Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: How many wear helmets and proper attire in non helmet states  (Read 41898 times)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: How many wear helmets and proper attire in non helmet states
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 02:29:22 PM »

Go for a ride?????????? HAHAHAHAHA!

The story from the Victorville Daily Press:

Motorcyclist crash lands in back seat of van; Driver was unaware

July 21, 2011 5:24 PM

Brooke Edwards

Staff Writer

VICTORVILLE • Deputies and witnesses were left scratching their heads Thursday after a motorcyclist rear-ended a minivan and landed in the back seat unscathed.

Meanwhile, the driver of the van continued making his turn and pulled into his own driveway nearby, completely unaware that he had a new passenger.

“We’re calling this one a non-injury collision with a twist,” Karen Hunt, spokeswoman for the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Victorville station, said, glad the crash had a happy ending.

Authorities got a call at 3:46 p.m. about a motorcycle crashing into a minivan on Village Drive at Rancho Road, Hunt said.

“Then callers started saying, ‘We don’t know where the rider is,’” Hunt said, afraid he’d slid under the vehicle. “That’s when it started to sound ominous.”

After they got to the scene, deputies pieced together the story.

The driver of the minivan was heading north on Village Drive when he slowed down to turn left on Rancho Road. The motorcyclist following behind him didn’t stop in time and crashed into the rear of the van, shattering the van’s window.

By then, the minivan driver had already committed to the turn and pulled onto his driveway less than half a block away, Hunt said, calling out to his wife that he’d just been rear-ended and needed to get back to the scene.

As he turned around, the man discovered the shocked motorcyclist behind him.

Though there was severe damage to the motorcycle and back of the minivan, Hunt said no charges were filed in the case and neither of the men required any medical attention.

“The helmet sustained most of the impact,” Hunt said, with the motorcyclist only asking for an ice pack for one of his hands.

Any questions????

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 02:32:49 PM »

Leather, well over the ankle, lace up riding boots, jeans, full deerskin gloves, full face helmet, and 90% of the time some kind of jacket.  If it gets too hot for at least that stuff, I just don't ride, if given a choice.  If the weather is even slightly cool enough, leather chaps go on, and either my thick leather jacket, or my mesh jacket with armour in the shoulders, elbows, and back.  I will never, ever get on the bike without a helmet, regardless of the state...I value what little thinking ability I have too much.  I prefer not having my wife empty my drool bucket until I'm at least 90.

It literally almost makes me sick to my stomach to see someone on a bike with shorts and flip flops on.

I got enough road rash riding bicycles when I was a kid...I don't like pain, even if I do get good drugs to ease it.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 03:02:01 PM »

I see the shorts and flip flops here alot..and I dont get it...Maybe they are just cruising up and down the beach. 

Boots n jeans/T for me at least. Besides if I rode topless there would be people either sceaming in fear or laughing uncontrollably.

Go out country by me and blood will flow from all the sharp edged bugs..and its cooler not having the sun cook you like bacon.  Ever get sunburn on the tops of your feet, yow!

I have to wear a helmet now because I have to (skull busted), not want to...

But I dont miss the frizzing skull sensation from extended ride sans helmet.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 03:24:29 PM »

99.9% of the time I have a helmet on and wear jeans and gloves when I ride. 98% of the time I am also wearing some type of motorcycle jacket whether it is leather, nylon or mesh or any combination thereof. Last weekend it was 102 degrees here with 83% humidity so a heat index of 115! Kandy and I went to a dealer event that evening and I just wore a short sleeve shirt, 1/2 helmet and jeans. Felt underdressed!

When I see people riding in cutoffs, sandals, sleeveless shirts and no helmets, I just assume they haven't been exposed to a portion of the motorcycle experience.

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 Ultra Classic Ruby Red / Maroon (traded in)
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Mako Fade
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 03:46:42 PM »

FULL GEAR all the time. I enjoy riding and I want to continue as long as I am physically able. And since I can't predict when that bad event might happen, why take an unnecessary risk? However, I do believe that we all should have the freedom to make our own decisions concerning this.
Tom P.

