Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24

Author Topic: 113" / 117" Build, Am I headed in the right direction?  (Read 91363 times)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
Re: 113" / 117" Build, Am I headed in the right direction?
« Reply #255 on: July 18, 2016, 10:27:26 AM »

Morning Update;

Figured that I would play with the Snap-On Compression Gauge some more...

Pulled the Plugs on the '05 SEEG, did not pull the A/C (Cable Throttle), hooked up the start button, spun the motor with 3 cranking bursts of about 20 compression strokes each to bring up the oil pressure, checked compression 3x on each Cylinder, 151F & 150R each time...

BTW, the readings were the same whether the Throttle was held open or closed, just took more compression strokes before the needle stopped moving...

Pulled the Plugs on the 117, did not pull A/C, hooked up start button, 3 cranking bursts of about 20 compression strokes each, surely enough for full oil pressure, checked compression 3x on each cylinder... 193F & 191R 

Thinking that these #s are more in line with what this combination 10.4 static, T-Man 625s should crank at  :nixweiss:

Edit; Just got off the phone with T.R. he told me to expect 190-195  :coolblue: So I'm good with the 193 & 191 ;D

Guess the Gauge just needed to be broken in  :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 09:18:01 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #256 on: July 18, 2016, 05:48:11 PM »

Ed,
That is good news, still have to wonder what was up with the gauge.  Have to do some pondering on that when you get up here.

How many CC's did he say your heads were?   
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #257 on: July 19, 2016, 01:09:14 PM »

lifter bleed down is one thing that can cause low readings. It does not matter if you open the blade on a FBW or not it will get there just takes a few more revolutions..
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #258 on: July 20, 2016, 09:28:10 PM »

Ed,
That is good news, still have to wonder what was up with the gauge.  Have to do some pondering on that when you get up here.

I'll be honest with you, I was so happy to have a proper Gauge reading within range, I forgot to ask  :drink:
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #259 on: July 29, 2016, 08:26:58 PM »

Afternoon Update;

The Bike started making a noise soon after the last CCP Check :nervous: :nervous:

Due to time constraints, I threw it into the back of the pick-up to attend the WV GTG...
'Guess that makes me a W.H.O.R.E Member now?? :drink:

Unloaded the Bike and the noise was loud and regular :nervous: :nervous: (was somewhat intermittent before)

"The Ball & Chain" and I rode it 216 miles anyway :nixweiss: the Bike performed flawlessly, delivering 42.5 MPG, Oil Temp / Pressure right on the money but the noise was spoiling the enjoyment... a lot...

The next morning I asked Unbalanced and others to give it a listen on the first start of the day...
What a racket!!! Unbalanced offered his well sorted 131 Pumpkin  :pepper: so we were able to enjoy the wonderful riding that Schrader had planned.
Harry, we are eternally indebted to your kindness!!!

Popular consensus was the S&S Premium Lifters :nervous: :nervous:

I remain hopeful that the 30k mi. <'14 Comp is the culprit, a bad comp is likely to be much less costly than a failed lifter... I can't see a lifter making that much noise, and the Bike still run as well as it is???

Tuesday we took the Bike (in the pick-up) to Oasis Cycles in Brandon, MS ("Yes we are building a piano" earlier in this thread) for a look see...

No matter the issue(s) we are going to the S&S TC3 Pump / Plate, even though the Feuling Pump / Plate is giving good Pressure & Temp #s on the Dakota Digital Gauges, I still have a bad taste from the "fools" poor tech support & lack of customer service...

To be continued...

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 08:28:37 PM by FlaHeatWave »

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #260 on: July 30, 2016, 09:07:24 AM »

Fueling pump and plates have been around for some time with out a doubt , I tend to shy away from them as I have had a few issues here and there and strange things at that. I hope you get it sorted out ..

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #261 on: July 31, 2016, 03:15:28 PM »

Ed,

According to his website, the T-Man CVO Street Performer Heads are -0.003 / 101cc  :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 10:42:46 AM by FlaHeatWave »

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #262 on: August 30, 2016, 04:22:04 PM »

Afternoon Update; 50+k on the Bike, 30+k on the Build.

The Excellent Techs at Oasis Cycles have located the noise(s)...

First off, replaced the 30k mile <'14 SE Compensator with the latest SE Comp along with an Outer Primary Cover with the cast in Oil Deflector. Noise significantly reduced, but still some noise... "Comp was pretty beat up"...

'Hopefully the "updated" SE Comp along with the Oil Deflector will have more service life... 

Replaced the 10k mile S&S Premium Lifters...As Posted previously, 1 or 2 would tap intermittently at startup...  Still some noise...

Inspected the Cam Chest... "All good, Nothing in there that we can attribute the noise to"

'Pulled the T-Man CVO Street Performer Heads...

To be continued...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 04:18:30 PM by FlaHeatWave »

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #263 on: October 31, 2016, 07:31:41 PM »

Afternoon Update; 52,000 on the Bike 31,000 on the Build.

After pulling the Heads, it was determined that the newest noise was Piston Slap from the 4.125 Wiseco Pistons in the Revolution Performance Nikasil Cylinder Kit. Kinda really surprised me as I did not see any scuffing on the Cylinders when I 'scoped them not long ago (was already starting to make the slap noise)?? With the Cylinders in hand, Oasis told me "No scuffing on either the Cylinders or Pistons... The (Piston) Coating is fully intact"... So I'm scratchin' my head... "How do you have Piston Slap without scuffing???" When measured, the clearance was around .006, opened up from the originally installed .001...  Oasis asked me if it was ok to ship the Pistons / Rings / Cylinders to Revolution Performance as Andrew wanted to see them, of course that was ok with me, figured I had nothing to lose...

