Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Author Topic: The Harley Death Wobble  (Read 51528 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: The Harley Death Wobble
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2011, 11:26:03 PM »

I have another question: Why run a 2 wheel vehicle >100 MPH?  I mean, I like to ride fast as my 3 tickets in the past year would show but 100 MPH seems somewhat excessive-JMO.  Stay upright brothers/sisters  :2vrolijk_21:

Some might ask the same question about the speeds you were going when you got your tickets.  Not trying to be a smart azz, just sayin that it's different for everybody.  I ride 120 mph from time to time but I don't understand those guys riding those Hyubusa's come flying around us at 150 mph, or those that travel 10-15 miles and hour below the speed limit on a twisty road but will not use the turn outs that are provided.......it's all relevant to the observer. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2011, 11:32:03 PM »

Some might ask the same question about the speeds you were going when you got your tickets.  Not trying to be a smart azz, just sayin that it's different for everybody.  I ride 120 mph from time to time but I don't understand those guys riding those Hyubusa's come flying around us at 150 mph, or those that travel 10-15 miles and hour below the speed limit on a twisty road but will not use the turn outs that are provided.......it's all relevant to the observer. :nixweiss:

I hear you brother.  It is all relevant to the observer.  I'm waiting for my insurance rates the change (or shal I say "go up").  Take care!
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2011, 11:10:22 PM »

I see this thread is a few months old, but thought I'd reply anyhow.  I've only had this bike a little over a week.  07 CVO Ultra Classic.  And, I've noticed on a few occasions a front end wobble riding by myself. 

I checked the air pressure in the shocks.  They were at "0".  I added 15 lbs of air, figuring that would be a good amount for a 205 lb guy.  This last two days, no wobble so far.  I'm commuting with the bike around 27 miles each way on mostly freeway, so I'll remain vigilent on how it is handling.  It should not wobble at any speed.  I too have the leather, thus heavier trunk.

Any other observations since May? 
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2011, 11:12:21 PM »

I also believe this is why the San Jose Police department went to Honda ST1300s two years ago.  The officers I've talked with didn't like losing their Hogs, but I hear no complaints, now that they are on the ST1300s.

Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2011, 03:02:28 PM »

I also believe this is why the San Jose Police department went to Honda ST1300s two years ago.  The officers I've talked with didn't like losing their Hogs, but I hear no complaints, now that they are on the ST1300s.

I would think radios, helicopters, road blocks and stop sticks would quickly fix the problem.

It won't be long before bikes and cars in the future will have a GPS transmitted chip in them from the factory and dealer with the tag number and owner info transmitted to the police tracker just like NASCAR. Then they can skip the high speed chase stuff and either disable the vechicle or pick the violaters up when they get home. 

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2011, 03:16:59 PM »

I would think radios, helicopters, road blocks and stop sticks would quickly fix the problem.
It won't be long before bikes and cars in the future will have a GPS transmitted chip in them from the factory and dealer with the tag number and owner info transmitted to the police tracker just like NASCAR. Then they can skip the high speed chase stuff and either disable the vechicle or pick the violaters up when they get home. 

How would radios, helicopters, road blocks and stop sticks fix the problem of high speed wobble that he's referring to?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2011, 03:26:32 PM »

How would radios, helicopters, road blocks and stop sticks fix the problem of high speed wobble that he's referring to?

Actually I was referring to your post #90 and the subsequent replys i/e high speed 150 mph Busa's etc.

Regards

Jerry

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2011, 03:57:51 PM »

Actually I was referring to your post #90 and the subsequent replys i/e high speed 150 mph Busa's etc.

Regards

Jerry

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

It's easy confusing an old man, Jerry. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

West Coast GTG   

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2011, 03:59:56 PM »

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

It's easy confusing an old man, Jerry. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Try to keep up, JC   :huepfenlol2:  Actually, I didn't know WTF he was talking about either, so we must both be easily confused...reckon?   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2011, 05:30:10 PM »

Try to keep up, JC    :huepfenlol2:  Actually, I didn't know WTF he was talking about either, so we must both be easily confused...reckon?   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

I've heard that before.......but then they keep tellin me I ride to fast.  WTF...talk about confusing? :nixweiss:

West Coast GTG   

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #100 on: August 31, 2011, 05:35:42 PM »

I've heard that before.......but then they keep tellin me I ride to fast.  WTF...talk about confusing? :nixweiss:

Well I hope you guys are happy. Now there are at least 3 of us who are confused and I don't remember what we were talking about.........   :nixweiss:  :nixweiss:

Sledge

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Black Ember, Rio Red
« Reply #101 on: August 31, 2011, 07:25:48 PM »

"I don't want a pickle, just want to ride on my motorsickle,
and I don't want to die, just want to ride on my motorcy...cle."
Arlo Guthrie

Fast Eddie

« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2011, 01:09:36 AM »

Hey all,

I have a 2000 FXR4 that has the "Death Wobble." Before everyone gets bent; I've been riding for over 40 years and most of that on sport bikes. Never have I owned such a bike that I almost consider it unsafe to ride. The rear "fork" guts are being replaced with the True- Track TRACKULA Touring/FXR Kit. This also includes the True-Track stabilizer. I will soon let you know how it handles after the install.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #103 on: September 01, 2011, 08:56:45 AM »

Hey all,

I have a 2000 FXR4 that has the "Death Wobble." Before everyone gets bent; I've been riding for over 40 years and most of that on sport bikes. Never have I owned such a bike that I almost consider it unsafe to ride. The rear "fork" guts are being replaced with the True- Track TRACKULA Touring/FXR Kit. This also includes the True-Track stabilizer. I will soon let you know how it handles after the install.

As advised many times on this board.....have them do a fall away check and tighten the neck bearings.

West Coast GTG   

Hank Hankerson

« Reply #104 on: September 01, 2011, 10:21:08 PM »

Seriously!?  Not trying to offend anyone here, but I thought Harley's put the definition of Cruiser in the motorcycle dictionary; why drive them over interstate speeds in the first place?  Wouldn't that be like taking a '64 Chevy Impala Lowrider and trying to drive it fast as if it were a Dodge Viper?  There are companies that do make motorcycles that go right close to 200mph from the factory if pure speed is your thing (however those companies are not American).
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 24 queries.