Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: battery/electrical issue  (Read 1072 times)

fxsbsefox

battery/electrical issue
« on: July 23, 2015, 08:58:22 AM »

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this problem or has any ideas. In the past couple of weeks I've been having problems starting my bike. I normally keep it plugged in and have no issues starting it fresh off the tender. But if it sits for an hour or so, it cranks, but it takes several attempts to get it to fire. The volt meter drops to around 5 when I'm cranking it. I've also noticed that recently when I'm riding the volt meter reads close to 16. The bike is a '12, so the battery is at least 3 years old. I've heard these new batteries don't last as long as they used to. Or am I just naïve expecting the battery to last longer? Or could it be something completely different? I appreciate your help.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: battery/electrical issue
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 02:14:56 PM »

You need to have the battery load tested.  Any dealership or auto parts store should be able to test it for you.  OR, you can save yourself some time and just replace the battery, because it sounds from your description that your battery is shot.  Voltage when cranking should not drop below 9.6 volts. 

Once you have a good battery in the bike, then I'd check the charging system voltage with a real gauge, not the one on the dash.  Anything over 14.5 volts would indicate an abnormal condition, the voltage regulator spec is 14.3 +/- .2 volts.  If I remember correctly, there were some voltage regulator recalls on some 2012 Touring models, so you might want to check into that as well.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Crimson - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Hard Candy / Smokey Quartz - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2024 FLTRXSTSE Golden White Pearl
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 02:20:49 PM »

I agree with Jerry 100%. FWIW the voltage regulator gauge on my 2011 CVO SG always read on the high side so much I had the dealer check it during a warranty issue and the output was normal.

fxsbsefox

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 02:25:16 PM »

Thank you very much for your replies. I appreciate it.

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 21 queries.