Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Air suspension...Arnott or Legends?  (Read 18553 times)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
Re: Air suspension...Arnott or Legends?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 12:19:31 PM »

Never having seen the Arnott compressor I cannot compare it to the Legend as for speed of inflating the shocks.  Like Midnight Rider said it does allow for precision.  And it seems to me that it is only maybe 30 seconds or so anyway.  What's the big hurry?  :nixweiss:  If I'm that pushed for time I'm most likely not on my motorcycle anyway.  I ride it for fun and relaxation not hurry, hurry.   :2vrolijk_21:
I was at Street Vibes a few years ago and walked up on a vendor demonstrating his shocks and was amazed how fast they pumped up and dropped down. I then looked behind his saddle bags and asked him hey I noticed you have Legends how does it go up and down so fast. His answer was I am using the Arnott compressor. Being short of inseam I like to drop down at some traffic lights when riding 2-up as balancing two people on your toes can be a chore. And as I take off I am holding the button in waiting to pump up to the right amount. Guess I like a right now otherwise I hear more shock, more shock from the back seat.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 12:24:16 PM by Rooster »

Fast FLHX

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Kryptonite FLHXSE2 (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2020 Smokey Grey/Black Hole FLHXSE
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 02:18:03 PM »

Considering going with the FBI Drop Seat kit.  Was quoted $400 install and $350 to color match the battery boxes.  Considering the legends air ride is the same cost for the kit and install is the same from HD dealer I am looking at a difference of only paint.

FYI, I called Mean City Cycle and they said CVO seats cannot be narrowed or lowered since they are already really thin.

For those noticing my for sale thread...I am clearly undecided.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 02:42:23 PM by Fast FLHX »

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 03:33:04 PM »

A couple of things to consider:  With the Legends, you not only get the ability to lower the bike when wanted/needed, but also get 100% better suspension.  If you decide to sell the bike, you can pull the Legends off the bike, put the stock stuff back on, and sell the Legends to recoup some of your money.  Leaving them on the bike will not increase the value of the bike unless you find someone who is willing to pay the difference between book value and what you are asking above that because of what you've done to the bike.  You never get your money out of anything additional you do to a bike...book value is book value. 

If you put the FBI kit on the bike, it's not really something every future buyer may want/need.  And with ABS brakes, you need additional parts.  I'm seeing the FBI kit as costing $1999.00, not including the additional ABS manifold.  Plus, you don't really know how comfortable the seat will be for you.  The standard kit gets you lower, but also moves the seat pan back 2", so then you may have a handlebar issue, not to mention foot controls.  The other kit that gets you even lower moves the seat position 2" forward, but narrows the seat considerably, so if you're a short person with a big butt, it may not be comfortable.  From my calculations, you'd have close to $3000 in the FBI kit install, if not a bit more.

$400 seems a bit much for installing the Legends, unless that price includes installing the switch wiring internally on the handlebars.  Otherwise, it's a 2 hour job.  Even if they do charge $400 and you pay full retail for the shocks, that's $2000.

:nixweiss:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Fast FLHX

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 05:34:45 PM »

Most of the people I talked to said that any of the air ride systems makes the ride firmer.

I would be going with the narrow kit if I did this.  I am 5'6" on a good day.

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 07:21:04 PM »

Both systems can be over pumped and thus be too firm, it just takes a couple rides experimenting to find the sweet spot. By the way I'm also 5'6", have tried all of the different stuff mentioned above and nothing at any price has worked better than my Arnotts at $1100 plus 2.5 hr. labor.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

sixgun95

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 11:31:15 PM »

I have the Arnott 13" 11 way adjustable.  Although I am extremely pleased with the flexibility to raise and lower the bike when needed I am not very happy with the ride quality (5'5", 165 lbs).  The ride is very stiff (no I don't fill them up all the way) and seems sharp when hitting bumps.  Its funny to have found this thread as I am considering swapping mine out for legends or progressives in the near future.  I count 7 sec when filling, full travel is about 11 sec, maybe I need to try much less pressure ???
2015 Ultra Limited Low

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 10:01:29 AM »

I was at Street Vibes a few years ago and walked up on a vendor demonstrating his shocks and was amazed how fast they pumped up and dropped down. I then looked behind his saddle bags and asked him hey I noticed you have Legends how does it go up and down so fast. His answer was I am using the Arnott compressor. Being short of inseam I like to drop down at some traffic lights when riding 2-up as balancing two people on your toes can be a chore. And as I take off I am holding the button in waiting to pump up to the right amount. Guess I like a right now otherwise I hear more shock, more shock from the back seat.
I hear ya.  Understand why the fill rate is important to you.  In your case the Legend compressor is definitely too slow.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 10:09:17 AM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2012, 10:40:30 PM »

I have the Arnott 13" 11 way adjustable.  Although I am extremely pleased with the flexibility to raise and lower the bike when needed I am not very happy with the ride quality (5'5", 165 lbs).  The ride is very stiff (no I don't fill them up all the way) and seems sharp when hitting bumps.  Its funny to have found this thread as I am considering swapping mine out for legends or progressives in the near future.  I count 7 sec when filling, full travel is about 11 sec, maybe I need to try much less pressure ???

Everyone I spoke with that had Arnott's seemed to be of the same opinion. Under 200 pound, not a good ride.
200 and more the ride got better the higher the weight.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 11:14:15 AM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Fast FLHX

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 10:28:35 PM »

So consensus is that the legends are a better ride than the arnotts at lower weight?

Hot.dog

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2012, 09:35:10 AM »

Ive spoke with several people that have the Legends and it sounds like they ride alot better than the Arnott's. I am on my second bike with Arnott's only because I get them for half the price of the Legends. I put them on my flhxse3 because im only about 5'8"... At ride height im still not flat footed when stopped, still looking for ways to get a little lower. Im thinking about lowering the front end too.
2012 Ruby red FLHXSE3
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 25 queries.