Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9  All

Author Topic: 2014 CVO Ultra problems  (Read 54492 times)

ultrarider123

Re: 2014 CVO Ultra problems
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2013, 08:27:21 AM »

Tir, thanks so much for the suggestions on the lights.  I'll check them out  :2vrolijk_21:

One thing I've done on both my SESG (with the Phase 7) and Skunk Ryder's SERG (with the Daymakers) is elevate them a bit more than the stock/standard settings.  I know with the skunk behind me (day or night) I have NO problems seeing him.  We also upgraded to the  Custom Dynamics halo/turn signals as tlr and quite a few others of us have done....really tell a big difference being seen in daylight with them on.  Probably upgrade to the Moto lights eventually, too.  Very well made product from what I can tell

Again, thanks for taking the time for your thorough review of your '14 CVO limited

ual767plt

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2013, 08:35:53 AM »

Let me tell you that while riding to, riding at, and coming home from Sturgis, the HD Daymaker lights were the most visible daytime lamps we noticed. The Phase 7 has a spot when coming head on to it that blanks out and looks like there is no light coming out.

Thanks, that's nice to know.
'20 FLHTKSE

ual767plt

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2013, 08:38:51 AM »

I don't understand why it would overheat, if the cooling fails, shouldn't it simply be an air cooled Vtwin motor again????  :nixweiss:

When I was out on a group ride last Friday, there were two older CVOs in the group, but my bike was the only one that immediately went into ETIMS mode at stop signs/red lights.  I suspect the reason they were running cooler is because they both have the premium oil coolers, and the new '14s do not.  The water pump is now where the oil cooler used to be on previous models.  Since the ECM reflash later that day, the bike has been performing well.  I did a 200+ mile ride on Saturday with no issues.  Doing another ride today.
'20 FLHTKSE

ual767plt

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2013, 08:40:21 AM »

One thing I've done on both my SESG (with the Phase 7) and Skunk Ryder's SERG (with the Daymakers) is elevate them a bit more than the stock/standard settings.  I know with the skunk behind me (day or night) I have NO problems seeing him.  We also upgraded to the  Custom Dynamics halo/turn signals as tlr and quite a few others of us have done....really tell a big difference being seen in daylight with them on.  Probably upgrade to the Moto lights eventually, too.  Very well made product from what I can tell

Again, thanks for taking the time for your thorough review of your '14 CVO limited

A lot of great suggestions.  Thanks all!
'20 FLHTKSE

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2013, 08:45:00 AM »

Thanks, that's nice to know.
You're welcome. Rubber side down brother. Enjoy your new scoot.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2013, 09:05:44 AM »

Here is a pic with the lights.  One is yellow as I put a blinker on to capture that.  Hope that helps.
Something to keep in mind about this setup. A lot of states have laws stating no more than 4 forward facing white lights. Check your state laws before dropping the coin on the motolights/CD turn signal setup.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2013, 09:56:46 AM »

Something to keep in mind about this setup. A lot of states have laws stating no more than 4 forward facing white lights. Check your state laws before dropping the coin on the motolights/CD turn signal setup.

I did not know this.  Thanks for the heads up.  In looking quickly i see that some states say more than 4 and others say more than 6. I will investigate more. 

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2013, 06:33:11 PM »

I suspect the reason they were running cooler is because they both have the premium oil coolers, and the new '14s do not. 

without taking temperature measurements, you don't really know that the others were running cooler or not.  i have heard that they have changed the temp at which the eitms kicks in on the 14s and made it lower (in an effort to keep it from heating up as fast).  true or not, i don't know, seems there are no manuals online to be had yet.  hd doesn't have the owners manuals loaded yet on their website either.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

ual767plt

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2013, 09:48:34 PM »

without taking temperature measurements, you don't really know that the others were running cooler or not.  i have heard that they have changed the temp at which the eitms kicks in on the 14s and made it lower (in an effort to keep it from heating up as fast).  true or not, i don't know, seems there are no manuals online to be had yet.  hd doesn't have the owners manuals loaded yet on their website either.

