Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Primary oil  (Read 3544 times)

Gkup

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 Street Glide
Primary oil
« on: September 24, 2016, 11:46:16 AM »

I just changed the oil in the primary at slightly over 5k miles. The oil seemed grater than the last change. I also noticed a couple of slivers of metal. I've never seen that before. There is always some gray metal paste on the plugs magnet but never pieces of metal. It's a 16 street głide CVO with approx 10k on it. Should I be concerned?

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
Re: Primary oil
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 02:08:21 PM »

I just changed the oil in the primary at slightly over 5k miles. The oil seemed grater than the last change. I also noticed a couple of slivers of metal. I've never seen that before. There is always some gray metal paste on the plugs magnet but never pieces of metal. It's a 16 street głide CVO with approx 10k on it. Should I be concerned?

That's your compensator slowing going away from no oil. Steve makes a hell of of product to get oil to the compensator. www.compensaver.com Grey metal paste  is natural clutch wear, no biggie. I like Redlne V twin primary fluid.  Belray primary fluid is also good.  They both have GL4& GL5  high pressure additives, good for the compensator!

From the factory is had or currently has Harley  Formula Plus in it which is only plain old cheap gear oil with  only a GL1 high pressure additive . . You want to try to get an ample amount of quality oil to lubricate the compensator. Both primary fluids have that additive for the compensator , and the clutch will release easier and cleaner. Make it going into gear and shifting easier. Probably more than you wanted to know..lol Greg     
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 08:25:32 PM »

It says in his BIO it is a CVO. Would have had Syn 3 from the factory, not regular gear oil. I use Redline Primary fluid, no complaints.

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 08:35:08 PM »

FWIW...Formula + for me, more positive clutch engagement, no problems finding neutral
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

no clue

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 11:27:09 PM »

I have Formula + in my primary for many years with out any problems.

Gkup

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 Street Glide
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 08:28:31 AM »

So should I be concerned about this? I just put Harley synthetic oil back in it as that is what Harley recommends. Again I've never seen shards of metal in the oil before on any of my bikes. Should I have the dealer take a look, it's still under warranty. Will using a different fluid extend the compensator life?

mark

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 10:56:22 AM »

So should I be concerned about this? I just put Harley synthetic oil back in it as that is what Harley recommends. Again I've never seen shards of metal in the oil before on any of my bikes. Should I have the dealer take a look, it's still under warranty. Will using a different fluid extend the compensator life?

I'd take what HD recommends with a grain of salt - they're only going to recommend what they sell.  I've always believed they used HD synthetic 20w50 in all three holes because that was the easiest for the factory when assembling.  It's not the type of lubricant in the primary that's causing the problem - it's the design of the primary.  BTW, if you'll use a gear oil in the tranny, rather than 20w50, you'll feel a big difference.   

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 05:41:12 AM »

I'd take what HD recommends with a grain of salt - they're only going to recommend what they sell.  I've always believed they used HD synthetic 20w50 in all three holes because that was the easiest for the factory when assembling.  It's not the type of lubricant in the primary that's causing the problem - it's the design of the primary.  BTW, if you'll use a gear oil in the tranny, rather than 20w50, you'll feel a big difference.   

SIN 3 is just   semi synthetic motor oil with no high pressure additive in it. The compensator has to have oil with a high pressure additive in it. Formula Plus has GL1 only and it's just regular dino oil not a true synthetic lubricant like Redline or Belray. I want a true quality synthetic oil in all three holes.

You've got metal to metal contact there on the compensator  with very little if any oil going to it. HD has know about that since '07  That's why they wear like they do and you have shavings on the drain  plug when you change the primary oil.
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

mark

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 02:34:22 PM »

I really don't think changing lubricant in the primary is going to "save" the compensator.  If so, HD could have avoided a lot of heartache, re-engineering, warranty claims, etc. by changing to a different primary lube when the compensator issue first arose.

With all the posts about compensator failure, I've got to believe failure occurred in bikes running the gamut of primary lubes.   

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 08:01:23 PM »

So should I be concernedf about this? I just put Harley synthetic oil back in it as that is what Harley recommends. Again I've never seen shards of metal in the oil before on any of my bikes. Should I have the dealer take a look, it's still under warranty. Will using a different fluid extend the compensator life?

At 10,000 mile change when I dumped the primary oil my magnet looked like a chia pet. I had issue on hot starts where it would backfire thru the throttle body and I would hear a loud "Thwack"
My dealer was gracious enough to replace the compensator.  I asked for all parts to be returned to me after replacement. I inspected the comp and it was showing signs of wear but it have seen many that where a lot worse.  I would take it to the dealer and see what they say.   I have switched to Redline in both the tranny and the primary and it made a world of difference.
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 25 queries.