Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Passing Lamps with Brites DIY?  (Read 10460 times)

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
Passing Lamps with Brites DIY?
« on: August 25, 2010, 02:15:54 PM »

I've read a number of different threads on doing the mod that maintains the Passing Lamps when you switch on your highbeams. I also saw a chart someone made up that shows what wires need to be modified.

However, I cannot figure our where exactly to find and access the wires mentioned?? 

Also, I don't want to screw up the garage door opener, and I think I saw a few comments that this mod will disable this?

Can anyone who's done this kindly offer up some tips on getting this done.

Thanks!
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Ferromet

Re: Passing Lamps with Brites DIY?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 07:49:53 PM »

Found this some time ago, I've done it on a couple of my bikes with no probs at all and it's very easy.

HEADLIGHT TRICK

Open the left handlebar switchbox, and free the dimmer switch. There are three wires going to it: blue, yellow, and white. Cut the yellow wire about 3/4" from the switch, and tape or heat-shrink this stub. Now, simply splice the yellow wire onto the blue wire, insulate it, and put it all back together. Be careful not to pinch any wires when you tighten up the switchbox screws. Now when you switch to highbeam both high and low beams will stay on giving you better visability and as long your dash spot switch is turned on your passing lamps will also stay on with either low and high beam too.

Ferromet

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »

Also...

One important thing for those who use their garage door opener. This method will cause you to lose the use of your opener. So if you use this method and still want to use your opener you will need to take off your front fairing and reroute the garage door opener lead into one of the dash toggle switches. The easiest method is to reroute into the horn button from the dimmer switch. Just means you will give a short honk every time you open or close the garage door.     

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 08:03:41 PM »

This thread may help I want spots all the time particularly this post - I want spots all the time Reply #62.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 12:29:52 AM »

Thanks - I saw those but in reading through the entire thread, I could tell if this effected the garage door opener or not?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 01:13:04 AM »

Thanks - I saw those but in reading through the entire thread, I could tell if this effected the garage door opener or not?

Nope.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 11:01:17 AM »

Ok - Then to confirm, I cut the yellow wire in the one loom on the fairing side of the connector. The connector side of the cut yellow wire simply gets sealed, and the fairing side of the cut yellow wire gets connected to blue wire in a loose two wire lead (blue & gray) that should be dangling in there somewhere (not connected to anything?). I'm a little unclear about this two wire lead, but shouldn't be hard to fine I guess, if it's the only blue/gray two wire lead that's not connected to anything.

However, the bottom line is, this method doesn't effect the garage opener, correct?

Thanks alot guys!  I'll hit this when I install my Legend Air Pressure gauge.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 01:34:18 AM »

Hmm, need a little help here. I gave this a whirl tonight and the spots stay on fine, but the garage door opener doesn't work?

I did find the blue and black which was hanging off the loom going to the headlamp. Cut off the connector, and sealed the black. I put a weatherproof connector on the blue with a 6" mated lead. Found the 16 wire connector which was attached to the support easy enough. I cut the solid yellow wire on the back side of the connector, and sealed the connector side. Then I attached the lead to the yellow wire going away from the connector toward the dash.

Tested it and the spots worked with the highs and lows, but never bothered to check the garage door opener until I had it all buttoned up for a test ride. Dumb!

Any ideas why the garage door opener isn't working? I didn't touch anything else so I'm at a loss??

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 11:10:13 AM »

Well, the saga continues. Pulled the fairing last night, and swapped the blue lead from the fender circuit to the other side of the yellow wire, and nada. Obviously both being on the positive side, there was no short concern, but the spots wouldn't work at all. So I connected it back the other way and the spots again worked indepentantly with the low and high beams. However, the Garage Door Opener won't work.

I thought YOU guys above said this route would NOT effect the Garage Door Opener???

