Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Air Shock Replacement  (Read 2425 times)

Garageguy23

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

• CVO1: 2015 Road Glide Ultra FLTRUSE
Air Shock Replacement
« on: September 22, 2016, 01:12:10 PM »

Hello....I have read a lot of posts around replacing my air shocks on my 2015 RG Ultra, but none of them address both of my questions.

First, I want to lower the bike at least 1".  I am 5'9" and can't stand flat footed.  I love the seat, so don't want to replace that.
Second, is it worth the money to purchase a lowered shock since the amount of travel is reduced so much?  Will it be a bumpy ride for my wife?  I was looking at the Progessive 944 or Harley Premium adjustable shocks.
Finally, I ride by myself most of the time but want to have a smooth ride when my wife comes along.  I want to make sure the shocks perform well for both 1up and 2up.

Thanks for any advice or opinions that you have.

ultrarider123

Re: Air Shock Replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 03:13:05 PM »

First off, welcome to the site.  Looks like you joined in February '16 so make sure to go to the new member thread (here's the link) and introduce yourself:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?board=30.0

Now, you can lower your bike removing the stock air shocks and installing the short version of the HD Premium shocks.  The ride will GREATLY improve over the stock air rocks shocks.  Best thing they did for the '17s were to finally do away with those dang air shocks.  Yes, you can spend much more money on Progressive or Ohlins and they do ride great.  However, you can find a good almost new pair of the HD premium shocks for $300 to $400 bucks.  If you end up not liking them, you can resell them and get something else.  I ended up purchasing from a member on the site for $350 shipped...very good investment.

The HD premium are very good shocks.  I found the ride much more controlled with them.  They came stock on my '12 SESG and I replaced the air shocks on my '15 SERGU with the shorter set of HD premium.  Rides better, I ride single, two up and with luggage all the time.  No bumpy riding.  Actually I found even though they were a bit shorter (it works out to just over 3/4" shorter than the stock air shocks) they took the bumps much better with no bottoming out.  I do have them a bit firmer than the manual states but I enjoy it that way.  Your wife will notice a much better ride and you will enjoy the bike both as a single rider and with your spouse.

As for being 5'9" and can't touch flat footed?  Something is off there.  I'm 5'6" and could stand flat footed on my '15 with the stock air shocks (with boots on....and not elevator shoes, either...  :huepfenlol2: ) and stock seat.  Yes it was a stretch but both feet flat.  However, when I lowered it with the premium shocks, it did give me a bit more elbow room on the flat foot department so they should be great for you.

Good luck in whatever direction you go and keep us posted.

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 03:52:46 PM »

Works Performance Shocks Steel Trackers Dual Rate Springs with ARS call them tell them your exact situation and see if they suggest the shock I stated. Flip the lever when riding 2 up on both shocks and your done.

Call them they make the shocks all different lengths, for the weight of the rider and passenger / gear.

As I always state, call them get educated, then you can decide who you want to buy your shocks from.

Garageguy23

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

• CVO1: 2015 Road Glide Ultra FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 01:17:07 PM »

Thanks for the response Haird and FLTRCVO.  Just what I needed to hear.  I'm going with the HD shocks, and wills sell them if I don't like them in the spring.  I had an accident on my bike, so have some extra cash to spend on upgrades.  Going with HD will be easier since that is what the dealer is recommending.  Surprise...a dealer is saying that their parts are the best option  :o

My legs must be shorter than normal...my heels are about 1/4" from being flat on the ground?!?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 01:20:06 PM by Garageguy23 »

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 02:03:57 PM »

Overall height doesn't tell the whole story when it comes to flat footing, the measurement that matters is pants inseam length.  That is why on the threads involving ideal windshield height people list their inseam length in combination to their height since you could have two riders both 5'9" but one has a 30" inseam and the other 33". It shows if one is long in torso and would need a taller shield. In your case too you could thin the front of the seat so you could put your legs closer, use thicker soled boots, or even look at a brand of shocks like Legends with on-board air compressor to change the ride height as needed.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 06:11:03 PM »

It is amazing how much easier it is to reach the ground once you have the front of the seat narrowed. I think this is a better option than taking out suspension travel. IMHO.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 06:35:33 PM »

Mr. Haird, I'm 5'6" as well, your inseam must be more than mine. :nixweiss:

ultrarider123

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 06:55:19 PM »

Mr. Haird, I'm 5'6" as well, your inseam must be more than mine. :nixweiss:
I'm glad something is long on me... :huepfenjump3:

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 07:05:23 PM »

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :o

jc15025

• 2015 CVO FLHXSE
  • Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO FLHXSE
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 07:58:37 AM »

Try LACHOPPER 1" lowering blocks and they work with the air shocks. Also Pro-Action adjustable shocks, they lower bike 3/4".

Hello....I have read a lot of posts around replacing my air shocks on my 2015 RG Ultra, but none of them address both of my questions.

First, I want to lower the bike at least 1".  I am 5'9" and can't stand flat footed.  I love the seat, so don't want to replace that.
Second, is it worth the money to purchase a lowered shock since the amount of travel is reduced so much?  Will it be a bumpy ride for my wife?  I was looking at the Progessive 944 or Harley Premium adjustable shocks.
Finally, I ride by myself most of the time but want to have a smooth ride when my wife comes along.  I want to make sure the shocks perform well for both 1up and 2up.

Thanks for any advice or opinions that you have.

sold a 2005 Softail Deluxe and 1971 GTO  for my new used 2015 FLHXSE

Hogism

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NE

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 03:59:46 PM »

I did the Harley Premium Shocks front and rear on my CVO RG, world of difference for the better, in the ride.
Like others have said, plenty of other manufactures with shocks out there, but since you ride by your self most of the time, the Harley Premiums will do you fine.

I have road on several thousand mile trips, riding two up and fully loaded and the ride was great.

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 25 queries.