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2011, 03:56:27 PM »

Boots, Jeans, Helmet, Eyewear and a T-shirt.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2011, 04:09:53 PM »

This has been a fun read.  And I don't mean for this to be serious but I do need to point out the irony.
Isn't it funny that scuffing your pumpkin because you chose not to were a helmet seems more tolerable than skinning your knee because you wore shorts vs. jeans?
And for the sleeveless vs the short sleeve t-shirt well...well...ahh never mind.
I am not going to judge. 
I am going to go run an errand on my HD and I am wearing shorts, but I will have a full short sleeve t=shirt on.   :huepfenlol2:

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2011, 04:39:35 PM »

No helmets in Oklahoma for adults (18 & over). 

Therefore, I only wear a helmet to stay warm in the winter.

I ride in shorts every now and then.  It's not for everyone.... you gotta have the legs for it  ;D

Anthem Rider

• Once you get on a Harley, you'll never get off it
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2011, 07:03:07 PM »

This has been a fun read.  And I don't mean for this to be serious but I do need to point out the irony.
Isn't it funny that scuffing your pumpkin because you chose not to were a helmet seems more tolerable than skinning your knee because you wore shorts vs. jeans?
And for the sleeveless vs the short sleeve t-shirt well...well...ahh never mind.
I am not going to judge. 
I am going to go run an errand on my HD and I am wearing shorts, but I will have a full short sleeve t=shirt on.   :huepfenlol2:

I like this - great points. :xyxthumbs:

In AZ, no helmet required. We ride year-round and the summers can get brutal. However, anytime I am on the main roads or Highways, its helmet, Jeans Boots and ey protection. I wear a half shell, so I am vulnerable to all the objects flying. But, it's what I am comfortable with.
2008 CVO Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2011, 11:08:09 PM »

Good leather boots (HD FXRG or Ridge Ultimate 9000's), Held Air Gloves in summer and FXRG's in winter, both full finger, Vanson Mesh with CE Armor in summer, HD Textile with full armor in winter and heavy weight jeans and Shoei Multi-tec full-face helmet, never ride without these combo's, never. Went down @ 50mph in '74 from collision with another bike and have never forgot how that felt. I live in central Florida where it is hot, but sweating always beats roadrash.

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2011, 12:11:12 AM »

It's all gear for me, I've grown to dislike pain and opt for protection, a simple bicycle helmet and motorcycle helmet has save my life, might as well keep the rest protected.   8)  MAT

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2011, 02:56:08 PM »

I like what has been said about freedom to choose and I say ride as you like but you may pay for it. I live 15 minutes from KY and see all the bare heads but keep my helmet on. I was raised on dirt bikes and helmets, gloves and good shoes/boots were are must. I would feel naked without my gear. They won't evev wear a helmet  for warmth in the winter.

Flip flops?? I almost dropped the bike in the driveway after doing a wash due to the poor footing of those things. Little thing like that cheap rubber strap breaking could cause you to dump it a the red light. Boots for me.

Shorts? Tried it at the Outer Banks last year and the sand and heat ate me up, never again.

I do like T-shirts and have a trillion of them with all the Harley propaganda.

The least dressed and the most dressed around here are the young crotch rocket riders, go figure?????

hooligan

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: 09 XB12X Buell Ulysses
    • CVO3: 05 XL883C
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2011, 07:24:59 AM »

Jeans, Gloves, leather zippered riding boots, (don't like laces they can get tangled in pegs and stuff) leather or mesh jacket (depends on which bike I am Riding) always a helmet (half or full face). I do alot of riding in PA...as soon as we cross the state line my buddy peels his helmet off  :nixweiss:
I know a lot of people who ride in shorts flip flops T shirts etc.. "Crazy" I kept warning a girl i work with. Always had to look like the sexy biker chick.. she burned the inside of her leg on the exhaust of her boyfriends bike.Now she wears jeans, go figure
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me

Razor Red
SE Heavy Breather
V & H Slip ons
Power Commander 3 usb
Diamond cut Cylinders and Heads
True Track
Chrome Inner Primary & Tons of Chrome

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011, 04:47:13 PM »

Boots, Jeans, Helmet, Eyewear and a T-shirt.

Eyewear, absolutely! You might survive all your life with no helmet and no injury but it is only a matter of time till you get eye damage, especially with no windshield.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2011, 04:56:49 PM »

Don't ware a helmet much anymore, I wear jeans and riding boots, but don't think jeans offer much protection. Summer when it's hot just ride in a tee shirt, no jacket. I jump on once in a while with sneakers and shorts to go just down the street.

Craig
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 24 queries.