Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Got my V&H Hi-Output Slip Ons this evening.... Install help???  (Read 6584 times)

CVOBros2

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE SESG Tequila Sunrise

I got my Vance and Hines High Output Slip-Ons tonight.  They are still in the box.  I have to say they look awesome!!!!   :2vrolijk_21:  Much nicer looking (IMO) and bigger than the Fatshotz I had bought before.  I hope they sound as good as they look.  I was hoping to install them this weekend.  They come with a whole new set of hardware and they look like they DO NOT mount like the stock mufflers do. 

Here is where I need your expertise and experience because I don't see any instruction sheets or books in the box.  How do these suckers mount?  Any tips or tricks to make these easier would be greatly appreciated.  :)

Thanks,

Mike

Kevinski

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 and lovin' it
    • CVO2: FLSTSE2 and loved it but sold it
    • CVO3: FLHXSE Tequila (sold)
Re: Got my V&H Hi-Output Slip Ons this evening.... Install help???
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 04:43:25 AM »

Hi Mike,

I have attached a pdf of the instructions. Only tips I think of, is that the front pipe heat shields tuck inside the V&H slip-ons and to make sure the clamps are gripping the pipes tight (try twisting the ends to make sure they don't move).

Cheers,

Kev

Kevinski

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 04:57:36 AM »

PS good choice of color

Pipes on the bike

CVOBros2

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 11:01:32 AM »

Thanks for the pdf.  That will help alot.  And yeah, that's a great looking bike you got there.  The best color for sure!  :2vrolijk_21:

Classic45

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 02:51:48 PM »

PS good choice of color

Pipes on the bike

[Nice looking pipes! What kind of Solo seat do you have?
See you only have License plate light. Did your bike come without rear/light, brake/light unit on the fender?]
2000 FLSTC Heritage Softail Classic
2005 FLHRC Road King Classic
2008 FLHTCUSE3
2010 FLHXE
2013 FLTRXSE2

Iron Butt Association Membership Number: 38579

CVOBros2

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 03:08:16 PM »

That bike is a U.S.A. spec bike, or at least the rear fender is.  The U.S.A. spec has the brake lights and turn signals intergrated together in the L.E.D. strips you see on the rear fender between the bags and the plate mount.

Kevinski

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »

Thats how it shipped, nasty tumour on the fender, HDI.

Swapped out the fender, wiring  harness and both rear LED's to USA domestic spec. I loved the domestic look and just could not live it as delivered, it's all down to personal preference.

and before the exhaust swap, and don't even get me started on that left hand pipe weenier  ;D ;D

The seat is a Corbin Classic Solo, red thread, flame stitch

I also have a Corbin Hollywood on order, I prefer the look on the Hollywood but can swap it over to the Classic on a long run.

I nearly went for the Kury licence plate, (even bought one) but decided that was just asking to get pulled over by our police and my smaller 'less than legal' plate was a good compromise.
To all the people that gave me ideas how to drain my bank account  ;D ;D, JC is the main man and Myko for the PM mirrors, thanks.

Kev

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE converted to FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTSCI
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 05:28:14 PM »

I have the same pipes, with the Vance and Hines Dresser Duals. 

I just sent a scathing email to Vance and Hines about the poor fitment.

Here's an excerpt:

Allow me to first describe my Sunday morning to you.  After we last emailed on Friday, I reseated the pipe as best as anyone could.  Tightened all the clamps, etc, and didn't ride at all on Saturday.  Sunday morning, I was participating in a Wounded Warrior ride for US Veterans, in Colorado Springs.  I left my house, rode to the bank (< 1 mile) and the SO had already come back off the headpipe.  I rode back home, and reattached it AGAIN.  Rode to the rally meeting point, and by the time I was there (approx 10 miles) the pipe had come off AGAIN.  I reattached once more, and participated in the ride.  This time, I had made it about another 10 miles, and it was off the headpipe, AGAIN.  Reattached, and rode home, where, as you guessed, it was once again off the headpipe.

Basically, my left (kickstand side) SO will not stay attached to the heap pipe.  And they won't center, and stick out far.  I ordered from them, preproduction.  I hope that something is wrong, because I can't get these to work out. 

Hopefully you don't have these issues.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.  Post up pics when you get it done.

CVOBros2

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 05:40:31 PM »

WOW!!!  :nervous: Sorry to hear that fish eye.  This is the first I've heard of anyone having trouble like that.  I know many people that have V&H exhaust and swear by them.     :nixweiss:

I didn't install mine this weekend.  I got busy doing other things.  It has rained here all weekend so I couldn't ride anyway.  I hope to get them installed this week sometime after work.   :confused5:

I'll let you know how it goes.  Keep us updated on your situation.

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 05:48:20 PM »

Will do. 

To show just how upset I am about this, here's a little more of the email V&H got.

I expect that Vance and Hines will make this situation right, with replacements or an other acceptable solution.  These pipes were ordered in September of 2009, and didn't not arrive until December.  I was more than patient at that point, waiting for a quality product, but now my patience has worn completely through.  With less than 300 total miles on the pipes, being faced with a situation like this on the start of a short riding season in Colorado, I am fed up.

If you're not able to resolve this at your level, please elevate to a level that can.  Understand my frustrations are not with you personally, but with this entire situation.

I expect to hear from you or someone at Vance and Hines first thing Monday morning, May 17.  My contact information is below.

I have the clamp tightened enough that it is actually "pinching" the pipe.  We'll see how anxious they are to have my loyalty.  They've had it before, since this isn't my first V&H purchase.  I am optimistic, and realistic at the same time.  Keeping my fingers crossed, still!

Kevinski

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 02:26:35 AM »

Hi fish eye,

I did find that I had to have the clamp right at the end of the slip on (toward the front) to get sufficient clamping to prevent the slip on moving.

If the V&H logo is not centred (around 20 degrees off), you may have the slip on on the wrong sides.

I just did 800 miles on a rally with no problems.

Cheers,

Kev

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 09:08:50 AM »

Thanks for the tip Kev!  Unfortunately, I have tried just about everything.  Placing the clamp at different spots where the SO connects to the head pipe hasn't worked.

I am hoping that Vance and Hines will step up, and allow me to exchange the system for something else within their product line.  I'll pay any differences in cost.  I don't think that's too much to ask to retain a happy customer. 

I'll keep everyone posted.

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 10:19:49 AM »

I had the same problem only with the V&H Classic Slip on and it was on the kick stand side, Think it was caused from the head pipe being short on that side, Anyway i removed the clamp, Drilled a hole thru the inlet end of the muffler and the head pipe, used a flat head metal screw them reinstalled the clamp over the flat head where it could not be seen, Problem solved, never had anymore trouble out of it.

I know, Paying that much for their product it should fit, But i didn't want the bike to sit around not being able to ride while V&H made up their minds on what to do.

07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 03:54:32 PM »

I hate to keep threadjacking, but the OP might right into similar problems.  Hopefully not.

The contact from V&H is working with his supervisor.  At the very least, he has recognized that the hardware that V&H packed with the pipes was the wrong type of clamps and what not.  I too agree that the headpipe is a little to short and doesn't fully seat into the SO.  I thought about what you did as well, and was thinking that with enough vibration over time, the screw would sheer off, and put me back at square one.  I want to tackle this while the pipes are still relatively new.

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 04:51:28 PM »

Just keep it in the back of your mind just in case V&H does not come up with a fix, I think they will. I never had any problems with the screw in the pipe and muffler and ran it that way for about a year, I can see what youre talking about really never thought about it shearing off.
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 25 queries.