Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finally happened to me  (Read 5750 times)

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Finally happened to me
« on: July 28, 2015, 02:30:57 PM »

Chrome trim (insert) on fuel tank that cap screws into started coming apart. Found this out when putting cap back on resulted in a 1/4" slice on thumb(that bled the rest of ride). I know I saw a post about this somewhere on the site but a search = nothing. I think all recessed fillers are the same and I was searching on SERK page???? Anybody help with a part # or removal instructions. Thanks
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: Finally happened to me
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 06:20:17 PM »

are you talking about the little chrome trim piece that goes around the flush mount fuel cap?  if so, that's an easy replacement.  i just did mine (albeit they gave me the part under warranty).  it's just a piece of plastic thats chrome plated, runs around $12.00.

if you're looking at item 10 on the attached pic, the part number is: 63028-06 (chrome) or 73015-08 (black).  it'll pop off easy enough, and when you go to put the new one on, just make sure the area is clean, then test fit the new one.  you have to rotate it until you find the 'best fit'. then peel off the backing, and stick it in place.  easy peasy.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 03:02:45 PM by skratch »
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

luc.who

• Senior CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Slate gray/Black
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 06:40:12 PM »

mine came off with a gas overflow in Jan.   good advice on the fit. maybe mark it with a tire pen. 
2012 FLHXSE3 Slate Gray/ Diamond Black
Drago Heads & 580 Cams
118 HP and 125 TQ
Built & Tuned by Wide Open Cycles in Virginia
TTS Master Tuner
Fullsac DX Header
Rinehart 4inch slip ons

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 07:43:44 PM »

That's it, put on order today. THANKS!!!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 01:45:33 AM »

My cap failed the other day,second time,  would not seat fully. At highway speeds gas was leaking out and blowing back on me. Went straight to the dealer and filed a ESP claim.  Had to have the dealer siphon off about a gallon so the gas would not blow out on me.  I had only gone a mile and the trim ring blew off on the highway.  This is getting to be a PITA.
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

luc.who

• Senior CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Slate gray/Black
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 04:25:14 AM »

My cap failed the other day,second time,  would not seat fully. At highway speeds gas was leaking out and blowing back on me. Went straight to the dealer and filed a ESP claim.  Had to have the dealer siphon off about a gallon so the gas would not blow out on me.  I had only gone a mile and the trim ring blew off on the highway.  This is getting to be a PITA.

I had the same problem on the gas blowing all over me, that really pi**es you off.  I didnt think to consider the esp, I was able to get mine on and turn it to find the best location. Mine has been fine since I put it on in March.  Again, I recommend marking the best fit before pulling the tape off the adhesive.
2012 FLHXSE3 Slate Gray/ Diamond Black
Drago Heads & 580 Cams
118 HP and 125 TQ
Built & Tuned by Wide Open Cycles in Virginia
TTS Master Tuner
Fullsac DX Header
Rinehart 4inch slip ons

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 10:16:59 AM »

I'm looking at replacing the O-ring on the cap.  It seems to collect water after a rain or a wash.  I only noticed it when I removed the cap along with some water.  Not sure if it stops at the O-ring or if it leaks past it.  I suspect some gets by because it runs rough when it rains hard.  Either way I regret purchasing the kit many years ago. 

• 5k CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 10:25:27 AM »

My SERK came from the mothership with it.......have never been a big fan. Also for anyone needing one, the part # on the parts blow-up above is the black version. The chrome version is 63028-06

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 02:42:13 PM »

good catch.  i had just done a quick cursory look, knowing that mine came with it, and it was chrome.  wasn't thinking that the black trim was available on one of the other colors available that year (2013).  so for future thread searches:

trim ring (chrome): 63028-06
trim ring (black):  75015-08

adkg12

• Full CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2007 FLHRSE3 - CVO Screaming Eagle Road King.
CVO Flush Gas-cap
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 09:06:40 AM »

Is it just me or is that CVO Flush Mount Gas Cap a huge piece of junk? LOL...

Mine leaks, doesnt sit flush, gets stuck, etc....

Just a rant..
Thanks
Glen

adkg12

• Full CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2007 FLHRSE3 - CVO Screaming Eagle Road King.
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 09:10:27 AM »

I just actually posted gas cap issues myself..! LOL.. That thing is a real quality item... (sarcasm).  I have taken mine apart, and tried to come up with a "fix" I give..!! 
Glen

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2013 Road King
    • HVAC
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 11:34:07 AM »

GREAT!!! and as of two days ago, my second one is coming apart. (trim ring) The first one came off in my hand. This one would put a paper cut on your hand if you aren't careful. This is frustrating. I suppose I should just treat the gas cap and trim ring as a maintenance item and plan on changing it out twice a year...   ;)

This is silly for such an expensive bike.

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 01:50:42 AM »

GREAT!!! and as of two days ago, my second one is coming apart. (trim ring) The first one came off in my hand. This one would put a paper cut on your hand if you aren't careful. This is frustrating. I suppose I should just treat the gas cap and trim ring as a maintenance item and plan on changing it out twice a year...   ;)

This is silly for such an expensive bike.

Wait until you see the price on the replacement.  If all parts on these bikes where this high you would pay in excess of $1,000,000 for the bike.   I was told the replacement part where $110, for parts that probably cost $4 to produce!
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 03:10:40 PM »

the replacement cost for the trim ring is somewhere in the neighborhood of $10-12.  I find that what contributes to the chrome peeling is allowing the fuel pump nozzle to lean against it when filling the tank.  if you hold the nozzle vertical, and don't put pressure against the trim ring, it lasts much longer.  my bike is on it's second replacement for that.  the original and the first replacement, I just filled up normally.  after the 2nd replacement, I am very careful to hold the nozzle up.  I was going to make a small pvc 'guard' that would fit inside the refuel area, but haven't gotten around to that yet.

now if you're referring to the fuel cap itself, that bugger is $94.  what is the real killer is the fuel gauge, $270, which doesn't make any sense to me since you can buy the whole kit, fuel gauge and flush mount cap for $210 (or less from a 20% off dealer)

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 04:48:32 PM »

the replacement cost for the trim ring is somewhere in the neighborhood of $10-12.  I find that what contributes to the chrome peeling is allowing the fuel pump nozzle to lean against it when filling the tank.  if you hold the nozzle vertical, and don't put pressure against the trim ring, it lasts much longer.  my bike is on it's second replacement for that.  the original and the first replacement, I just filled up normally.  after the 2nd replacement, I am very careful to hold the nozzle up.  I was going to make a small pvc 'guard' that would fit inside the refuel area, but haven't gotten around to that yet.

now if you're referring to the fuel cap itself, that bugger is $94.  what is the real killer is the fuel gauge, $270, which doesn't make any sense to me since you can buy the whole kit, fuel gauge and flush mount cap for $210 (or less from a 20% off dealer)

You might be on to something about holding the fuel nozzle vertical. I have always done this since I bought the bike in April of 2013 and so far knock on wood I have not had any issues with mine.

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 22 queries.