Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Screwed up today --- don't do as I do please  (Read 12548 times)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: Screwed up today --- don't do as I do please
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 09:34:32 PM »

Glad you are OK Don!

Mike

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 10:13:35 PM »

After a little reflection later in the day I've realized some bad habits I've picked up over the years.  Ok, maybe not bad habits picked up more than good habits not practiced. 

When out on the two lanes I used to with some regularity do as we're all supposed to and practice the panic stops and war game in my head through scenarios.  Things like if someone pulling out in front.  Just to keep the habits at least somewhat habitual.  I don't do that anymore; and haven't for --- well--- I'm not sure how long.  But a long time.

I'll do the panic stops.  But sometime I stopped practicing through other reactions and maneuvers.  Even just as a mental exercise.  Whether that had any bearing today on losing what felt like half of the available reaction time to just staring straight ahead at the car or not I don't know.  I'm an old fart anymore so reaction times and reflexes already aren't what they were 20 years ago.  Can't afford to have the brain shut down at inopportune times on top of that.
  good advice!! work smarter not harder! but, did ya go back and check to see if your foot peg hurt the lil car.  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :nixweiss:

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 10:49:28 PM »

Don  the scary part is while your recuperating your sister would be your guardian  :nervous:
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 11:05:41 PM »

Don  the scary part is while your recuperating your sister would be your guardian  :nervous:

Totally had not considered that.  Updating some docs tomorrow.  Fu&k that.

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 11:31:33 PM »

Don,
Thanks for sharing that.  Too often we want to stare down a driver in the hope that'll help them see us somehow, or that it'll make them do something more smart than they're about to do.  But heck, when panic mode sets in, it can be real hard to think straight and do the best thing.  It's kind of a crap shoot then.  We've all been there.  I know I have.
Jerry "Motorman" Palladino has been teaching the same thing for many years that you just said...always look where you want the bike to end up being, and your hands and arms will steer the bike there.  You may not like the man, but his methods work.
I'm glad you're ok, and I'm glad your bike's ok as well. 
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 11:56:13 PM »

Glad you didn't get dead!

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 12:55:11 AM »

Glad you're in one piece, buddy.  Still agile, like a cat!  And at your advanced age, to boot!  Very impressive.   :znotworthy: :znotworthy: :znotworthy:

Dan

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 10:24:57 AM »

Most riders would have said oh chit this is it!!!  Somehow you had the thought of having to rebuild the SERK again!  I remember following those post but they were done because you wanted to not because you had to.  Glad your OK.  Now that we have that out of the way don't you think it about time to do another project?  Red is a nice color,  how about something different?  Like how do you make an ugly 08 SERK with the anniversary color something that a person could like.  I never liked the color but I thought it would grow on me, 8 years later I still don't like the color but at this time I can only afford a few colors from a rattle can.  Now that would be a challenge.

Don't want to make lite out of this glad you made it out of a bad situation.  Having this on Go-Pro would have been a great learning tool.   

Stay Safe

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 11:24:18 AM »

Glad you didn't get dead!

Yeah.  That was even better than not having to rebuild the Road King :2vrolijk_21: .

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 11:27:23 AM »

Most riders would have said oh chit this is it!!!  Somehow you had the thought of having to rebuild the SERK again!  I remember following those post but they were done because you wanted to not because you had to.  Glad your OK.  Now that we have that out of the way don't you think it about time to do another project?  Red is a nice color,  how about something different?  Like how do you make an ugly 08 SERK with the anniversary color something that a person could like.  I never liked the color but I thought it would grow on me, 8 years later I still don't like the color but at this time I can only afford a few colors from a rattle can.  Now that would be a challenge.

Don't want to make lite out of this glad you made it out of a bad situation.  Having this on Go-Pro would have been a great learning tool.   

Stay Safe

Thanks Ray, and thanks everyone.  Very pleased I didn't get squished like a bug.

Another project?  Hmmm.....  If I did another bike project soon it'd probably be an FXR.  When there is time for a next project though it'll probably be four wheeled rather than two.  Haven't built a car in a long time now.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 07:50:05 PM »

Glad you're still all up and running, Don!  :2vrolijk_21: Cages just ain't looking for Motorsickles!  :nixweiss: Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2015, 08:45:47 PM »

Glad your able to pass the reminder on to us all. Think we all get laxed from time to time and its good to get snapped back to reality with no harm
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2015, 10:23:30 PM »

Glad you're still all up and running, Don!  :2vrolijk_21: Cages just ain't looking for Motorsickles!  :nixweiss: Later--HUBBARD

That's so true Carl.  I can't even say this guy didn't stop or didn't look.  He did both.  Just looked right through me then pulled out.  Nothing intentional.  I was in dark clothes on a relatively dark red bike against a busy background.  The cage driver just didn't see me.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2015, 03:50:09 AM »

Near misses like that are such a wake up call. So glade it was not a sleeper. Way to close :nervous:

Keep safe Don

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2015, 08:11:43 AM »

Glad you're OK, Don! You are being to easy on the guy. That "I didn't see him" don't cut it. 1000lb scooter, 200lb man, headlights blaring. He just didn't think, or thought "He will stop"...........3 secs either way and you could have been gone forever!!! ACCEPT NO EXCUSES
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 08:14:48 AM by 2k »
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 26 queries.