Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Updated ESP pricing  (Read 16101 times)

tdowell65

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 SEUC 8
Updated ESP pricing
« on: September 17, 2014, 06:41:11 AM »

Wanted to see if anybody had a good spot with a good price to get the ESP.  I did get it on last bike from a recommended dealer here and got a great price, helped sell the bike when I got the new one.  But he was told not to sell them out of state for a while.  I hate paying for something like this anyway but on the last bike ended up having $3000 worth of motor work done on a 2 year old bike with 7000 miles on it.  Im surprised how all over the board the local dealers are on it.  In some cases $1000 difference.  So if you have a dealer that gave you a good price on a 3 yr extension to factory, please let me know as I have until Nov to get it.
Thanks

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Crimson - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Hard Candy / Smokey Quartz - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2024 FLTRXSTSE Golden White Pearl
Re: Updated ESP pricing
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 09:11:04 PM »

It would be great if some folks who recently purchased an ESP wouldn't mind telling us what they paid for there ESP and for how long. Not asking where or who to call but rather for haggling purposes.  8)

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 10:06:34 AM »

I’m not bashful about this issue… I paid $1,794 for a five year program last month with wheel and tire protection through my dealership in Maine. My factory warranty expires in February but they expected a price increase when the 2015’s hit the floor so I acted sooner. The ESP takes over when the factory warranty expires. I did a good deal of research, firstly to decide if this was worth pursuing or not – still undecided on this by the way, and several leads that were supposedly better deals at less cost didn’t pan out. I solicited five quotes; my dealer at the cost noted was the least expensive of three quotes that I could substantiate.

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 11:37:25 AM »

I wonder about how picky the ESP companies are about modified bikes? I mean who has a bone stock bike these days? I can understand having to repair electrical components and non motor issues but I could see how some might make an argument that having pipes and an ECU modification(tune) alters the bike and therefore void any claims. I would like to see the fine print on one of the contracts. Does altering the motor disqualify the entire bike for claims made on non motor issues?

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 11:54:58 AM »

The consensus appears to be 'it depends'... It's been stated here that one should never take the word of your dealer unless in writing, probably a good practice. In my case, I have a good relationship with my dealer, not to say I'm not overpaying or anything, but they know me and I've purchased three bikes from them. I asked the service manager about each mod explicitly before I bought the ESP because l didn't want  to spend the money without verification - this was not even a month ago. Engine work could definitely be an issue, but there are lots of other components it covers that shouldn't be affected. Probably you wouldn't know for sure before a catastrophic event and things are put to the test. There's risk certainly but they can only ding me once. PM me with your email if you wish and I'll send you a copy of my contract for review Dr.D...

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 01:21:39 PM »

The real issue is that ultimately the decision to cover or not cover a particular failure rests with the ESP company (CNA), not with the dealership.  So even if you have a great relationship with your dealership, and they've promised you they will take care of you, there are many times when they are overruled by the inspector from CNA.  And yes, if you dig into all the fine print you will find that they have given themselves very wide latitude to deny claims if you have altered the bike, used nonstandard parts, or even if you have installed a trailer hitch.  They don't need to catch you towing, they just assume if you have the bike set up for towing then you tow.  Since this is not a warranty that's regulated by federal law, but rather a service contract, they can put all the restrictions they want in those contracts.

I have always recommended that people obtain a copy of the full contract before agreeing to buy an ESP, but I'm sure the vast majority just believe the BS sales pitch from the dealership and sign on the dotted line.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrarider123

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 01:40:00 PM »

I'm still happy with the idea I came up with a few years ago.  When you buy your bike, set aside the cost of the ESP in a savings account, bond, or stocks.  When your factory warranty runs out, the money for the ESP is still in your control and you can use it as you see fit/need it for any repairs.  You have the freedom to mod to your hearts content without concern that any claim for repairs might be turned down.  Plus, you have a bit more freedom to negotiate a cash deal depending on the extent/cost of any mechanical failure.  I know a good portion of us will roll the cost of the ESP into the deal in financing so setting aside the cash may not be an option for you in that case and may be a bit harder to come up with that kind of money to save.
Think about it this way.  If you purchase the HD model of your choice along with a extended service plan and run out the 2 year warranty and say keep it past the years you purchased for the ESP (3, 4 or 5 year extended contract in most cases) and DON'T use the ESP for any repairs, your money is gone.  If you are able to take the option discussed and set that $1,200 to $2,500 (price range based on length of contract and shopped-around price) and go through the 2 year factory and keep it the additional 3-5 years, when you sell/trade your bike, you still have your money plus some depending on how fruitful you are with savings.