Yes sir, you are absolutely correct!  I was at the dealership today, and one of the Techs contacted someone in engineering at the MoCo.  Apparently, there was a last minute decision to change the cooling 'strategy' on all the '14 bikes with the EITMS systems.  It was such a late decision, the description is not in the owner's manuals and service manuals.  Here is how the EITMS now works...if the outside ambient (not engine) temp is 80 deg F or higher, 4 minutes after the bike is started, the EITMS mode will kick in regardless of engine temp.  The Twin (liquid) Cooling is always working, but the fans only come on if the engine reaches a predetermined temp.  This was really confusing several service depts, since they were kept in the dark about the new 'strategy'.

Another high note....There was another Infotainment firmware update, Ver 7.1.1 released last Friday.  After downloading and installing it, several noticeable improvements.  The GPS is booting faster, and when navigating, the screen now displays distance and direction to the next turn.  Still only 9 waypoints.  The Tech asked the MoCo engineer about this, and was told there have been no complaints, and 'why would you need more?'
'20 FLHTKSE

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2013, 03:39:33 PM »

... Still only 9 waypoints.  The Tech asked the MoCo engineer about this, and was told there have been no complaints, and 'why would you need more?'

WTF??  All engineers should be verified riders themselves. That's nuts.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2013, 01:27:44 AM »

Picked up my Ltd. today.  Only put on 50 miles so far. I noticed the EITMS kicking on all the time at stop lights, so good to know I guess that's normal.
So far only complaint is every time I start the bike, the sound goes to rear speakers only.  I have to go into the Audio fader settings and as soon as I slide the fade in either direction the front speakers turn on and everything works fine.  Not sure what firmware I have, and I haven't updated anything.
Pairing my iphone 5 was very simple and intuitive via the menus.  That's it for now.  I love this bike!

Untitled by oneboltzfan, on Flickr
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue/Wicked Sapphire

ridefar

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2013, 11:03:12 AM »

Hey ual767, thanks so much for your very clear and concise appraisals of what you are experiencing with your new ride. If HD is listening they should be paying you for your experience instead of the "yes-men" on their staff that allow all the bugs to reach the consumer product. I am in agreement of your assessment of the "infotainment" system(which I feel has no place in any motor vehicle 2 or 4 wheels) that a bunch of old guys are going to end up in ditches while screwing with all the myriad gizmos. Joysticks and bigscreen tv on a motorcycle? Think alcohol and gunpowder. Best of luck to you sir with your new bike and enjoy the ride!

jaymedic44

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO limited silver/ autumn

• CVO1: 2009 Cvo ultra
    • CVO2: 2006 cvo ultra
    • CVO3: 2014 CVO limited
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2013, 10:42:20 AM »

I'm not sure why the complaints about the led lights and the GPS on the 14.
First the LEDs, I am the director of an ambulance service and have been a paramedic for over 27 years. I have seen more bad accidents involving motorcycles than i even want to remember. I have had Harley's LEDs plus a set of moto lights on my bikes since they came out. I am constantly recieving comments about how bright my lights are. My buddy was following me yesterday, he also has Harley LEDs , and he stuck out like a sore thumb.
Second the GPS
The screen on my 14 is much bigger, the auto brightness works great and with the color screen the contrast is fantastic. Being 60 my eyesight is not as good as what it used to be for seeing up close. The old zumo was becoming just about useless. I personally think this was one of the biggest and best improvements on the bike.
On My 09 cvo ultra I had replaced the baffles with Fulsac ,removed the cat , installed a 54 cam , put a high flow air cleaner and replaced the ECM with a thundermax. I thought the bike was a screamer until I jumped on my new TOTALY stock 14, well I removed the cat, and the 14 ran every bit as good as the 09 and ran cooler.
The new front forks are as good as the progressives I had on my other bike and I moved the legend air suspension to the 14
Over all I love the new bike and am very glad I upgraded
2014 CVO limited silver/autumn
2009 Cvo ULTRA 21 inch Pm wheels legend air ride progressive monotubs Fulsac exhaust
2006 Cvo ULTRA Autum Haze
2005 Heritage Softail World of wheels show bike
2004 Ultra Gold/Black
2003 Road King  Black/Silver
1999 Ultra Blue/Silver
1998 Road king Red/ Gold
1996 springer Custom
1974 Sportster

