Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Wiring spotlights to stay on with high beams on.  (Read 22726 times)

Bob Morasko

Wiring spotlights to stay on with high beams on.
« on: April 10, 2011, 10:25:43 PM »

I have a 2010 Harley Ultra Classic CVO.  I live in a rural area and need to wire the spotlights to stay on with the high beams on.  A reliable source advised me route the orange and white wire with a red cap from the headlight harness and plug the wire into the spot light switch.   I pulled the wire and fed it to the spotlight switch to only find that there is not a connector on the switch to plug the wire.  Can someone advise me where to plug the orange and white wire?   Thanks!

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Wiring spotlights to stay on with high beams on.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 09:13:24 AM »

The switch gets its power from the low beam wire on the headlight. Cut the out wire to the switch and spice it to the orange and white wire. I usually change the fuses with a 20 amp one on  the acc and the headlight also.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 10:48:33 AM »

Bob,

Here's a thread that will help:  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=53274.0

It's actually quite easy. Just remove the lock assembly, and flip over the switch panel.  You will see a yellow wire that goes to the spot switch. Then locate the Orange/Red wire on the accessory switch.  Simply cut the yellow wire about a 2" from where it appears from the harness. Cap that with shrink wrap. Then cut the Orange/Red wire an inch or 2 from the switch, and strip 1/2" from all three wires (Yellow and both ends of the Orange/Red) slide on some shrink wrap, then twist the three together, with the one side with two wires. Solder, and protect with the shrink wrap.

Very easy job, and takes less than 1/2 hour. I just double check and make sure that the Orange/Red is the same on the 2010's. I think it is, but just use a meter and make sure it's always hot in each of the accessory switch positions.

I hope this helps.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 02:15:16 PM »

The switch gets its power from the low beam wire on the headlight. Cut the out wire to the switch and spice it to the orange and white wire. I usually change the fuses with a 20 amp one on  the acc and the headlight also.

Why?  Unless you upgraded the wire gauge in the circuits involved, all you've done is eliminate the safety feature the fuses provide.  I hope you don't stick 20 amp breakers in all your 15 amp circuits in your house.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Bob Morasko

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 09:25:11 PM »

What year was your bike?  Was your bike a CVO with a toggle spot and speaker switch.  My 2010 CVO has four wires to the toggle spot/speaker switch: I am concerned the toggle switch may function differently.  To clarify, how far away from the switch do u cut the yellow wire?  Finally, what type of solder and shrink wrap do you recommend?   
Thanks,
Bob

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 10:05:06 AM »

Don't mess with the speaker switch!!! The only two wires you will be touching is the Yellow wire coming from the Spot Light switch. And the Orange/Red (Orange with a Red stripe) from the Accessory Switch. Do NOT touch anything else!

Now, regarding the yellow wire. It connects to the Spot Light switch on one end, and if you follow it to the harness where it disappears, cut it approx 1" to 2" from there. make sure you wrap it well with shrink wrap. I actually dab liquid tape on the end then shrink wrap so that the end of the wire is embedded in about 1/4" inch. Never can be too safe.

Now, after that, you can easily figure out where you can tap into the Orange/Red wire from the Accessory switch so that the wires lay nicely. I found that cutting the Orange/Red wire approx 2" from the switch worked great for me.

Regarding solder and shrink wrap, just go to the local Radio Shack - they will set you up with an inexpensive gun as well. Very easy. My 2006 SEUC is a CVO, but I have done the same mod on a couple of my buddies bikes, one a std UC and it was fine. Nothing to worry about.

If you're in the Chicago area, bring it by and I'll show you how.

Bob Morasko

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 02:27:47 AM »

Big thanks for the response.  I live in Wyoming.  I want to clarify on the 2010 CVO Ultra, the speaker switch and the spotlight switch are the same switch.  If you push the bottom of the switch a light goes and the spots start.  If u push the top of the toggle switch, the speaker light comes on.  I therefore have to mess with the speaker switch which is also the spotlight switch.  The switches may be different on an 06.  Please advise.   

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 06:44:34 AM »

Big thanks for the response.  I live in Wyoming.  I want to clarify on the 2010 CVO Ultra, the speaker switch and the spotlight switch are the same switch.  If you push the bottom of the switch a light goes and the spots start.  If u push the top of the toggle switch, the speaker light comes on.  I therefore have to mess with the speaker switch which is also the spotlight switch.  The switches may be different on an 06.  Please advise.   

