Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil Coolers and heat with the 110  (Read 1851 times)

Road Hog

• Junior CVO Member
  • Living The Dream until the 2008 Stock Market Crash
Oil Coolers and heat with the 110
« on: October 29, 2008, 01:12:03 PM »

You guys are a great source of info, so here is another question concerning the 110.

American Iron mag, last three issues, has articles about oil coolers.  He writes about very high head temps for the 110, rear head gasket blow outs and the detonation that occurs because of this heat, potentially causing a shorter engine life span and performance issues.  The article addresses the adding of an additional oil cooler for a total of two in order to bring the temps down.  (Did the 07/08 heads upgrade address this head gasket problem or was that for amother glitch?)

I ran a single flow cooler on my Road King, now departed, with great success and I still have the cooler because I stripped the bike before I traded it in  on the 09seuc.  With the cooler, synthetic oil and a Power Commander, I was able to drop the oil temp some 30-40 degrees to about 205 degrees as indicated on the dip stick temp gauge.

Has anyone added a second cooler to the 110 and if so, what is your experience with it?

Is raising the fuel / air mixture ratio a better option for addressing heat and engine longevity?  What is the best solution, IYO?

I ride alot in the Southwest so I am apprehensive about this engine's heat in 100 degree weather.

OK guys, show me your stuff.  What you say?

Road Hog

FLHTCUSE4, Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
Re: Oil Coolers and heat with the 110
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 01:24:25 PM »

The best thing to do with the stock cooler is to remove the chrome cover that shrouds the cooler it restrict the flow of air around the cooler.  I removed mine and it dropped my oil temp from the 300's to around 230's even on hot days.  Have done a couple of oil cooler in the front crash bar for some friend on other bikes not 110 motor with good results.  It would be stealthy and give you a second cooler.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

REGGAB

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 10:51:53 PM »

I added a second oil cooler (JAGG) in parallel with the stock oil cooler on my 06.  Definitely ran cooler since it was open all the time.  I don't think the thermostat on the stock cooler ever opened again after I installed the JAGG.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 08:46:05 AM »

I think the whole idea is to run them in series, not parallel, to obtain the highest cooling value.  This wouldn't be necessary if you could find a single cooler big enough to do the job, but as is the case with most things in the Harley world, style tends to trump function.  Can't have ugly stuff hanging out where people might notice it instead of that new fancy non-functional chrome piece.  And unless a person intends to only ride in places where the ambient temperatures never dip below 90°F, a t-stat is still needed.  Oil needs to run in a particular range of temps, and too cool is not much better than too hot. 

One thing I would want to look at when going to a dual cooler arrangement is the overall restriction to oil flow.  If you want the oil to cool the mechanical bits and pieces, it has to flow fast enough to carry that heat away without localized overheating and most importantly it has to be available in the proper volume to lubricate the parts adequately.  The oiling system is designed for a particular viscosity of oil at a certain range of temperatures with a particular flow rate.  Adding mismatched parts without regard for the engines flow requirements isn't a great idea, IMHO.

One thing that still has to be addressed, no matter how many coolers someone cobbles together, is that they don't do squat without constant and adequate air flow.  I'm still looking for someone to market a properly engineered oil cooler with a thermostaticly controlled fan.  Something like that would be worth losing a few "style points".

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

REGGAB

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 10:08:13 AM »

I think the whole idea is to run them in series, not parallel, to obtain the highest cooling value.  This wouldn't be necessary if you could find a single cooler big enough to do the job, but as is the case with most things in the Harley world, style tends to trump function.  Can't have ugly stuff hanging out where people might notice it instead of that new fancy non-functional chrome piece.  And unless a person intends to only ride in places where the ambient temperatures never dip below 90°F, a t-stat is still needed.  Oil needs to run in a particular range of temps, and too cool is not much better than too hot. 

One thing I would want to look at when going to a dual cooler arrangement is the overall restriction to oil flow.  If you want the oil to cool the mechanical bits and pieces, it has to flow fast enough to carry that heat away without localized overheating and most importantly it has to be available in the proper volume to lubricate the parts adequately.  The oiling system is designed for a particular viscosity of oil at a certain range of temperatures with a particular flow rate.  Adding mismatched parts without regard for the engines flow requirements isn't a great idea, IMHO.

One thing that still has to be addressed, no matter how many coolers someone cobbles together, is that they don't do squat without constant and adequate air flow.  I'm still looking for someone to market a properly engineered oil cooler with a thermostaticly controlled fan.  Something like that would be worth losing a few "style points".

Jerry

Jerry,  Concur, but even running in parallel, this past summer it was not uncommon for me to see temps in the 230 range.  Even at those temps, the stock oil cooler felt cool to the touch, which tells me the t-stat was closed...................and probably broken.
All that is changing now.  We'll see what happens when my engine is complete, but I'd like to keep things around 215-220; just enough to boil off any moisture.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 10:46:05 AM »

Jerry,  Concur, but even running in parallel, this past summer it was not uncommon for me to see temps in the 230 range.  Even at those temps, the stock oil cooler felt cool to the touch, which tells me the t-stat was closed...................and probably broken.
All that is changing now.  We'll see what happens when my engine is complete, but I'd like to keep things around 215-220; just enough to boil off any moisture.

You could always convert your crash bar into an oil cooler. I think there was a thread here over a year ago discussing this, which explained all the parts needed to do this. Everyone trying it seemed to be happy with it. It seems like a good idea, but for some reason i can't move myself to try it. Anyone out there using the crash bar oil cooler? Lets hear your testimonials.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 03:13:41 PM by sportygordy »

Road Hog

• Junior CVO Member
  • Living The Dream until the 2008 Stock Market Crash
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 01:13:34 PM »

Great stuff, gentlemen!

I have never thought about running coolers in parallel.  I was thinking coolers in series but I have no resources to determine after the modification what pressure drops and oil flow volumes I would experience nor could I predict what they would be.  That info is not available.  I am surprised that HD put only a small six tier cooler rather than something like Jagg's 10 or 14 tier unit on the bike.  Maybe a style issue. 

An oil cooler won't affect the high head temps which must be addressed with richer a fuel / air mixture, I understand.  It has been also reported that the compression ratio is very low for a 110" at 9.13:1, that ratio coming out of my owner's manual, which may has some bearing on the head temp problem.  I don't know anything about compression ratios and how it affects head temps.

Thanks for your info.

Road Hog
FLHTCUSE4, Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue.

REGGAB

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 11:29:43 PM »

You could always convert your crash bar into an oil cooler. I think there was a thread here over a year ago discussing this, which explained all the parts needed to do this. Everyone trying it seemed to be happy with it. It seems like a good idea, but for some reason i can't move myself to try it. Anyone out there using the crash bar oil cooler? Lets hear your testimonials.

Haven't seen the engine guard as an oil cooler, but I have seen a JAGG setup on Bob Wood's website which runs two JAGGs in series with a thermostat; one on the outside of each down tube.  Also saw it on a yellow RG with a 103cid this summer at Rod's Performance in Hanceville, AL.  Owner said he was really pleased.
I'm thinking that would be a good setup for a 110.

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 25 queries.