Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Thundermax 309-362 for TBW 2009-2010 touring HD  (Read 10669 times)

jonandflo

Thundermax 309-362 for TBW 2009-2010 touring HD
« on: April 15, 2010, 10:25:46 AM »

As of  Thursday, April 15, 2010 thundermax is shipping the new thundermax 309-362 for throttle by wire touring harleys. They will ship with a base map appropriate for your bike/cam/air intake/exhaust etc. I'll be mounting mine on a 2009 SERG with Vance & Hines power duals and Rush 1 3/4" slip ons. I've been waiting almost a year for this ECU. I hope it works well. If you're interested call Pete 410-579-2828 ext 127 to order.  I've been on the waiting list for a year, and he has to fill the wait list orders first, but you might get lucky. Fuel Moto will have these in about 1 week also.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 02:34:08 PM by jonandflo »

africa al

• Full CVO Member
  • Travel the road less travelled

• CVO1: CVO1 Black & Gold 2015
    • CVO2: CVO 2 Diamond Black & Slate Grey
    • CVO3: CVO 3 Sherwood Green & Aztec Black Road King SE6
Re: Thundermax 309-362 for TBW 2009-2010 touring HD
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 04:12:26 PM »

Hi,

Any update on how you're Thundermax Tuner is performing? I want to purchase one and Install on my 2010 CVO Sreaming Eagle street glide. I already have the V&H True Duals and HO Mufflers ready to go on as well. I live in UK, so hope shipping is not an issue. Any updates would be real helpfull.

Thanks,
Africa Al

jonandflo

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 05:49:28 PM »

I've had the unit on my SERG for a few weeks now, and have encountered zero problems so far. I used the base maps they provided, based on the configuration I provided when ordering, and it has worked well right out of the box. I have more power, by seat of the pants feel, and the engine runs cooler than before. There is less heat from the right side of the motor where that dreaded catalytic convertor was, and my oil temps are a bit lower than before. It took a few miles of riding before the unit had the fuel maps tuned perfectly, but the results are worth it. I have more power at any RPM, and it is just more ridable. It is idling at about 975, which is how the unit was programmed, but when I get a chance I'll hook it up to my laptop and reset the idle to about 850 rpm, assuming I still have good oil pressure at that idle speed. This thing was expensive, but worth the price. I vastly prefer this to any "add-on" tuner that just modifies the stock ECU base maps and requires dyno tuning. Dyno tuning is hard on bikes, and is only as good as the tuner. It is also only ideal for that unique ambient air pressure, temperature, altitude etc. The stock delphi ECU is a fixed base map through most of its operating range, and has very limited auto-tuning at higher throttle conditions only. This unit continuously auto-tunes with wide range oxygen sensors over it's entire throttle/rpm range for any barometric pressure, ambient temperature, fuel quality, altitude etc. I can even change components without retuning.

In short, I'm happy with the unit, and there isn't anything else like it on the market.

africa al

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 02:14:29 AM »

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. What you say sort of confirms what I have been told about this product. I realise this is a expensive product especially for me living in the UK, with the dollar / Pound exchange, but after paying for the bike I want it just right, as standard it feels like a slug!! My next question is after my 1000, mile service which is now due, it will be going to aftermarket dealer for Install etc, If I do  have a warranty issue later on, how easy is it to change back and Install back to standard?  I think that Zippers offer a 3 year warranty on the Thundermax? is that correct. I am looking forward to completing the work, as I am off touring around Switzerland & Austria through the Alps during the summer ( If it ever comes?)

Thanks for the Info,
Africa Al

lonewolf55

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 02:50:40 AM »

How's the fuel mileage?

jonandflo

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 04:03:37 PM »

I haven't really measured the milage with the thundermax. I would continue to use it even if the milage dropped significantly. I ride to enjoy, not to save a few bucks a year at the pump.

The unit can be removed and the original ECU replaced in about 30 minutes. Nothing in the factory wiring harness is modified. You would need to remove the wide range oxygen sensors and replace the HD narrow range ones. The Thundermax ECU, excluding the oxygen sensors, is a plug in exact replacement for the delphi ECU, and can be replaced in about 1 minute. After installing I could probably make the change back to stock for a "factory certified inspection" and then back to Thundermax with minimal effort. All of the work is in the oxygen sensor cables. The thundermax doesn't use the stock cables for their oxygen sensors, and it takes a few minutes to route them and secure them with zip ties.

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 09:46:57 PM »

I have had my thundermax on for a week along with cams and d-d fatcats ,just one word describes my ride now is AWSOME .Fuel mileage is better starts better and bike has 30 hp more than stock ,acr's shut off and starts better than did stock.Heat is gone ride is awsome, throttle acts no different than cable did the thundermax was worth the wait.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 12:03:11 PM by JDOFLHRIDER »

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 03:35:26 PM »

I have had my thundermax on for a week along with cams and d-d fatcats ,just one word describes my ride now is AWSOME .Fuel mileage is better starts better and bike has 30 hp more than stock ,acr's shut off and starts better than did stock.Heat is gone ride is awsome, throttle acts no different than cable did the thundermax was werth the wait.