In the meantime, I wanted to speak with a few of the "gurus" and come to find out that this is not an isolated issue with the 4.125 (and larger) Piston / Ring Packs, no matter who the Manufacturer is, Nikasil or Ductile Iron Cylinders, mostly due to the lack of stability of the tiny Piston Skirts necessitated with Pistons of this size in the TC Engine...

Seems that about 6 months or so after I got the original RP Cylinder Kit, guys like T-Man, RP, Wiseco, and others developed a "fix"... to design a 3mm Oil Ring and Nitride the Oil Rails, thus giving the Piston more stability in the Bore... I was commenting, "1mm don't seem like much :nixweiss:" then Shrader pointed out that it was a 33% difference, 'guess a little can mean a lot...

I was contemplating going with a different Manufacturer's Cylinder Kit, but even the "non Nicasil" folks said they've seen these issues  with Cylinders /Pistons of different manufacture, from what I gather the 3mm Oil Ring is the best "fix" at this time...

After evaluating the Nicasil Cylinder Kit, Revolution and Oasis came up with; "We will re-coat the Nicasil Cylinders and supply the updated 3mm Pistons and Ring Packs, the re-coating is on us, you pay for the Pistons and Labor" the Pistons / Rings really weren't that much, I figured they were passed through at cost..   

I really appreciate the Customer Service of Andrew at Revolution Performance :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: With almost 30k of trouble free, using no oil out of the original Kit (at the last oil change, the Engine used about 1/3 of a qt. before that nada, zip, zilch) I would not have bitched if RP did nothing for me... The outside of the re-coated Cylinders are as new, in fact I had to ask Andrew if they were new and not re-coated, he affirmed that they were my original cylinders, just re-coated, in one of our conversations, TR mentioned that re-coated "seasoned" Cylinders are preferable to new...

When I dropped the Bike off at Oasis, I mentioned changing out the fueling Pump / Plate to the S&S units, the guys at Oasis went through and checked everything,  pressure checked and reinstalled the fueling stuff, disassembled and cleaned the T-Man CVO Street Performer Heads, felt no need to replace anything, "everything looks great!" Cam surfaces, Cam and Primary Tensioner shoes?? "great", I asked if they replaced any lifters? "we cleaned them, they looked fine..."

'Have 1,400 miles since picking the bike up, fuel mileage is very close to before, I know that I've Posted that the bike has been quiet with only an occasional noise with no rhyme or reason, but now the bike has been "Principal's Office" quiet and well mannered, no occasional noises or ticks of any kind, so far...

The short of it... around 30k miles, this Build required Pistons / Rings and a new Compensator, as the miles progress, we will see if the updated Pistons / Rings and the latest & greatest SE Compensator and cast in Oil Deflector have any advantages as to service life...

Thanks again!!
Oasis Cycles of Brandon, MS
Revolution Performance

« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 12:35:06 PM by FlaHeatWave »

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Betsy
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE6 Orange Crush
    • CVO3: 1947 Indian Chief Nanner Puddin HBRR Fastest Side Valve
« Reply #264 on: October 31, 2016, 08:18:54 PM »

Glad they got it sorted out for you Ed.

I like the "Principals Office" quiet reference, never heard that one. I have heard "quiet as a church mouse" I reckon they are about the same....
2014 SERK Orange Crush-Fullsac cores and screens, Decatted Headpipe, TTS Mastertune, Kury 24D, Custom Dynamic Signals, Memphis Fairing, HBRR 117R 123HP/137TQ
2004 SEEG  Huckleberry- 113 HP/115 TQ

Charter Member and National Vice President Hillbilly Rocket Riders
Charter Member and National President CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
National President and Founder of WRENCH We Ride Everywhere Nomatter Cold or Hot
Zen Master of Pondering

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #265 on: October 31, 2016, 08:48:07 PM »

DANG that zux, keep me posted up. hope it holds up  ;)
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #266 on: November 01, 2016, 11:47:22 AM »

PM sent

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #267 on: November 04, 2016, 09:31:18 AM »

Hi Ed.  Sorry to her about the issues.  I'm not following the piston slap without any witness marks.  Especially with the piston skirt coating being intact. But I just ride em, no wrenching. 

Andrew has always worked with me on any issue.  My Nikasil are sitting on a shelf waiting for Lexi to eat the Axtell Kit.  However Lexi is a whole different animal.  Where's that principal's office in case I need to drop her buy?

Ride safe.

JW

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #268 on: November 04, 2016, 11:23:27 AM »

The wiseco piston has a aggressive taper in the design. So you have a very small contact area and when it wears it makes noise with out galling the cylinder.. S&S use's this same type of piston and it will do the very same thing.. Make noise have less than great leak down , but it does not tear things up as if it where too tight and made its own clearance   

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2018 RGU
    • CVO2: 2018 FreeWheeler
    • CVO3: 2007 VRSCX Vrod #328
« Reply #269 on: November 04, 2016, 12:40:18 PM »

Interesting, thank you for the update as my 117in has started using some oil but it has always been noisy. I have the Axtell cylinders and cant remember the what pistons. I have about 28500 on my motor with the same balanced compression check numbers. Gonna have to investigate this option.
Smkblwr
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
2007 V&H PRO Stock Tribute #328 VRod
IBA Member 45500
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 22 queries.