Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2001 SERG rough Idle/Stalling/Alarm issue  (Read 2117 times)

frankperk

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

2001 SERG rough Idle/Stalling/Alarm issue
« on: May 14, 2015, 10:00:28 AM »

MY FIRST POST HERE.  Sorry for being long-winded...Trying to be thorough and not waste folks' time.

-----

I've been scouring the boards here for a couple weeks, hesitant to post something new...but I don't see this problem addressed anywhere....so...

2001 SERG is MM injection, of course.  I checked for vacuum leaks...didnt find any...but while it idles GREAT cold....it stalls once it's warm...at nearly every stoplight. 

This may be related, but often when the idle starts dropping, the alarm will chip..or...sometimes...the alarm will actually SOUND with the only way to cancel it being to double-tap the remote.

I replaced the remote battery and of course...I replaced the rechargeable 9v battery in the siren itself (I've heard the chirping in the past from my Ultra...and replacing that battery remediated the issue).

I'm wondering if maybe the low idle is impacting the alarm...I believe there is a circuit that senses power drain...but why would it be active while the cycle is running?

Oh....one other relevant modification:  Factory stereo and CD changer replaced with Sony Marine Audio system.  Ground made through fairing cigarette lighter adapter harness.

Any advice?

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
Re: 2001 SERG rough Idle/Stalling/Alarm issue
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 11:01:25 AM »

First thing, change the spark plug wires and plugs. The way the coil is mounted the wires get abused a lot by the tank. I'm amazed on how often this works on my bike.

kojack

• gearhead!
  • Senior CVO Member
    • NL

• CVO1: 2001 Sceamin eagle road glide (custom)
Re: 2001 SERG rough Idle/Stalling/Alarm issue
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 07:05:03 PM »

grandpadoc,  do you think plug wires may be the cause of my misfire, hestation and crappy throttle response?
Mavericks RC
MFFM