Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advice needed 2001 SE Road Glide  (Read 1055 times)

miztrz99

Advice needed 2001 SE Road Glide
« on: March 16, 2011, 01:18:43 AM »

I am currently in the market for a bagger and found a used 2001 SE Road Glide for sale. My only issue with this bike is that it has 47,000 miles on it. I had in mind that I would try to find one with less miles on it, but there is no way I could afford a more recent SE. However, the cost of this bike (10, 500) has me looking at it based on the fact that in a couple of years I could rebuild or swap for a bigger engine and be well within the 20 K range. Can you please advise on the purchase of a bike with 47, 000 miles on it? I was advised to have a compression check done on the cylinders. However, I am not sure what the normal specs would be or if this would tell me anything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Advice needed 2001 SE Road Glide
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 01:44:36 AM »

I am currently in the market for a bagger and found a used 2001 SE Road Glide for sale. My only issue with this bike is that it has 47,000 miles on it. I had in mind that I would try to find one with less miles on it, but there is no way I could afford a more recent SE. However, the cost of this bike (10, 500) has me looking at it based on the fact that in a couple of years I could rebuild or swap for a bigger engine and be well within the 20 K range. Can you please advise on the purchase of a bike with 47, 000 miles on it? I was advised to have a compression check done on the cylinders. However, I am not sure what the normal specs would be or if this would tell me anything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

If the overall condition is good and the price is good, as it seems to be, the miles aren't frightening.  There are wear items (clutches, tires and brakes, for example) that are always part of the mix.  Drive belts last a long time if not abused.  And the engines were better then.  Much more robust bottom ends.

At 50k if the compression is good you just ride it.  If compression does happen to be down a bit maybe you buy an inexpensive top end rebuild.  Then you ride it for another 50k and then think about rebuilding the engine; maybe.

Honest these machines just aren't that complicated.  People don't do fork oil like they should.  At 50k it'd need it if that hasn't been done.  Maybe rebuild the swingarm mounts to tighten up the rear end.  Neither job is terribly expensive.  If the engine runs well and all the electronics work there's nothing expensive that is warning you against a bike like this.

duranh

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • Random photos
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 10:14:49 AM »

Post where your location is and there is somebody on this board that can recommend a shop to check out the bike for you. I do agree that this is not allot of miles for a stock motor.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 10:17:09 AM »

Forgot to mention earlier.  Their is one "wear" item that is very important to check.  If they've not been replaced in 50k miles get the cam tensioners checked.  That is enough miles they should be due.  If they do fail it's a big deal.  Caught in time not-so-much.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 10:56:54 AM »

...stator, crank sensor, and speedo sensor commonly need to be replaced around that mileage, so ask the seller about these items. If the speedo sensor goes out the turn signals won't cancel, cruise won't work and speedo jumps around, and sometimes just has to be cleaned. The crank sensor is cheap and just takes a couple hours to replace. Gear drive cams are expensive, but seem to be the only good solution to the chain tensioner issue. Those 00-01's are sweet bikes. Good luck with your purchase.  Doc

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 25 queries.