I have a 2010 and the method mentioned in the above posts works great on older bikes but not the bikes with switches that Bob Morasko is talking about .

I would like to know how also on later model bikes.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 10:54:43 AM »

Guys, I just did this on a 2010 Standard Ultra Classic, and it works fine. While I have not done this on a 2010 SEUC, which might have some minor difference due to the locks switch, the principle and logic is the same.

Essentially, the yellow wire provides 12+ to the +coil of the spot relay from the LB circuit.  When the LB/HB switch is cycled to HB, it losses power and you loose the Spots. As such, all you are doing is splicing the yellow wire into the incoming side of the accessory switch that has full time 12v, while the ignition switch is in Ignition or Access.

Now, due to the locks swtich, they might have changed things around a bit, but you should be able to very easily associate these instructions to make this work. When you have the panel open, find the yellow wire. With the Ign off, use a meter on the switch terminal and see if you have power to it. S/B no. Then put the Ign to Ign and on LB's. You should see power now. If you switch to HB's, their s/b no power. Once that is confirmed, you are set on the yellow wire. Following that wire, it goes to the right side of the neck into a loom going towards the fairing.

Then go to the accessory switch. Turn the ign switch to Ign. Turn the accessory switch OFF. Check each terminal (and attached wire color) and take notes of those showing power. Then flip the accessory switch to on. Again, take note of which terminal has power. One will have power under both conditions (on and off) and one will have power only with the switch on. The wire you want to tap into is the wire that had power when the accessory switch is on and off.

The bottom line is, it doesn't matter where you get the power from, you simply have to tap that yellow wire into a full time power lead (with the ignition on) to enable the spots independantly of the HB/LB selection.

Bob Morasko

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 09:23:13 PM »

Thanks for your assistance!

WVULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 12:22:41 PM »

If you don't want to deal with wiring it yourself, this might be an option from MoCo:

Kit Number
Models
This jumper harness allows the front auxiliary lamps on 2010
and later FLHT models to remain ON with both the low beam
and high beam headlamp, to meet Japan regulations.

:bulb2:
'07 Ultra Classic
Axtell Mountain Motor 107" 
Baisley Stage II Heads
HPI 48 Conversion TB
SE Intake w/Zippers Max-Flow
Rinehart Tru Duals
TTS MasterTune
'08 Brembo Conversion

Bob Morasko

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 09:52:20 PM »

I had the harley dealer order the part number you recommended.  I viewed the part tonight and it is for a Softail (Instructions).  I am not sure that this is the right part.  Can you please confirm the part number?  Are you sure this will work with the CVO: The CVO has all the accessories etc when compared to the FLHT?
Thanks,
Bob

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 09:49:30 AM »

Why?  Unless you upgraded the wire gauge in the circuits involved, all you've done is eliminate the safety feature the fuses provide.  I hope you don't stick 20 amp breakers in all your 15 amp circuits in your house.

Jerry

EXACTLY
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 05:13:24 PM »

Hello Guys, from the Top of the World "Down Under"

In Australia, the lights are 100 watt, and ONLY come on with the High Beams...   Interestingly, HD changes these things for shipping to International Destinations.   Now this makes me think the basic wiring harness might be OK to handle this, but you can measure up the wire size to see for yourself. 

MY POINT: Are the spotlights only 50 watt in America???  My spot lights ONLY come on with High Beams...  (added to my CVO Street Glide for old school look and angled out 5 degrees for safety.. Roos)  If yours are 50 watt, How do they look as far as light goes? 

With Big Blue coming in July, as a MAJOR Tourer, I already have done 6000 kms this year and I would like the "Spotlights" on with LOW BEAM for safety at night against the Roos, and safety against Traffic in the day time (we are mandatory automatic lights on)

So, will this work?  Is the 50 watt good enough at night to get side road illumination?  And not to bright to run with Low Beams ????

Best regards with "International Version" CVO...... Here with my Ugly Mug, showing you the Street Glide with CVO "Passing Lights"...  Cheers

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 08:36:53 AM »

Does anyone know if this method effects the garage door opener? Want to try, but opener is very important.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 25 queries.