As one of our local talk show hosts says all the time "Something to think about"........
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 07:52:48 AM by Haird »

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 02:33:18 PM »

Good points all.  I think how much you ride can make a big difference in the decision.  Me, I ride an average of about 20k per year so the miles pile up pretty fast.  In my case the ESP is a must and has saved me $,$$$ on the four bikes I've kept long enough to get out of factory warranty.  Except for my 2012 I've always waited until just before the factory warranty expired to purchase the ESP.  But on the 2012 I wanted to add the wheel and tire coverage so I'd have that even during the time the factory warranty was in effect.  Good thing too since I damaged a wheel and it paid for the wheel and tire - oh yeah, and two more tires that picked up nails.  And the ESP is a bit cheaper ($150 when I bought it I think) if you buy it within the first 90 days of ownership I think it is.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 03:17:28 PM »

You are absolutely correct Jerry… The dealer may be powerless, or even worse, simply use the ESP provider as an excuse to stiff you when the time comes. I paid for the ESP after the fact – not part of the deal or in the financing, figuring if I were to make the purchase this was the best action available in a poor situation – this is the first ESP I’d ever purchasing. There is a definite risk of little or no recovery as I stated previously – I actually hope I never need it for anything with my bike. I decided to pay and when the time comes to mod the engine for reliability reasons, I’d cancel it and take whatever funds they’d return with at least some protection in the meantime. I recognize your response wasn’t directed at me personally – and I really do value your unique input on this and other matters you address in the forum, but I’ve been engaged in the business world many years and clearly understand the concept of theory versus practice in performance. My decision wasn’t predicated upon BS from some mid-level employee at the dealership. As stated, they have only one opportunity to stiff me. If/when that should ever occur you’ll know – the incident I’ll promote afterwards will probably make the national news – LOL…
Haird – your plan is sensible and a good one. I’m far from wealthy, but my plan entailed both an ESP purchase and banking the equivalent funds - I’ve got some redundancy.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 04:10:36 PM »

If you are able to take the option discussed and set that $1,200 to $2,500 (price range based on length of contract and shopped-around price) and go through the 2 year factory and keep it the additional 3-5 years, when you sell/trade your bike, you still have your money plus some depending on how fruitful you are with savings.

that's assuming of course that you won't have a lifter problem or a compensator problem or any number of other problems that is common with our cvo's.....
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 09:14:14 AM »

My biggest bitch about the ESP is that it has to break in order to use it.

I would rather do preventive maintaince and replace those parts that have proven to be week as opposed to riding a bike with a lit fuse :'(

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 10:18:02 PM »

Good points all.  I think how much you ride can make a big difference in the decision.  Me, I ride an average of about 20k per year so the miles pile up pretty fast.  In my case the ESP is a must and has saved me $,$$$ on the four bikes I've kept long enough to get out of factory warranty.  Except for my 2012 I've always waited until just before the factory warranty expired to purchase the ESP.  But on the 2012 I wanted to add the wheel and tire coverage so I'd have that even during the time the factory warranty was in effect.  Good thing too since I damaged a wheel and it paid for the wheel and tire - oh yeah, and two more tires that picked up nails.  And the ESP is a bit cheaper ($150 when I bought it I think) if you buy it within the first 90 days of ownership I think it is.

Jerry,

I have to agree with your post all around. Here is my experience.

Most of the mods on my bike were made by my dealer. My bike is 4 yrs old with 59k miles. I have had to use the ESP coverage at least 4 times on this bike. My return on investment in the ESP is at least 100% over that 4 years.

1. I had a clutch bearing go on me and got the whole clutch pack assembly replaced and they also discovered the door cover bearing was worn out and replaced it.
2. Then is was leaking gasket at the heads.
3. And a cracked oil pan.

They covered the rental car in case #1 for 5 days. I probably could have gotten my room reimbursed but it was my destination and I already have the room booked. If you are going to breakdown, nice to breakdown once you arrive at your destination.

In all cases, the dealer never asked about modifications and it's in the best interest of the dealer to not even bring it up as long as they are getting paid for their work/parts. Also, the ESP agents have never asked about mods either. The only mod I know of that will kill a warranty automatically is putting a trailer hitch on your bike.