More more more....

What cams did you use?  Why did you shut off the ACR's?  Any dyno graphs to see?  

The thundermax/autotune maybe my next purchase.  So far I have not seen one bad result with the new ones.

Thanks for the info and keep it coming.

gt

africa al

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 12:41:12 PM »

OK, Thats it my mind is made up. Thundermax it is.

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 05:58:47 PM »

OK, Thats it my mind is made up. Thundermax it is.

Uh Oh hold the phone! The wideband O2 sensors will not fit the 2010 12mm bungs. So you have to buy the 2009 head pipes or weld 18mm bungs to your pipes? (ruining the chrome in the process)

As I have already installed V&H Power Duals it looks like the Thundermax at least the Autotune is off the list?

Decisions, Decisions
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 06:59:51 PM by Wheelsnkeels »
RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 06:38:19 PM »

Uh Oh hold the phone! The wideband O2 sensors will not fit the 2010 12mm bungs. So you have to buy the 2009 head pipes or weld 18mm bungs to your pipes? (ruining the chrome in the process)

As I have already installed V&H Power Duals it looks like the Thundermax at least the Autotune os off the list?

Decisions, Decisions
I ordered d-d fatcats with both sensor bungs installed and both are where they need to be.d-d will do install at no charge ,I think dealers should do that so they only have to stock 1 pipe instead of 2 styles.

jonandflo

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 09:59:35 AM »

So, did Harley change the oxygen sensor bungs on the 2010 models? Great. There was some information about that included in the tundermax installation, but I didn't pay much attention to it since it did't effect my 2009 SERG. I understand they relocated the sensors down near the crossover, about 12" from the exhaust valve. Thundermax wants the wide band oxygen sensors installed up near the exhaust ports like it was on the 2009 models. My V&H power duals included the 2009 style bungs, so installation was easy. Have you asked Zippers or V&H if you can use the 2009 power duals on your 2010 bike? The only reason they changed the bungs was to accomodate the change HD made. I'll bet the 2009 pipes will fit the 2010 bikes without modification, allowing you to use the thundermax.

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 10:46:54 AM »

So, did Harley change the oxygen sensor bungs on the 2010 models? Great. There was some information about that included in the tundermax installation, but I didn't pay much attention to it since it did't effect my 2009 SERG. I understand they relocated the sensors down near the crossover, about 12" from the exhaust valve. Thundermax wants the wide band oxygen sensors installed up near the exhaust ports like it was on the 2009 models. My V&H power duals included the 2009 style bungs, so installation was easy. Have you asked Zippers or V&H if you can use the 2009 power duals on your 2010 bike? The only reason they changed the bungs was to accomodate the change HD made. I'll bet the 2009 pipes will fit the 2010 bikes without modification, allowing you to use the thundermax.

Had I known and ordered the 2009 they would've worked. However already installed the 2010 version the V&H Power duals and they relocate the sensors to the 2009 locations but they are the 12mm 2010 sensors.

For those who want to use this and havent oredered pipes they need to know to get the 2009 version.
RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

jonandflo

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 09:02:25 AM »

Well, I finally got around to measuring milage, but only on one tank of gas, so it may not be very accurate since it's hard to fill the tank to exactly the same level each time. On one tank of 92 octane with a mix of stop light, freeway and country roads I got almost exactly 40 mpg. I hadn't measured the milage with the stock Delphi ECU so I don't know how that compares to the Thundermax.

After about 800 miles with the thundermax I am still quite pleased with the unit. I have experienced zero problems, and the bike runs better than ever. It feels like I need a seventh gear on the freeway which is a definite improvement over the stock ECU and catalytic convertor. After long trips on the highway my oil temps are about 15-20 degrees F cooler than they had been, but still above 200.

My next project is to install the Progressive suspension 31-2501 gas shock fork assembly and a steering damper. Even after the re-torque of the steering head bolt I still have a small wobble at about 30-40 mph. The stock SERG comes with HD's 1" lowering kit installed, and I plan to use the Progressive in the 2" lower position. The steering damper was made for a full size touring bike and I'll need to fabricate some mounts for it, but fortunately I have a knee mill and lathe, so it won't be very hard. I'm hopeful that this new front end will cure any remaining handling issues, but I'm not expecting it to become a Ducati streetfighter. I just want an end to wobbles and better control in corners with bumps.

KODAGRIN

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 BLACK FLHTCU/110
    • CVO2: 2010 TS FLHXSE
    • Porkbelliesmc
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 07:58:35 AM »

I wonder when zippers will offer the thundermax w/autotune with 12mm o2 sensors?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 25 queries.