Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Replacement parts for the CVO.  (Read 11208 times)

mrambo4

• Full CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO3: 2015 CVO Street Glide. 2014 CVO Soft tail
Replacement parts for the CVO.
« on: July 27, 2015, 11:28:10 PM »

Okay I had a small mishap on my 2015 Street Glide CVO and layer it down at a slow pace making a corner, the wheel caught in a rut in the road turning my front wheel.  Scratched up the inner and outer fairing, so I decided to completely replace them, I was shocked when My dealer told me I could not keep the takeoff's. So just an FYI. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 12:39:09 AM by mrambo4 »

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Re: Replacement parts for the CVO.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 11:30:34 PM »

Wth? How does the dealer determine that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

mrambo4

• Full CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO3: 2015 CVO Street Glide. 2014 CVO Soft tail
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 12:37:41 AM »

HD states that any special pieces that makes it a CVO is dealer restricted or something like that.  So anything with special CVO painting is restricted, I could not believe it, just wanted to inform the forum in case anyone else gets surprised.

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • SMF Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 01:00:56 AM »

If this isn't warranty work then why do you not own these parts?  You paid for them when you purchased the motorcycle.   :'(
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 08:45:59 AM »

I'm going to go out on a limb, here and suggest that there's been a misunderstanding. Yes, certain CVO pieces are "restricted" which means that you can't order CVO-specific parts without providing a CVO VIN number. The idea being that they don't want you buying the parts to "create your own" CVO clone. The efficacy of that restriction aside, your old parts are YOUR PROPERTY and not the dealer's or MoCo's business.
If you take your bike to the dealer to get the parts installed, that does NOT give them claim to your take-offs.
There are three instances I can think of that WOULD involve the pieces not coming back to you:
 1.) warranty claim (for bad paint or similar) where the faulty bits are proof of defect.
 2.) Insurance claim, in which case the take off parts actually belong to the insurance company...but I'll bet they'd release them to you.
 3.) The item being installed is a rebuilt item and the old one is turned in as a "core".

Otherwise, your parts are your property.
Either there's a miscommunication or someone at the dealer is doing some sort of power play.
Consider this: what if you were going to buy the parts (providing your VIN of course) and install them yourself... would the dealer tell you it was an exchange-only program?

« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 08:48:01 AM by MrSurly »

2010FLHTCUSE5

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 08:47:54 AM »

This is nothing new, they've been doing this for years.  I would strongly suggest that before taking this dealership at their word, you contact the MoCo yourself and discuss this.

The reason for this policy is simple; they don't want people creating faux CVO's by buying the unique parts and putting them on standard models.  It's not only the painted parts, but they often restrict some of the other unique trim pieces as well.  However, in the case of damaged parts, there should be a way to have the dealer verify and attest to Harley that the parts are being purchased to replace damaged parts.  In fact I know there has to be a way for this to be done, since there are plenty of people who have had this experience in the past and who kept their damaged parts.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 08:52:52 AM »

I've not had the opportunity to do this, but I have certainly wondered about buying, say, a spare outer fairing before the paint set becomes obsolete just to save it on the shelf. The implication of the above is that the MoCo will not allow this??

2010FLHTCUSE5

ZVO

• Dark Platimum? That’s Silver and Black
  • Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE - Gone
    • CVO2: 2016 FLHXSE - Gone
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE - Gone
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 09:54:26 AM »

Call the MOCO,

also I have a complete set in Mercury for sale if that helps. No scratches.
The Autumn Wind is a pirate.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 12:51:45 PM »

Just order the parts from an online dealer and they will ship to you with no issues once you provide the VIN. I did that for a rear fender a few years back.

Alien

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 01:36:36 PM »

I have a classified add for a full set of 2000 Screaming Eagle Road Glide parts here on the forum. I still have my original parts on the bike. I bought them from an online dealer and did have to provide my VIN. Nobody asked for my old parts. Get the parts somewhere else.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 01:46:18 PM »

When I wrecked my 04 SEEG they gave me all my parts back......it was nearly a full painted set.   :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

ultrarider123

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 01:50:27 PM »

When I wrecked my 04 SEEG they gave me all my parts back......it was nearly a full painted set.   :nixweiss:

That's just because they luv ya, JC.... ;D

cyco1450

• Elite CVO Member
  • Cheaper to keep her...
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO RG Black Earth/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO SG - sold
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 04:23:40 PM »

I'm going to go out on a limb, here and suggest that there's been a misunderstanding. Yes, certain CVO pieces are "restricted" which means that you can't order CVO-specific parts without providing a CVO VIN number. The idea being that they don't want you buying the parts to "create your own" CVO clone. The efficacy of that restriction aside, your old parts are YOUR PROPERTY and not the dealer's or MoCo's business.
If you take your bike to the dealer to get the parts installed, that does NOT give them claim to your take-offs.
There are three instances I can think of that WOULD involve the pieces not coming back to you:
 1.) warranty claim (for bad paint or similar) where the faulty bits are proof of defect.
 2.) Insurance claim, in which case the take off parts actually belong to the insurance company...but I'll bet they'd release them to you.
 3.) The item being installed is a rebuilt item and the old one is turned in as a "core".

Otherwise, your parts are your property.
Either there's a miscommunication or someone at the dealer is doing some sort of power play.
Consider this: what if you were going to buy the parts (providing your VIN of course) and install them yourself... would the dealer tell you it was an exchange-only program?
at the risk of ridicule, I am a lawyer and this is absolutely correct.  there is also nothing you sign at the time of purchase of a CVO that gives the MoCo that right. the parts are yours.  as long as you prove ownership, they must provide you replacements.  my hunch is that the parts sit in the Dealers basement and come out once a year when they have their "clean out the basement 1/2 price sale"...
2018 CVO RG Black Earth
2007 CVO Springer Amarillo Gold 1 of 398
2003 100th Ann FLSTCI
2001 CVO Switchblade
1999 Dyna WG Zippers 107
1997 Heritage Springer Ol’ Boy
1997 Fat Boy Street Stalker 1 of 1
1993 Heritage Softail Cow Glide #1109
1990 Fat Boy Grey Ghost 1st year
1977 FLH Restomod
1977 XLCR
1971 FX Night Train!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 05:02:44 PM »

at the risk of ridicule, I am a lawyer and this is absolutely correct.  there is also nothing you sign at the time of purchase of a CVO that gives the MoCo that right. the parts are yours.  as long as you prove ownership, they must provide you replacements.  my hunch is that the parts sit in the Dealers basement and come out once a year when they have their "clean out the basement 1/2 price sale"...

I agree (well, probably not about the 1/2 price sale part but with some dealers, who can really say).

The "restricted" parts cannot be sold by a dealer unless he obtains a qualified VIN from the customer.  If the dealer didn't provide such a VIN to Harley, or provided a bogus one, Harley would supposedly fine the dealer.  Somehow that morphed into if the dealer didn't return the original part they would be fined.  I have no idea if that was something Harley told the dealers, or if it's something some dealers made up on their own.  Considering how many guys on this site have in fact received parts without turning in the original leads me to believe the dealer's who claim this are wrong.  Either that, or a bunch of dealers have been hit with fines by H-D and they just absorbed the fines. 

Harley has the right to require warranty parts be returned.  In the case of the painted parts, those are shipped back to the part vendor since they are accountable for the warranty.  They, just like the auto companies, DO NOT have a legal right to require customers to surrender parts that aren't being replaced at Harley expense.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 05:03:12 PM »

That's just because they luv ya, JC.... ;D

I think they just didn't have any room left in the dumpster.  :P
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 24 queries.