Regarding pricing on ESP, I have been shopping a new bike (FLTRUSE) and got the following quotes so far. I believe this pricing will vary by model though the majority are likely looking at a touring bike.

Dealer        2+3 ESP   2+5 ESP
#1              $1900      $2700
#2              $2100      $2700
#3              $1644      $2399

#3 offered to work up a better deal on the price of the ESP.

I have heard of others doing even better on ESP pricing with recent purchases but I will leave it to them to share their information.

For me, it's just a matter of deciding to go for +3 or +5yrs. Given that you can't extend once you hit 75k miles, it might be a good strategy to do a +3 and then re-up for an additional +5yrs if that is even allowed per the HD/Insurance rules.

More than $0.02

DH

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 01:26:28 PM »

Jerry,

I have to agree with your post all around. Here is my experience.

Most of the mods on my bike were made by my dealer. My bike is 4 yrs old with 59k miles. I have had to use the ESP coverage at least 4 times on this bike. My return on investment in the ESP is at least 100% over that 4 years.

1. I had a clutch bearing go on me and got the whole clutch pack assembly replaced and they also discovered the door cover bearing was worn out and replaced it.
2. Then is was leaking gasket at the heads.
3. And a cracked oil pan.

They covered the rental car in case #1 for 5 days. I probably could have gotten my room reimbursed but it was my destination and I already have the room booked. If you are going to breakdown, nice to breakdown once you arrive at your destination.

In all cases, the dealer never asked about modifications and it's in the best interest of the dealer to not even bring it up as long as they are getting paid for their work/parts. Also, the ESP agents have never asked about mods either. The only mod I know of that will kill a warranty automatically is putting a trailer hitch on your bike.

Regarding pricing on ESP, I have been shopping a new bike (FLTRUSE) and got the following quotes so far. I believe this pricing will vary by model though the majority are likely looking at a touring bike.

Dealer        2+3 ESP   2+5 ESP
#1              $1900      $2700
#2              $2100      $2700
#3              $1644      $2399

#3 offered to work up a better deal on the price of the ESP.

I have heard of others doing even better on ESP pricing with recent purchases but I will leave it to them to share their information.

For me, it's just a matter of deciding to go for +3 or +5yrs. Given that you can't extend once you hit 75k miles, it might be a good strategy to do a +3 and then re-up for an additional +5yrs if that is even allowed per the HD/Insurance rules.

More than $0.02

DH

Below are the list prices given today for ESP w/tire and wheel for a Street Glide.  Will be discussing discount when picking up bike.

36 month - $1124
48 month - $1379
60 month - $1644
72 month - $1984
84 month - $2399

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 01:50:55 PM »

Wanted to see if anybody had a good spot with a good price to get the ESP.  I did get it on last bike from a recommended dealer here and got a great price, helped sell the bike when I got the new one.  But he was told not to sell them out of state for a while.  I hate paying for something like this anyway but on the last bike ended up having $3000 worth of motor work done on a 2 year old bike with 7000 miles on it.  Im surprised how all over the board the local dealers are on it.  In some cases $1000 difference.  So if you have a dealer that gave you a good price on a 3 yr extension to factory, please let me know as I have until Nov to get it.
Thanks

I live in SoCal but bought my ESP from Jim Palmer (Kutter HD) in WI
It was a pleasure to do business with him plus he beat all the other quotes I had from this area.
JMHO
 8)
HOGMIKE

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 05:04:19 PM »

My ESP expires Sept. 18, 2015. I called on it and they said it was too early to schedule a renewal, but if I called 2 months in advance I would get a discount. So that means I will be calling late June or July. When it happens I will post what my cost is. I paid $1700.00 for the original one which gets me to Sept. 18 2015 and I have way over half my money back on it. Compensator, Fork seal, bad seal in rear shock, and new front tire. Based on Kiro's price in his post I am going to call every dealership in the state of Maine. So far I have only called one, Big Moose Harley Davidson. They quoted me $2629.00 including wheel and tire coverage. Just for the record I called HD customer service and I was told that they don't care if you live in Ca. and buy your coverage in another state. The coverage will still be honored at any Harley Davidson Dealer. If anyone has proof that this is wrong let me know and I will go buy from my local dealer who quoted me $2700.00, but when he found out I was really serious he asked me to come in and we could negotiate the price. Thanks in Advance. CAHDBIKER
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 03:07:24 AM by cahdbiker »

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 22 queries.