Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All

Author Topic: US goverment sues HD for screaming eagle tuners  (Read 26260 times)

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Re: US goverment sues HD for screaming eagle tuners
« Reply #105 on: August 30, 2016, 05:15:52 PM »

A few years back I started a lawsuit for a bike that had problems. Their lawyers never even asked for my records to see what was ever done to the bike and if regular service was ever performed. 
Bill

Big Jim

• Almost World Famous!
  • Full CVO Member
  • Keeping it real....
    • WY

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE COBALT BLUE- Traded. What a runner!
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold-Traded
    • CVO3: 2015 FLTRUSE Crushed Sapphire
    • My Facebook! CVO Forum members please add me!
« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2016, 04:23:46 PM »

Anybody know anything about the buyback? I have several of these Tuners that I'd love to let The Motor Company have. I like the utility of the aftermarket Tuners better anyway. I do Hate to see Harley take such a big hit though. I too wonder what the implications are for the future of Harley Tuning.
"To ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth-
This was the ancient law of youth.
Old times are past, old days done;
But the law runs true,
O little son!"

-- Charles T. Davis

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2016, 04:26:12 PM »

Anybody know anything about the buyback? I have several of these Tuners that I'd love to let The Motor Company have. I like the utility of the aftermarket Tuners better anyway. I do Hate to see Harley take such a big hit though. I too wonder what the implications are for the future of Harley Tuning.
They are only buying back dealer stock of the tuners... not end user units (specifics of this are posted earlier in this thread).

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

harleychef2011

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 Road King - Tribal Orange & Galactic Black
PRO Screaming Eagle Tuner Recall/MoCo Fine
« Reply #108 on: October 24, 2016, 08:58:03 PM »

I looked through a few pages in this section and didn't see anything regarding so I apologize if this is a repeat...

Since the EPA fined the MoCo regarding the PRO Screaming Eagle (NOT the Street Tuner)... are we now unable to use them?  I was able to purchase one with my 2014 CVO Road King and changed headers/pipes, etc.  I was thinking to get the bike re-tuned with the existing tuner, but can anyone (dealership or mechanic) legally use these anymore?  Am I better off getting the money from the buy back?

Please do tell...
2014 CVO Road King
V&H Power Duals
V&H Carbon Fiber Tip Pipes
HD Super Tuner & Dyno - 98.7 HP 112.9TQ
RoadTech 665 GPS
Mucho HD Add-Ons!!!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: PRO Screaming Eagle Tuner Recall/MoCo Fine
« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2016, 09:08:57 PM »

I looked through a few pages in this section and didn't see anything regarding so I apologize if this is a repeat...

Since the EPA fined the MoCo regarding the PRO Screaming Eagle (NOT the Street Tuner)... are we now unable to use them?  I was able to purchase one with my 2014 CVO Road King and changed headers/pipes, etc.  I was thinking to get the bike re-tuned with the existing tuner, but can anyone (dealership or mechanic) legally use these anymore?  Am I better off getting the money from the buy back?

Please do tell...
They are only buying back dealer stock of the tuners... not end user units (specifics of this are posted earlier in this thread).

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2016, 09:27:13 PM »

You gotta read the terms of settlement.

Harley paid the Gov't off without admitting any guilt to avoid going the very expensive llitigation route.

What is interesting to me is that these SE Pro tuners were in the "sunset" phase of their useful product life when the fines and recalls were levied.
Then the M8 comes out and quickly skates through the Gov' approval process.
Apparently Harley had already designed and gained Gov't approval of the new tuners. Then they started stocking the dealers with a new tuner which meets Gov't standards.   

Viewing everything together, to me there seems to be far too many coincidences occurring at essentially the same time.

Only Harley and the Gov't know the real story.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2016, 10:16:36 PM »

Since the EPA fined the MoCo regarding the PRO Screaming Eagle (NOT the Street Tuner)... are we now unable to use them?  I was able to purchase one with my 2014 CVO Road King and changed headers/pipes, etc.  I was thinking to get the bike re-tuned with the existing tuner, but can anyone (dealership or mechanic) legally use these anymore?   Am I better off getting the money from the buy back?

Please do tell...

Good question.  I was told it's business as usual, they just don't offer SERT's, moving forward.  If you've got a tuner on your MC, and need work, or a re-tune, bring it in.  It may be akin to the rules and regs I have to abide by, as a legal and licensed Commercial Truck Dealership.  My Techs are Certified to work on Detroit, Mercedes, CAT, and Cummins Diesel Engines, built from the beginning of time, to current day.  Now, if we detect an Engine has had its fuel system, not the exhaust system, and not the air-intake system, modified to the extent it will not comply with EPA emissions, I am bound by law to cease repairs, and to report it to the EPA, immediately, if that particular Engine was, in fact, manufactured to meet those requirements.  I've never had to do that.  We can legally "turn engines up", like from 475 HP, to 565 HP, as long as it has the Cooling, and the Transmission available to handle the upgrade.  It's all done by changing codes in the ECM.  Don't know if that's relevant to this subject, but sort of.  HD just got tied up in the bullchit politics of climate change, pure and simple.  That's that.  I don't have to like it, and I don't, but I have to accept it, 'cause it's the law.  However, those of us who are HP junkies, will always find a way to get a fix.  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD                 
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

harleychef2011

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 Road King - Tribal Orange & Galactic Black
« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2016, 11:42:52 PM »

Good question.  I was told it's business as usual, they just don't offer SERT's, moving forward.  If you've got a tuner on your MC, and need work, or a re-tune, bring it in.  It may be akin to the rules and regs I have to abide by, as a legal and licensed Commercial Truck Dealership.  My Techs are Certified to work on Detroit, Mercedes, CAT, and Cummins Diesel Engines, built from the beginning of time, to current day.  Now, if we detect an Engine has had its fuel system, not the exhaust system, and not the air-intake system, modified to the extent it will not comply with EPA emissions, I am bound by law to cease repairs, and to report it to the EPA, immediately, if that particular Engine was, in fact, manufactured to meet those requirements.  I've never had to do that.  We can legally "turn engines up", like from 475 HP, to 565 HP, as long as it has the Cooling, and the Transmission available to handle the upgrade.  It's all done by changing codes in the ECM.  Don't know if that's relevant to this subject, but sort of.  HD just got tied up in the bullchit politics of climate change, pure and simple.  That's that.  I don't have to like it, and I don't, but I have to accept it, 'cause it's the law.  However, those of us who are HP junkies, will always find a way to get a fix.  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD                 

Makes sense!  Thank you!!
2014 CVO Road King
V&H Power Duals
V&H Carbon Fiber Tip Pipes
HD Super Tuner & Dyno - 98.7 HP 112.9TQ
RoadTech 665 GPS
Mucho HD Add-Ons!!!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 25 queries.