Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]  All

Author Topic: The Harley Death Wobble  (Read 51504 times)

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTCUTGSE - Sunset Orange &amp Sunset Black
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver Surfer - 2013 FLHRSE5 Crushed Saphire
Re: The Harley Death Wobble
« Reply #120 on: September 19, 2011, 07:43:44 AM »

I purchased my SERG back in 09 and before I left the dealership, I had a set of Metzeler Marathons installed. I never rode this bike with the stock Dunlops.

Very soon after the purchase I experienced the "tank slapping" at low speeds with hands eased off the bars along with a severe wobble at high speeds deep into high speed corners.

I had the bike into multiple dealerships for service to investigate and resolve. Ultimately one of the service centers claimed the fall off adjustment got it as close it they could get it and there was nothing more they could do...

Following a hunch, I recently had both front and back tires replaced with the stock Dunlops...   and what do you know...  The wobble is gone!  I can quickly release my grip on the bars and they are rock steady... no wobble.  She steers straight as an arrow with no tank slapping...

What a relief!

I wonder... do many folks get stuck troubleshooting this issue because the notion of having to replace the tire(s) is costly along with extremely inconvenient and without knowing with certainty whether or not it will fix the issue... I'm guessing this is the last thing people attempt to fix...   Whether it's poor balancing or a defect in the tire...

All I can say is it worked for me and I'm sorry I waited so long to trust my gut and make the change...   :2vrolijk_21:

BTW, I changed out the Metzelers with 9K miles on 'em.  The rear ME880 was pretty much worn out... however the front looks great; tread depth is barely worn.  If anyone wants the front tire, make me an offer...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 09:32:38 AM by EagleGlider »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #121 on: September 19, 2011, 09:18:36 AM »

BTW, I changed out the Metzelers with 9K miles on 'em.  The rear ME880 was pretty much worn out... however the front looks great; tread depth is barely worn.  If anyone wants the front tire, make me an offer...
Who would want a 'tank-slapper' tire?  :nixweiss: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTCUTGSE - Sunset Orange &amp Sunset Black
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver Surfer - 2013 FLHRSE5 Crushed Saphire
« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2011, 09:28:40 AM »

Who would want a 'tank-slapper' tire?  :nixweiss: spyder

:oops:  You're right!

I guess I was thinking about it possibly being improperly balanced...   But you're right... never mind... the tire will be disposed of today.

Thanks!

Matt

rxbob

« Reply #123 on: October 12, 2011, 01:24:05 PM »

Took mine into the dealer yesterday because of a faint noise and a cyclic vibration that appeared to be coming from the front end.  This was at its worst around 30 MPH.  Tech rode it and said he thought it had to do with adjustment of the fall away. This was going to be checked at the 20K maintenance (had scheduled for Friday anyway).  Guess I will find out later today. :drink:

Cheers
Bob

CVO_in_RI

• Let's Ride

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE
« Reply #124 on: August 22, 2012, 09:52:49 AM »

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #125 on: August 22, 2012, 10:08:06 PM »

I've had my '12 in more than once for the "wobble"... tightened neck bearing.. got better.. but not 100%

Took it back, adjusted again... seemed ok.. just a faint indicator that got progressively worse.

At about 4500 miles I noted feedback in the bars on right sweepers.

At my 5K service I took the bike in and told them the symptoms... told the tech to ride it and where to ride it...

When he came back he called me and asked me: "you were riding it like this?" LOL

The front tire was bad...

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]  All

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 21 queries.