Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Gerbings, I will listen to experience  (Read 14201 times)

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Gerbings, I will listen to experience
« on: November 24, 2013, 07:05:37 AM »

Getting ready to pop for the heated gear. Leaning towards liners all the way. Gloves, Jacket, Pants. I thought this might be the way to go as I could then wear all my old favorite garments. Mistake? Where's JCZ when you need him? Thanks for bringing me up on this topic.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Gerbings, I will listen to experience
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 09:09:37 AM »

Heated gear is simply the best money you will ever spend on motorcycling.

I've had my Gerbing's stuff for about 5 years now.  I run a jacket liner, G3 gloves, Extreme Element overpants, and insoles.  Until very recently I used their dual controller.  I've ridden for hours in temperatures in the mid-teens.  I've ridden for hours in a 40 degree rain.  There's simply no more "too cold to ride".  The stuff has a lifetime warranty, and the Gerbing's brand is available everywhere, meaning you can generally find their stuff when you're out on the road (should that become necessary).

With that said, the Powerlet wireless controller is the shiznit.  It is far and away more convenient, even though it looks like Powerlet went out of their way to make sure you couldn't put the transceiver into a Gerbing's liner pocket.  Similarly, their jacket liner is very nice, and is getting good reviews. 
The best you've had is the best you know.

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 09:29:52 AM »

While the overpants are bulky, I prefer them over the pant liners.  I don't want the heated liner material next to the skin.  When you arrive somewhere and may be inside for a while, it's much easier to remove the overpant and be comfortable.

I use the jacket liner and gloves the most.  Occasionally I'll use the boot insoles.  I sold my heated overpants and have been using a pair of FXRG leather overpants which have been fine to around 35-40.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 09:37:07 AM »

After 40+ years riding Mrs R and I finally decided to try a heated jacket liner. She hasn't got to try hers but I have and I can tell you it feels like taking a warm blanket out of the dryer and wrapping around you. Absolute heaven. I think back of the early years when I would ride in the 20's and take several hours to thaw back out. Now I kick myself for not getting these years ago. I started out with the vest but the material at the shoulders, kind of like sweater type material was to bulky when I put my leather jacket on. I thought it would have been the reverse. Anyway the jacket liner does squish down so it fit under my leather no problem.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 09:56:48 AM »

Jimmy,....

Is there a way we can slow motion your gif videos?

Just asking,.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 10:11:37 AM »

So it is currently 11F outside. I am going for a short ride in one hour just to the office and back. (Less that one hour round trip). I know I will be perfectly warm in my heated gear, only part that will suck is when I stop for gas. (Have to take the gloves off).

I run the HD branded Gerbing stuff. Gloves, jacket liner, and pant liner. This goes under my Aerostich suit and I wear a Schubert C3 Pro. I don't wear the liner direct on my body, always have something in between like long underwear. I think a silk material is recommended but since I am not Hugh Heffner I don't own and silk stuff.

I did install an out let in the left heat shield to plug the gear into and I run the wireless thermostat. I tried many other wiring and control options but this is the one that worked best for me.

Best accessory I ever spent money on.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 10:13:28 AM »

We got our heated gear years before most and have stayed with Gerbing. The jacket liner and gloves have been all we have needed down to temps into the low teens as once your core is warm, the rest follows. Although having their heated over gear would be nice at times, having a removable heated liner is much more versitle as one isn't stuck with the bulky jacket all day. We've also found that for us, just having good protective boots and pants or over pants in combination with the heated liner is sufficient.

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 10:41:50 AM »

Hey FLHTCUSE7 for a silk base layer check out Terramar. They make one for about 30 dollars apiece for the shirt and pants. I dont own any yet but they have great reviews and I will probably get some after Christmas shopping is over and paid for.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 10:55:44 AM »

The Gerbing pants liners didn't work for us.....there's just not enough room under our levis and coveralls or overalls weren't a consideration.

We ended up at the Gerbing booth at the International Motorcycle Show with the Nor Cal group from this forum and a number of us went with the Gerbing eXtreme Element (XE) jacket and pants, boot insoles and gloves.  Best move we ever made. 

They don't have the weight or bulk of leathers (and we all know both are critical on long distance touring) and they also work as rain suits so one less thing we had to pack on our long distance rides.  We rode at 16F temps ( http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=72870.msg1004232#msg1004232 )   and were very comfortable.  You've saw our ride reports of us riding in the snow....temp wise, we were fine and that wasn't an issue for us.    Being lighter weight, you can wear them further into the mid day in comfort....just unzip the pants legs and the jacket and keep moving.

Here's my review... http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=68677.0
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 10:56:28 AM »

Under Armor makes good snug fitting thermal clothing.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 10:58:07 AM »

Forgot to mention....with the eXtreme Element gear, I often just wore a pair of boxers and t-shirt.  No thermals, liners or anything else....they're just that comfortable from really cold to mid 70s (unzipped).
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 11:53:17 AM »

Thanks for all the replys. I'm lucky in that I live bout 70mi from Gerbing Headquarters. Talked to them on the ph and the lady said they usually have the next year stuff out by early Mar if not before. Hope for a 50+ day around then and a ride over (ya hear me Chip?). She said they keep marking last yrs stuff down til its all gone. At least, for sure, I can try on their diff styles.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 12:03:23 PM »

I bought the HD heated jacket liner, pants liner, gloves and sole inserts about a year ago.  They work great and I wear the pants liner over my jeans and under my chaps, which probably doesn't look the greatest, but it does work.  If I were to do it again, I would buy the extreme pants and not the pants liner.  It would be easier to put on and take off.

There is a point to make that the extreme element stuff is 100% waterproof, so if you went that route, it would eliminate the need to also pack a rain suit.  I don't know if your bags are as full as mine just carrying "be prepared" chit.  In fact the more I think about it, I think that I'll sell my jacket and pants liner's and order the new extreme element jacket and pants that are coming out in January.  If anyone is interested in them, send me a pm.

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 01:12:52 PM »

I sold my XE jacket about 2 years ago and stuck with a jacket liner.  While the XE jacket is very nice, it's black, and it doesn't vent.  For commuting, I wanted something more visible than black, and I also wanted something that would adapt to differing weather conditions.  Lugging the XE around when it goes from 30 up to 90 in a few hours is no fun.
The best you've had is the best you know.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 01:18:18 PM »

Hope for a 50+ day around then and a ride over (ya hear me Chip?).

We just got back from Maggie Valley.
They had the snow making machines running wide open.
My phone is waiting for your call.

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.