Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Saddlebag/Pannier Design Flaw (IMO)  (Read 2010 times)

HN Man

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 Street Glide Starfire Black - FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2016 Softail Deluxe Red Sunglo - FLSTN
Saddlebag/Pannier Design Flaw (IMO)
« on: August 01, 2015, 09:15:45 PM »

Maybe I'm suffering from grumpy old man syndrome, but there is one aspect of my SG that I find particularly annoying.
It relates to the electrical speaker connectors (which enable removal of pannier) being so "chunky" and located on the inner side walls of the hard panniers. As such, whenever I wish to use the soft bag inserts, those damn speaker/amplifier connectors get in the way and you have to navigate around them as presumably the connectors are also delicate.
The inner shell of the pannier should be without obstruction and smooth, particularly as it would have been so, so easy to have positioned the speaker/amplifier connectors in a location where they don't obstruct the inner pannier area.
Does this annoy others or am I being too harsh?
2015 CVO Street Glide - FLHXSE
Starfire Black/Gold Dust Flames
&
2016 Softail Deluxe - FLSTN
Mysterious Red Sunglo & Velocity Red Sunglo

Pita

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
Re: Saddlebag/Pannier Design Flaw (IMO)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 11:53:11 PM »

You are not being harsh in my opinion. For those of us that travel and/or owned a 2014 SG for example, not only are the harnesses and wiring in the way, the saddlebags hold less as evidenced by the smaller inner removable bags that came with the CVO. I had to ease my helmet into the right saddlebag and it wouldn't fit in the left bag (Bell Half Face).

One of the major issues I had w/my CVO SG was the stereo. Multiple blown speakers, for example. See my comments in "Goodbye CVO" and in another thread " My CVO has been pushed..."

After 11 months of ownership, I threw in the towel and purchased a 2015 Ultra Limited (non CVO). For those of us that like music, the stereo was one of 3 key selling points on the CVO SG.

Hopefully the MOCO fixes these "little things" in the future. People even complained about the tank and the gas cap on the right and no dummy on the left to balance the design.

I didn't have any paint issues, but it became a large enough problem w/others that they made a 2015.5 SG w/less "detail in the paint", but charged the same price.

No back rest, no heated grips, etc....these should be standard in the future.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 09:36:39 AM »

The 'bags' that came with my'12 SG were so stiff that I was worried about ripping things off the walls of the saddlebags when pulling the 'bags' out' I kept the much softer 'bags' from my '08....they work better...but still have to be careful.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

15FLHXSE

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WV

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 01:53:20 PM »

Agreed, the connection is poor design (HD gets a F- for this).  From day one, I've been disappointed with this part of the bike because it looks like a poorly done aftermarket hack-job.  I actually worry about damaging the connector when loading or removing my jacket from the saddlebag. It would have been much better to just have the clunky plug connection on the outside of the bag...out of sight.  At least then you'd only have the loose wire to deal with on the inside. 

Even with the disconnect on the inside, I can't understand why the hell HD used a plug that freak'n big. And why have 2 seperate connections?! ...couldn't HD have run the amp and the speakers wires through the same connection without a connector that could run a welder?     

mrambo4

• Full CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO3: 2015 CVO Street Glide. 2014 CVO Soft tail
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 07:23:01 PM »

I totally agree the saddle bag is a huge joke! With that plug you can't use the full capacity of the bags with the liners.  Someone needs to come up with a fix or a after market change.  It sucks. 

SGME9

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 10:55:21 PM »

I don't even use the bag liners. I lose the storage capacity when I use them. I am also afraid that I will destroy a connector because of the poor design.

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 25 queries.