So I did some testing. Not that it should make a difference, but I have the HD HID headlamp. So when checking the leads from the Garage Door Opener, the Yellow goes to the Headlamp socket LB Yellow, the White goes to the Headlamp socket HB White, the Black goes to the headlamp socket Grd Black, and the Orange stripped goes to the loose Orange stripped 12v lead that's right there. When testing this all, the Orange is the constant 12v, and the black is obviously the ground. When the spots are wired correctly, the white and yellow alternate power with the dimmer switch. I guess that cycle is the trick that makes the GDO (Garage Door Opener) work.

After doing the Spot 'mod' with the blue to yellow wire, I checked the headlamp socket, and yellow wire now stays hot all the time under LB and HB. Obviously the blue is feeding constant power two the switches and back to the LB yellow at the socket. The white does cycle. So I figured I'd try swapping the GDO white and yellow leads to the socket. Meaning Yellow to white and white to yellow, hoping that only one of the wires is the trigger. No dice. Seems both wires must alernate power to make this thing work. Damn.

So at that point, I do some more reading on the posts listed above, and saw the remark about using the horn circuit, but I'm not sure how that would work unless it had an alternating flip-flop of the 12v for the white and yellow. Seems strange they would create this thing that has two alternating triggers, instead of just one, which then would work with the horn or something else. I just cannot fathom what other circuit I can use that works in this manner?

At the end, seeing I value the Garage Door Opener more than having the spots with the High Beams, I reluctantly restored everything back to stock. That said, I have to say, in closely reviewing the various previous threads, there is an awful lot of contradictions, in what does and doesn't work. In addition, I found many of the posts obviously got brutalized with the forum change, with deleted comments that could have shed some more light on the matter. One guy says the yellow to blue doesn't effect the GDO, the next guy says it does. Everyone says the left handle bar housing route is not compatible, but the HD-Dude switches under the panel route is another toss up - with no real comment one way or the other. Sure would be nice to get some definitive guidance on this so people don't have to hack everything up with a wink and a prayer, and perhaps delete some of the incomplete and confusing older posts? Did everyone just sacrifice the Garage Door Opener, or what was the trick??

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 11:55:34 AM »

On my 05 SEEG, I had no problem getting the spots w/high beams and garage door opener to work.

On my 2010 SEUC with the spot/cruise multi switch, I tried what I did on the 05 and it wouldn't  work properly so I gave up as I couldn't find anything definitive about the spot/cruise multi switch from what I have read on here.

What year bike do you have and model??

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 01:03:50 PM »

It's a 2006 SEUC. In many of the posts I've found here, not only are many pretty old and goofed up from the forum change with empty posts, but very few reference the Garage Door Opener, which is obviously pretty important to me. If I could just figure out how to make that work by separating it from the headlamp/spot circuit, I'd have a solution, as the Blue to Yellow trick does work for the Spots with the highbeams.  Scratching my head here and seems most of the original guys who blazed this trail don't frequent much anymore.   :(

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 05:04:04 PM »

Kind of guessing at this point, no knowledgable electrical type is going to stop by with some ideas to solve this??

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 12:37:47 PM »

Just wanted to bump this thing. It's been a few months and I'd sure like to get this resolved.

Again, the issue is, none of the wiring tips mentioned to allow the Passing Lamps to remain, will allow the garage door opener to work. That's obviously pretty important to me.

Has any one figured this out yet? Is there a way to rewire the garage door opener to a different circuit, so something.  The Passing Lamp with theBright work fine, just the dead garage door opener that I now have to sort out.

Thanks in advance.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 01:08:07 PM »

This works.  It's also simple.  And it can not effect the door opener if you do it right.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 03:22:17 PM »

Hey Twolane,

Thanks for the reply. I saw that, but I can't figure out where I would be finding these wires and making the changes at the right locations?  Are there any photos on where that Orange/Red comes out in the inner fairing area? And, I thought that split in the yellow wire goes to the garage door opener first then to the switch?

If anyone has the photos that highlights the locations that goes along with the schematic, that would be very helpful!

Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 24 queries.