Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What does the FXSTDSE have??  (Read 10468 times)

Friscoraydogg

• 2003 FXSTDSE

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE
What does the FXSTDSE have??
« on: December 07, 2008, 06:11:44 AM »

Always here people talking about what their bikes have as far as set up goes. Such as stage 1 and stage 2 kit, cams, etc. I would like to know what I can tell people if they ask me what mine has. Ive googled and all, but I cant find the answer except the 203 cams.  :nervous: Lets just assume the way it comes set up from the factory as a straight FXSTDSE.

Can anybody help provide this info?

Thanks,
Ray

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
Re: What does the FXSTDSE have??
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 07:08:18 AM »

Lets just assume the way it comes set up from the factory as a straight FXSTDSE.

Then its in STOCK form, the stage1 stage2 that people write about are modfications that people choice to enhance the performance of there bikes,
stage1=air filter, exhaust, ecm remapping
stage 2= stage1 + cams
stage 3= stage 1+2 + head work
stage 4= stage 1+2 +3+ turbo chargers, blowers, nitrous

read up here

http://www.hdtalking.com/harley_davidson_engine_related_issues/972-stage_1_2_3_4_explained.html

Friscoraydogg

• 2003 FXSTDSE

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 09:17:22 PM »

Im a little confused. Aside from all the chrome and other add ons I thought that the Deuce SE model engines were beefed up a bit more than the "stock" non-SE's. The 95" Big Bore Kit is not considered to be a stage kit? The cams I believe are upgraded and I thought the air cleaner (SE high flow) and pipes on the SE's were an upgrade as well. I also though that the ECM download on the SE's were different than stock. Aren't the SE's more than just dressed up stock models?

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 10:47:31 AM »

Aren't the SE's more than just dressed up stock models?

thats exactly what they are, just dressed up stock models. Moco is restricted to what can be put on the roads by EPA regulations. Hence these bikes are now markets unver the CVO banner and not SE. Performance SE parts r labeled as for off road use only! Generally CVO bikes have larger cc motors than stock models, but the larger cc motors end up being more restricted then there lil brothers, as they have to comply to the same regulations. IMHO.

Ur not the only person to be duped by the marketing!

SE-deuced

• "Ride like you're invisible; to many you are...."

• CVO1: 03 FXSTDSE
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 10:40:06 PM »

FriscoRayDog,  Don't let him completely piss in your cornflakes  :nixweiss: The 95" Deuce in 03 has 91 ft lbs torque compared to 85 for the TC 88 in the stock deuce.  The compression ratio is 9.4:1 compared to 8.0:1 in the TC 88. The max sustained RPM (redline) is bumped up to 5500 RPM instead of 5300.  I think the cams are a little more radical than the stock 88 too but I don't have the specs handy.  I know from my own experience that the power curve comes on stronger and higher than the 88 and the idle and off idle characteristics in the lower power band is lumpier.  Less than 3 thou of these bikes were built in 03 and it looks like we are almost neighbors with 2 of em.  Did yours come from Seattle HD?

Friscoraydogg

• 2003 FXSTDSE

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 03:57:02 AM »

Ok...Looking in the 2009 HD catelog on page 504 it shows the (A) [i]"Screamin Eagle Street Legal Big Bore Stage II Kit for EFI Models - 95 cubic Inches"[/i].
Kit features redesigned cast back plate with intergral breather and mounting brackets and an air cleaner element that does not require oilng. This Big Bore kit provides the parts you need to increase the HP of your EFI-equipped model. The kit increases the displacement of your Twin Cam-equipped model from 88 cubic inches (1450cc) to 95 cubic inches (1550cc). includes Stage II (SE-203) cams, cylinders. pistons, clips, air cleaner and breather, high performance clutch spring, hardware and gaskets.

The 2003 FXSTDSE comes with the 1550cc SE 95" Big Bore Kit (w/ 203 cams). I have the VH 2-1 Pro Pipe and the kit comes with the Stage 1 air cleaner .

So the way the catelog reads all I need is the ECM download and I'd be at full Stage II according to ICE6900's post.

Is that correct??

« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 04:03:39 AM by Friscoraydogg »

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 11:42:57 AM »

I'd recommend not wasting your money on the factory EPA restricted tunes. Get a PowerCommander or Race Tunes, and have a custom tune made on the dyno. Make sure you get all of your mods to the intake, exhaust, and any other internal items doen first, as the custom tunes are a little pricy. However, if you want the best of the best, this is the route to go.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Friscoraydogg

• 2003 FXSTDSE

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 01:49:37 PM »

mrmagloo,

Yeah, I havent decided which route I wanna take yet. I have however already got a professional tuner in mind to do the work if I do go for the non factory tune. That wont be until spring though.

So am I right about the question I had?

Ray

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 06:38:25 PM »

Yes, I think so. The brochure for the 2004 wasn't all that detailed, but what I believe it had was the 95" 203 cams, SE legal heads, Stage 1 tunes, and mine at least came with an open airfilter.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 06:47:28 PM »

I had a standard '03 Deuce and recall that the SE Deuce had dual disk brakes on the front and the standard bike only had a single disk.  I'm sure that the idea was that the SE bike was a little hotter performer and needed more braking power.  I just thought I'd mention this as something that wasn't only a cosmetic kind of item.

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 24 queries.