Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bushtec Tires  (Read 5149 times)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
Bushtec Tires
« on: August 16, 2016, 09:14:24 AM »

Well after the trip to Alaska my Bushtec is in need of tires. I have been looking BUT can't find any 6 ply that came stock on the trailer. Bushtec wants 69.00 per tire plus shipping. I'm not ready to pay that for a 3.00-16 tire. The shipping is the deal killer.  I have looked on line and have found several 4 ply tires with a DOT rating. Just wondering what everyone else has done.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
Re: Bushtec Tires
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 09:17:47 AM »

You could always come to Maggie Valley and run over to the factory and pick some up!
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 10:51:20 AM »

There are plenty of dual sport tires out there that will do the trick. I usually send in my rims and have Bustec install tires, bearings, and balance just for peace of mind.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 10:53:35 AM »

Well after the trip to Alaska my Bushtec is in need of tires. I have been looking BUT can't find any 6 ply that came stock on the trailer. Bushtec wants 69.00 per tire plus shipping. I'm not ready to pay that for a 3.00-16 tire. The shipping is the deal killer.  I have looked on line and have found several 4 ply tires with a DOT rating. Just wondering what everyone else has done.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

DAWG there are no 6-ply tires in the correct size available.  Like you I've looked multiple times and learned that Bushtec sources these exclusively for themselves and their requirements.  A couple years ago I needed new tires but Bushtec was out of stock and advised that their annual requirements are quite small in the grand scheme of things and this was causing them some difficulty in procurement.  They did get that resolved and I shipped my wheels to them for new tires and wheel bearings (a couple times actually over 17 years of owning two trailers).  I think this is the best option in the long run as more than one indy tire dealer has told be the Bushtec tires are a b**ch to change, and the wheel bearings are not the most common ID size available.

Or like was said you could go to the factory on way to/from Maggie Valley.  Just my $.02.  Hope this helps.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 10:56:05 AM »

Well after the trip to Alaska my Bushtec is in need of tires. I have been looking BUT can't find any 6 ply that came stock on the trailer. Bushtec wants 69.00 per tire plus shipping. I'm not ready to pay that for a 3.00-16 tire. The shipping is the deal killer. I have looked on line and have found several 4 ply tires with a DOT rating. Just wondering what everyone else has done.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
I was able to get some boxes that custom wheels came in from my local moco dealer.  Packed my Bushtec wheels (with tires installed) and taped the boxes together and shipped via UPS.  Don't recall the actual charge but I don't think it was horiffic.  BTW I've found FedEx ground to be cheaper than UPS or even USPS on larger heaving items sometimes.   :2vrolijk_21:

IBA member # 45520

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 09:02:07 PM »

You could always come to Maggie Valley and run over to the factory and pick some up!

That is the best idea!

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 01:52:46 PM »

That is the best idea!

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB

Busy with BBQ catering. September is ALWAYS a busy month. It sucks but I made the commitment so I'm kinda stuck!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 02:03:47 PM »

A man's gotta eat!   :P
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 07:05:09 PM »

No one offers a 6 ply for the Bushtec wheels as others have stated. You can buy a 4 ply motorcycle front tire in that size and I have in the past. However they are so far inferior to the 6 ply tire I think they wear twice as fast if not more so. I took my wheels to them and waited while they out new tires and tubes on. If you can't get to the factory check when they are at a rally near you maybe they will bring you a set of tires there.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 09:41:30 PM »

I've never looked at a Bushtec tire but you would think the manufacturer would have a serial # or code of manufacturer. There has to be some way to find the company making them. I would think that Bushtec would not be willing to cover all liability in the case of a lawsuit as only the retailer.
But then again Bushtec like all of us needs to make a living and any product with that small of a market is probably going to be relatively expensive.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 10:24:57 PM »

Just my opinion but compared to the very, very high cost of motorcycle tires and their relative short life span I don't consider the Bushtec tire to be all that pricey.  I've pulled my trailers many thousands of miles with absolutely no problem from tires or wheel bearings and have changed them well before their full useful life was over just because I like to be proactive.   :2vrolijk_21: 

IBA member # 45520

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 10:37:41 AM »

Well I went ahead and bought a set straight tread 4 ply tires and mounted them. I already made a trip to Milwaukee for the rally with them. I felt no real difference in the tires. But I had just under 13K on my factory Bushtec tires. They wore very badly in the center on my way home from Alaska. No they were not over inflated. So I will watch these and see how many miles I get out of them. I paid 32.00 per tire with free shipping so if they only last 6K I'm money ahead. Now I need to get the trailer painted to match the bike.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 11:28:33 AM »

Just my opinion but compared to the very, very high cost of motorcycle tires and their relative short life span I don't consider the Bushtec tire to be all that pricey.  I've pulled my trailers many thousands of miles with absolutely no problem from tires or wheel bearings and have changed them well before their full useful life was over just because I like to be proactive.   :2vrolijk_21:

That's been my experience as well.   I can only wish I got as good of service/mileage out of my motorcycle tires!   :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 11:13:51 AM »

They wear very quickly when out of balance. The last set threw the weights and I had to overnight some tires on a trip. Now I use Ride-On TPS Motorcycle Formula and all is well. It would be nice if Bushtec would use standard motorcycle tires that are easily obtainable. I have used dualsport tires on my older Bushtec and had good service out of them.

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 24 queries.