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2013, 11:16:24 AM »

I'm not sure why the complaints about the led lights and the GPS on the 14.
First the LEDs, I am the director of an ambulance service and have been a paramedic for over 27 years. I have seen more bad accidents involving motorcycles than i even want to remember. I have had Harley's LEDs plus a set of moto lights on my bikes since they came out. I am constantly recieving comments about how bright my lights are. My buddy was following me yesterday, he also has Harley LEDs , and he stuck out like a sore thumb.
Second the GPS
The screen on my 14 is much bigger, the auto brightness works great and with the color screen the contrast is fantastic. Being 60 my eyesight is not as good as what it used to be for seeing up close. The old zumo was becoming just about useless. I personally think this was one of the biggest and best improvements on the bike.
On My 09 cvo ultra I had replaced the baffles with Fulsac ,removed the cat , installed a 54 cam , put a high flow air cleaner and replaced the ECM with a thundermax. I thought the bike was a screamer until I jumped on my new TOTALY stock 14, well I removed the cat, and the 14 ran every bit as good as the 09 and ran cooler.
The new front forks are as good as the progressives I had on my other bike and I moved the legend air suspension to the 14
Over all I love the new bike and am very glad I upgraded
Thanks for the informative post Jay, you opened my eyes to a few good points.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

tpcrawford

• Tim
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2013, 01:20:41 PM »

I just took delivery of a 2014 CVO Limited Stardust Silver and Autumn Sunset yesterday.    Only thing is ..... the owners manual was missing.   Dealership is taking care of that for me but, I'd like to update the firmware on the radio.

How did you update the firmware on the Radio ?   I downloaded and extracted the iso file and placed it on a 16 GB flash drive.

I followed the instructions to Turn the Ignition to accessory  ...  then I found out, where's Accessory ?   It's not like my 2010 FLHTK.   So I turned the ignition to the right.  The Radio booted and recognized the flash drive and verified the iso image was ok.  The next prompt was ... are you sure, and please don't disrupt the process.    My only option at that point is NO.  Yes is grayed out.

So the next thing I tried was pressing and holding the trip button for more than 2 seconds.  Radio did the same thing, booted, recognized drive, verified iso and again will not allow me to select YES.   

Any ideas ?

-Tim
 BTW ... I'll post pictures of the bike shortly.

Yes sir, you are absolutely correct!  I was at the dealership today, and one of the Techs contacted someone in engineering at the MoCo.  Apparently, there was a last minute decision to change the cooling 'strategy' on all the '14 bikes with the EITMS systems.  It was such a late decision, the description is not in the owner's manuals and service manuals.  Here is how the EITMS now works...if the outside ambient (not engine) temp is 80 deg F or higher, 4 minutes after the bike is started, the EITMS mode will kick in regardless of engine temp.  The Twin (liquid) Cooling is always working, but the fans only come on if the engine reaches a predetermined temp.  This was really confusing several service depts, since they were kept in the dark about the new 'strategy'.

Another high note....There was another Infotainment firmware update, Ver 7.1.1 released last Friday.  After downloading and installing it, several noticeable improvements.  The GPS is booting faster, and when navigating, the screen now displays distance and direction to the next turn.  Still only 9 waypoints.  The Tech asked the MoCo engineer about this, and was told there have been no complaints, and 'why would you need more?'
2014 FLHTKSE CVO Ultra Limited, Stardust Silver, Autumn Sunset
2010 FLHTK Ultra Limited, Flame Blue, Vivid Black  --  SOLD
2007 VRSCAW VROD, Black Cherry Pearl  -- SOLD
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 24 queries.