Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  All

Author Topic: The Harley Death Wobble  (Read 51532 times)

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
Re: The Harley Death Wobble
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2011, 11:36:48 AM »

very disturbing: as of Thursday evening a late 09 FLHTCUSE4 with some 15.000 m got the high speed wobble just out of nowhere. Bike ran 120 mph last year frequently without any problems. Got new tires last week and at the test ride suddenly developed a violent wobble just above 100 mph (solo). 2 of our mechs retried and got scared like hell. Fall away is ok, stearing head is at specs and freshly greased, wheels are perfectly balanced, tires double checked, pressure in tires and shocks at spec, engine mounts ok - cause of the issue still unknown after 2 days in the shop.

It's the first bike with the new frame to show the high speed wobble over here, both dealership and H-D's importers techs are just clueless. They started totally disassembling her Saturday ...

I want to hear what the diagnosis is so keep us informed please. I found a small wobble on the wife's SG in a uphill left hander at 100mph this morning.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2011, 11:52:16 AM »

On the SERK4 I have had the wobble occur on a couple of occassions. It only occurs over 100 mph with the chopped tour pak mounted in the solo position.

On an earlier trip this year I got to ride the same area with and without the tour pak mounted. I could not get her to wobble without the tour pak mounted. I agree with Hubbard; for some of us it's aerodynamics. I have to give her the left foot test next time.

JW

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2011, 06:22:26 AM »

I have a question on this one,,   Why would having the tour pack mounted give it a reason to have the "wobble"? :nixweiss:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2011, 06:45:22 AM »

our friends bike has been cured: it was the rear engine mount, the litterally last item checked. Exchanged and the wobble is gone. None of the parts showed any wear or damage so it was probably just added tolerance ::)

Might have even been there out of factory as it showed on a Autobahn run solo and he normally uses his Springer for solo runs only. Anyway it's gone  ;)
I think that this is the 1st occurance of a rear motor mount causing a 'wobble' that I can remember.  But, good to know so as to check there right away when/if one occurs (and you live thru it).  :-X spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Half_Crazy

« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2011, 08:38:19 AM »

I have a question on this one,,   Why would having the tour pack mounted give it a reason to have the "wobble"? :nixweiss:

weight bias front-to-rear change
aerodynamics change

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2011, 08:40:18 AM »

I have a question on this one,,   Why would having the tour pack mounted give it a reason to have the "wobble"? :nixweiss:

I know it doesn't make sense and I can't explain it. However, I can reproduce the wobble by simple remounting the chopped tour pak. Happens on deceleration consistently. I do not remember every having the wobble when she's naked.

Half_Crazy maybe right. I'm just passing on my observations fwiw.

JW

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2011, 10:45:19 AM »

aerodynamics change

WaaLaa.  :idea: That's why when Hub throws his big boot up on the hwy. peg he's shifting enough weight forward to change the stability of Maudie and the wobble decreases.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2011, 11:09:02 AM »

i have 65k on B/B and never even a vibration. Is it that the bike's neck bearings are properly set?  Tho only time I have ever had that happen was on a brand new RGUC.  :nixweiss:

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2011, 12:24:59 PM »

Anyone ever try giving the handlebars a good yank both and forth at slow speed (less then 25)?
I can feel what feels like the forks twisting in the trees. Don't even need to do it real hard, just try a little quick back and forth a few inches.

I'm sure what ever allows that feeling is also involved in the high speed wobble.
I have had the whole bike wobble thing on sweeping turns etc, mostly felt like issues in the rear of the bike. Tying the oil pan to the frame seems to have eliminated that.

I have experienced the “death wobble” once at 80 plus. After that I completely understand why it is called the death wobble. And the look of the girl in the car next to me confirmed what I was thinking.
I hope I never experience that again.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 09:03:38 PM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2011, 12:58:57 AM »

I HAVE A TRUE TRACK...   never leave home without it :2vrolijk_21:

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2011, 09:04:30 PM »

I have whatever the kit is that works withe Baker +1 pan.

I do have a Ride Str8 if someone is interested.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2011, 01:02:06 PM »

My 2011 RGU wobbled on me today at 25 MPH. I was zipping up my jacket so locked cruise and let go of the bars. Instantly wobbled. Simply grabbed the bars.

Couple years ago the ultra went into a wobble at 120 MPH. That was the death wobble. Or as they say in aviation...a near miss

Same thing with mine, set the swing at one and a slight wiggle..problem solved
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Sledge

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Black Ember, Rio Red
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2011, 06:15:41 PM »

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by "set swing to 1"?

Just when I get all warm/fuzzy about CVO's I read about a "death wobble".

I have taken my hands off the bars of my 03 ultra to pluck a bug out of my eye or zip up/down jacket, but have never had any probs with tracking.  It always tracked straight as it should since the tires/wheels should act like gyroscopic stabilizers.  My bike tracked straight as an arrow with no hands on.  In one of my motorpatrol classed a few years back the instructor actually recommended to let loose on your grip (without letting go of course) if you get into a wobble since the gyroscopic force will try to keep the wheel in line with the direction you are traveling.  Problem comes in he said when you try to compensate for the wobble and your reaction time is the issue.  By the time you make your correction it's too late and you will make the problem worse by starting and encouraging a "tank slapper".

I also heard from my local dealer that the new frame (not sure which year it was changed in) handles wobbles well and he also mentioned loosening your grip to let the wheels compensate for any wobbles you get into on sand in the road.

Anyone else experienced this problem or anything else to add?  I want to make sure that doesn't happen for sure.
"I don't want a pickle, just want to ride on my motorsickle,
and I don't want to die, just want to ride on my motorcy...cle."
Arlo Guthrie

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2011, 11:11:47 PM »

I have another question: Why run a 2 wheel vehicle >100 MPH?  I mean, I like to ride fast as my 3 tickets in the past year would show but 100 MPH seems somewhat excessive-JMO.  Stay upright brothers/sisters  :2vrolijk_21:
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2011, 11:19:06 PM »

aerodynamics change

Well yes, if coupled with loose neck bearings.  But please keep in mind that there are many of us running around on the same model, same year...don't have loose neck bearings and have rode with our bikes loaded (including king tour pack), unloaded, etc. and don't have this problem.  While others, that don't have a tour pack or leg fairings (or do have them), etc. etc. have also experienced it.  I think it has to be in an adjustment.....something that's different from one bike to another.

The common denominator is that when these guys that have the problem finally find a dealership that knows how to check it and adjust it correctly, that the problem goes away.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 24 queries.