Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: poor review on handling?  (Read 4226 times)

lnadler

poor review on handling?
« on: May 14, 2015, 05:15:45 PM »

I am interested in purchasing a 2014 or 2015 cvo softail deluxe, but I'm concerned about reviews I read saying the bike handles well on a smooth paved straight road, but poorly on curves and scrapes bottom on many turns due to its low height. I have read this in more than 1 review.  For those of you with this bike, do you agree with the reviewers?
Maybe I am better off the a heritage softail classic?? But I really like the cvo! Thanks for your help

MplPaul

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

Re: poor review on handling?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 06:05:01 PM »

I have a 2014 CVO Softail DL and the ride is great. I once had a problem with scraping the foot rest but I was on the lean quite badly. the only negative comment I have is I wanted to put Risers on the bars (pull back) but as of this date I still have not found any that will fit as the Speedo is incorporated into the stock riser.  >:(
Great CVO :)

dirtyike

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 01:01:30 AM »

I've had no problem with handling so no complaints there. When i test rode the bike i did scrape alot, but it was because i was test riding it 2up and the shocks at the default setting which is for about 175lbs we are over 300 when you combine my wife and I. I made sure the dealer adjusted the shocks before giving me the bike....i've probably scraped a handful of times...but only when 2up

Rob67

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 10:58:12 AM »

Just purchased a 15 CVO Deluxe and have not had any scraping whatsoever. 

Very happy with the purchase.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 12:25:32 PM »

If you are accustomed to riding a Softail, there's no issue. They do have a lesser lean angle than most other machines out there.
if you are riding a Touring model (riding it hard) and get on a Softail you'll likely see a difference. I know I did.
BTW, the Heritage is not better it's actually a little lower. The vast millions of Softails being ridden out there are NOT dragging their hard parts on the ground.
 Comparing lean angles, though, may shed some light.

Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

lnadler

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 06:19:59 AM »

Thanks for the replies. Can the shocks on the softail be adjusted on the fly- by me?

BigDawgBrent

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 04:20:25 PM »

I agree... no more scraping than any other Softail, but it's definitely not the same ride as a touring model.

As for adjusting the suspension "on the fly,"  it's definitely something the DIY-er can do... but you need to be safely parked and off the bike before you go making that adjustment!

Foot Loose

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 05:10:27 PM »

I've had both the heritage softail and now the Deluxe.  I've scraped both bikes on turns and I don't think there is much, if any, difference between the two. 
I'd rather push a Harley, than ride a Honda

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE Dragula 2, SESTP, C&C Fastback
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 09:46:44 PM »

Softails don't have any cornering clearance, but when you have floorboards (Deluxe, Heritage, Fat Boy) that's what you'll drag way before anything else. I went from a Heritage to the CVO King and there is a huge diff. If you like to lean it over get a Touring bike or a Dyna. On a Softail you just have to be more careful through the curves and turns. Take them a little slower if they are tight, and don't worry about dragging those boards.
2014 CVO Road King: Titianium/Black, Dragula 2 (2-1), SESTP, C&C Fastback

Lone Rider

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: Softail Deluxe 2014
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 10:37:55 PM »

the only negative comment I have is I wanted to put Risers on the bars (pull back) but as of this date I still have not found any that will fit as the Speedo is incorporated into the stock riser.  >:(
Great CVO :)

I'm getting the Townsville dealership to look at a 2" inch rise with a part they've sourced. They seem to think theres enough slack in the cables to get it done. I'll report back how it goes.

MplPaul

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 01:13:28 PM »

I'm getting the Townsville dealership to look at a 2" inch rise with a part they've sourced. They seem to think theres enough slack in the cables to get it done. I'll report back how it goes.

Let us know how you get on. I`m sure the front brake line will have to be changed but so longing for this type of extension to mine.
cheers
Paul

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 24 queries.