ motorcycles from the motor company.  Even Walmart and Costco do a better of standing behind the products that they sell even if they don't actually produce them.  Like I said, I love my Harleys but the Motor Company really doesn't care about me.  They always feel there is someone else ready to buy their product.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 11:13:37 PM by Landshark »

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 11:09:51 PM »

I don't care about ugly anymore, I just want something that works the way it is suppose to.  I can't even begin to express my displeasure with the experience I have had with my 2013 FLHTCU-SE.  I even went out an bought a 2014 F6B just to ensure myself of something exceptional to ride.  Hell, the first service wasn't until 4,000 miles.  Try that with a Harley.
I doubt anyone here would argue reliability or serviceability between a Honda and a Harley.
Alan

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 08:49:08 AM »

But the real question then, would be, what would happen if you had a major failure and couldn't prove you did the change of fluids etc.?  ........................................

You aren't obligated to prove anything.  If the warrantor (Harley) alleges the failure was caused by lack of maintenance, they are obligated to prove it, not the other way around.  It's all spelled out in Federal law, and has been that way since 1975.  Just because Harley tries to ignore customer's legal rights doesn't mean you have to let them get away with it.

As for the first service Harley recommends, there is no legitimate reason to have to change the fluids at only 1000 miles.  The only part of that first service that really needs to be done is the belt tension adjustment, since the belt tension does change significantly in the first 500 miles or so.  Everything else is just BS, with Harley having you pay again to check the same stuff they are supposed to check at the assembly plant and the dealer is supposed to check during prep (that they also charge extra for most of the time).  Most of us still do the 1000 mile service anyway, even though most of it is BS.  But many do it themselves versus hand the dealer another $300 - $500 for no good reason.

If you want to be cautious and CYA, you can do the services yourself or have an independent do them and just document them.  Keep receipts for the materials (or the entire service if done by someone else) and make a copy of the checklist where you can indicate what was done, the date, and the mileage.  Like I said, you don't have to prove squat, but it's not a bad idea to still keep some basic records.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

tdkkart

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 09:19:40 AM »

You aren't obligated to prove anything.  If the warrantor (Harley) alleges the failure was caused by lack of maintenance, they are obligated to prove it, not the other way around.  It's all spelled out in Federal law, and has been that way since 1975.  Just because Harley tries to ignore customer's legal rights doesn't mean you have to let them get away with it.

As for the first service Harley recommends, there is no legitimate reason to have to change the fluids at only 1000 miles.  The only part of that first service that really needs to be done is the belt tension adjustment, since the belt tension does change significantly in the first 500 miles or so.  Everything else is just BS, with Harley having you pay again to check the same stuff they are supposed to check at the assembly plant and the dealer is supposed to check during prep (that they also charge extra for most of the time).  Most of us still do the 1000 mile service anyway, even though most of it is BS.  But many do it themselves versus hand the dealer another $300 - $500 for no good reason.

If you want to be cautious and CYA, you can do the services yourself or have an independent do them and just document them.  Keep receipts for the materials (or the entire service if done by someone else) and make a copy of the checklist where you can indicate what was done, the date, and the mileage.  Like I said, you don't have to prove squat, but it's not a bad idea to still keep some basic records.

Jerry

A friend was in the process of trading is SG for a RG, all was going well until they told him they were deducting $500 from his trade because according to their system he hadn't had the 10,000mi service done.
He got up and walked out.
2015 CVO Road Glide

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 10:42:33 AM »

I don't know if it is because we are Human, or Men, or Americans, but we love to punish ourselves for a few minutes or hours of pleasure.

Skydivers spend endless hours practicing and caring for equipment and paying for the lift up.
Scuba Divers, Race Car Drivers.  Private Pilots.

Any hobby we indulge ourselves in costs more than it is worth, usually.  Some inflict real pain.  Others are quite dangerous.  All are expensive.

Then there are the vices:  Alcohol, Tobacco, Mind Altering Substances.  Some are illegal and life destroying.  Yet we do them, throwing away families, wasting fortunes, killing ourselves and those that love us.

I remember the Seventies and Eighties: my GS1100, XSEleven, FJ1100, Suzuki Cavalcade.  Then came my Triumph Thunderbird and the Valkyrie Interstate.  My last trouble free bike was a Vulcan 2000.  During all those years I espoused that I would never buy a Harley.  "I've ridden behind Harleys and had to dodge parts falling off."  "Too expensive and troublesome."  "Know why Harley Riders are always in a bad mood?  Think About it."

Then I rode one.  It's like (what I hear) that first hit of Cocaine must be like.  Then the money starts adding up.  Harley makes it easy with EagleMark Savings Bank, and Gap Insurance, and even sells us that beautiful ESP telling us "we'll fix it for $50".  We bite, over and over again no matter how bitter the taste, just to feel that high we get when everything comes together just so:  A few miles on the Pig Trail or US550 from Ouray to Durango; US 12 in Idaho; US 123 the Dragon.

I love my 2012 CVO SG, my third HD.  All have been Touring.  All needed lifters, one needed a Compensator.  All got tuners, cams, dynoed just to make them run right.

I really like this 2012, and don't care much for the 14 and 15 changes.  So am happy to keep shooting up with my maintenance heavy old v-twin.

But I don't kid myself and say that the HD is a good bike, or "they don't do that anymore" or complain about the MoCo not respecting me.  That's like expecting the corner drug dealer to respect you because you always pay the price for whatever high he is selling.

I'm going for a ride now.
Hope I don't drop a valve.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2015, 02:12:59 PM »

I wonder how much of my criticism of harley is related to the love of the underdog syndrome? I get bored of the same old winner of sporting events maybe same of motorcycles. I have owned Harley now for six years becoming a full on Harley Snob but I think I am turning a corner in respects to the biker world. There are other nice products out there just saying.

I say a red Honda and thought it looked pretty sporty so i asked about it. He told me it was an F6B. Come to find out that is a trim line of the GW right?? Oh Hell I liked a GW game must be near over for me. :D

Landshark

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2015, 05:54:31 PM »

I know what you mean.  I added an Black F6B to my stable this last year and am more than impressed.  I still have 5 Harley but this new GW is a wonderful bike.  I never understood the affection until I owned one.  Buy and ride what you like, regardless of brand.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2015, 09:26:17 PM »

A friend was in the process of trading is SG for a RG, all was going well until they told him they were deducting $500 from his trade because according to their system he hadn't had the 10,000mi service done.
He got up and walked out.

In other words, the dealer wanted to get paid for doing the 10,000 mile service whether they actually did the work or not.  Walking out was a good move by your friend...

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2015, 10:43:51 PM »

Just an old salesman trick to get a bump.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 25 queries.