Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Primary oil change  (Read 3662 times)

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide
Primary oil change
« on: July 22, 2016, 11:12:54 AM »

I have a 2012 Road Glide and want to change the primary oil with the front wheel chocked and the bike upright. If I fill to the bottom lip will I be over filling it enough to have a issue?
FuelMotos exhaust and tuning, Ohlins Front/Rear

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
Re: Primary oil change
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 11:32:52 AM »

If I recall correctly, the primary takes 38 ounces unless you have removed the entire primary cover, then it takes 45 ozs. I'm not sure if the bottom lip is a good indicator, I trust the correct measurement more. You certainly don't want to over fill it as that will cause clutch problems.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 04:16:08 PM »

if you fill to the bottom lip, you will be overfull.

as said above, just go with the 38oz.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 04:28:51 PM »

I have a 2012 Road Glide and want to change the primary oil with the front wheel chocked and the bike upright. If I fill to the bottom lip will I be over filling it enough to have a issue?

Yes.  The clutch isn't supposed to be immersed in oil, it operates in the mist of oil created by the movement of all the various parts in the primary.  Excess oil on the plates will cause them to stick, and a condition known as clutch drag results.

I haven't looked at the shop manual for a late model bike with the A&S clutch to see what Harley says, but on the bikes with the old diaphragm spring the instructions were to fill only until the fluid touches the bottom edge of the spring.  I think on an A&S clutch that doesn't have a diaphragm spring, I'd just fill until the fluid ouches the bottom of the clutch basket.  Or you could check the manual.  Btw, make sure the bike is level side-to-side when doing the fill and level check.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
Clarification on primary level needed....
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 06:11:16 PM »

Clarification........I quart of Amsoil V-twin Primary brings the level up so I can just see the "disc" touching the fluid....OK?

By 'disc'...I mean the lowest circular part of the 'clutch'.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 06:45:52 PM by dayne66 »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 07:12:48 PM »

One quart will not do it. It tells in the owners manual. Check it out.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 07:53:23 PM »

One quart will not do it. It tells in the owners manual. Check it out.
That's what I thought....gonna havta wait 'til t'morrow to get another litre.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 08:04:32 PM »

I believe the manual calls for 38 ounces for a drain and fill change, and 45 ounces for a totally dry primary.  As you can see from those figures, the primary doesn't drain completely.  From what I've heard from several people, they also don't seem to drain consistently.  So I'd still recommend filling with one quart first, then add only what it takes to reach the bottom of the clutch plates or spring.

JMHO - Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 08:20:58 PM »

I believe the manual calls for 38 ounces for a drain and fill change, and 45 ounces for a totally dry primary.  As you can see from those figures, the primary doesn't drain completely.  From what I've heard from several people, they also don't seem to drain consistently.  So I'd still recommend filling with one quart first, then add only what it takes to reach the bottom of the clutch plates or spring.

JMHO - Jerry

Jerry is right...the primary does not drain consistently.   

I just serviced my '03 RK last week and 38oz. (Redline V-Twin Primary Oil) put me just right reaching the bottom of the clutch.  While draining, I also put the bike on the jiffy for a bit and then uprighted for a bit and repeated.  Amazing that more would dribble out upright than on the jiffy.  Sometime back, I took a 4 foot level to see how much slope was on the floor of my garage and found approx. 3/4" slope in that span.  So, whenever I service & doing level-checking, I make sure I have a 3/4" plywood under the downside tire.
"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 12:58:02 AM »

Not saying this is rite... I took the derby cover off before I drained mine on my 16, was its first change at 1k, and it was at the opening when the bike was level on the jack. Only refilled with 1qt.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 10:04:15 AM by fastfreddy »
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 08:50:26 AM »

Not saying this rite... I took the derby cover off before I drained mine on my 16, was its first change at 1k, and it was at the opening when the bike was level on the jack. Only refilled with 1qt.

If that's the way Harley fills all of them at the factory, I can see why many people have clutch drag symptoms with new bikes.  Hard to find neutral, louder than normal clunk going into gear, etc.  I seem to remember a lot of those complaints over the past few years on new bikes.

Jerry

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 09:06:44 AM »

I must be lucky in that I've never given this much thought and just followed the moco specs on all my bikes - 1 qt for the older models and 38 oz on the newer ones.  I always have it upright on a jack because it is so much easier to remover the derby cover and deal with filling.  Never had any problem finding neutral or shifting.  That's my experience and others may differ of course.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 10:07:17 AM »

I should have looked before I drained it...I think there was some clutch drag.....even with clutch in, the bike wanted to move forward a bit...was easy to 'hold back' though.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 09:39:03 PM »

I must be lucky in that I've never given this much thought and just followed the moco specs on all my bikes - 1 qt for the older models and 38 oz on the newer ones.  I always have it upright on a jack because it is so much easier to remover the derby cover and deal with filling.  Never had any problem finding neutral or shifting.  That's my experience and others may differ of course.

X2 - I do exactly the same. I add 38oz everytime. I also drain mine with bike in the Condor so the front is a little higher than the rear. Not saying this is a good way to do it, but it is how I do it.

chicoman

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 07:49:43 AM »

I have a 2007 se ultra, have the first vers of se comp, and have always put in 48 oz at primary refill, as asked it comes close to the lip when standing straight up. No problems with clutch drag or finding neutral. Had to change stator and comp looked real good, so maybe the extra fluid helps that out. Works for me and will continue this way.

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 22 queries.