Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: CVO Deluxe "Sputters" while riding in rain. Stealer says "Normal"  (Read 8113 times)

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLSTNSE
    • CVO3: 2013 FLTRXSE2
CVO Deluxe "Sputters" while riding in rain. Stealer says "Normal"
« on: September 24, 2014, 03:54:13 PM »

Hello All, My wife's bike "sputters" with the onset of a heavy rain.  It only does this when the rain first starts and if she accelerates moderate to hard. (while passing a car for example).  Once she has been riding in the rain for a while, the bike runs good.  She has the stock air cleaner and runs with the rain sock on.  MY CVO RGC runs fine while riding next to her.  The dealer said "thats normal" and the rain socks aren't very good at keeping all the rain out.  I do realize the Deluxe does not have a fairing or lowers but seriously?  She can't ride her bike in the rain without it sputtering??
Is this happening to anyone else? 
Any ideas to resolve it? 
My first thought is blocking the front part of the air cleaner with a piece of plastic where rain is most likely getting in. (Only while its raining of course).

Thanks in advance!
FLH91

johnchalker

• Senior CVO Member
  • The Lord will Fight for you,you need only be Still

• CVO1: flhxse cvo street glide
    • CVO2: Flstnse
Re: CVO Deluxe "Sputters" while riding in rain. Stealer says "Normal"
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 04:28:43 PM »

I rode in torential rain in France and had no problems so I would suggest that there is a problem.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 05:11:21 PM »

Hello All, My wife's bike "sputters" with the onset of a heavy rain.  It only does this when the rain first starts and if she accelerates moderate to hard. (while passing a car for example).  Once she has been riding in the rain for a while, the bike runs good.  She has the stock air cleaner and runs with the rain sock on.  MY CVO RGC runs fine while riding next to her.  The dealer said "thats normal" and the rain socks aren't very good at keeping all the rain out.  I do realize the Deluxe does not have a fairing or lowers but seriously?  She can't ride her bike in the rain without it sputtering??
Any ideas to resolve it? 
My first thought is blocking the front part of the air cleaner with a piece of plastic where rain is most likely getting in. (Only while its raining of course).

Thanks in advance!
FLH91

Utterly ridiculous comment from your dealer.  I'd go back to the dealer and again describe the symptoms.  State the symptoms are a safety issue.  They ask them to put their diagnosis of "it's normal" in writing.  When they won't put this diagnosis in writing, tell them to fix it.  And, contact MOCO customer service.  Again describe the problem as a safety issue.   Ask for their assistance in resolving your issue.  Ask for a case number.  Ask them to contact the dealer.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 09:18:12 PM »

I like the "safety" side of it when working with the dealer.  I'll try it.

senorjeem

• Starting Out
  • Full CVO Member
  • I SURVIVED THE MAYAN END OF DAYS!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 11:39:19 AM »

First problem is that you apparently have the wrong dealer

CVODeluxeHD

• enjoy

• CVO1: 2001 Sportster
    • CVO2: 2014 CV0 Deluxe
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 12:23:44 PM »

I am shocked about the crap some dealers tell. I had 400mls of heavy rain going down to the European Bike Week this year and expected some kind of problem as a result of all the water coming from everywhere. Surprisingly nothing happened even to my buddies bikes a 10 yr. old Springer and two 11yr. old Fat Boys. So whatever your dealer is saying is bullchit...
This is truly a safety issue and must be resolved quickly. The final inspection before delivery for the CVOs seem to be the problem. Whether the dealer reacts or not I think you should write a letter to HD customer service.
Keep us informed...

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 12:29:12 PM »

Utterly ridiculous comment from your dealer.  I'd go back to the dealer and again describe the symptoms.  State the symptoms are a safety issue.  They ask them to put their diagnosis of "it's normal" in writing.  When they won't put this diagnosis in writing, tell them to fix it.  And, contact MOCO customer service.  Again describe the problem as a safety issue.   Ask for their assistance in resolving your issue.  Ask for a case number.  Ask them to contact the dealer.

This---------------^  >:(
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 03:15:25 PM »

Any ideas to resolve it? 

Thanks in advance!
FLH91

My Wife also has a deluxe and we have ridden way to many miles in rain and down pours.....she as not had this problem.  The bike does have an S&S stage 1 air filter.  Not sure if yours is stock or could be an issue is the filter get saturated with rain.

Know this is not much help.

Good Luck

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 03:29:33 PM »

The motorcycle was sold with an exposed element air cleaner, and there is no requirement by H-D that people who buy this type of bike must refrain from riding in the rain.  So IMHO Harley doesn't get a "get out of jail free card" if riding in the rain causes the bike to miss, sputter, or not run correctly.  Even if it was "normal", and I don't believe it occurs in the majority of such bikes and is therefore NOT normal, it isn't acceptable.  The dealership gave you the typical BS answer so many of them do, most likely because they are (pick one or more):
1. Ignorant
2. Lazy
3. Ignorant and Lazy

Take the advice given by several others so far; contact the MoCo Customer Service department, let them know what's going on, and mention that when this occurs it constitutes a safety concern to you and your wife.  Don't accept the same BS response the dealership gave you.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 03:42:45 PM »

Alright, I will be the odd man out here. And this is not about what is normal or what a dealer says, I am only sharing my experience.

With 59k+ of riding on my '11 FLTRUSE, I have ridden in heavy rain on more than one occasion. I did have an experience riding through Missouri of a torrential downpour. I was going uphill and the engine started to sputter and choke out. Not a good feeling with semi-trucks on your tail. I got through it and things got better on more level road and as the rain got lighter. That might have been due to a crappy dyno or just way too much downpour but I know that the ventilator got real wet and I didn't have the hair net on it.

I have never had a reoccurence and I have a proper dyno on the beast now.

DH
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 03:44:47 PM by DesertHOG »

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 05:20:05 PM »

The motorcycle was sold with an exposed element air cleaner, and there is no requirement by H-D that people who buy this type of bike must refrain from riding in the rain.  So IMHO Harley doesn't get a "get out of jail free card" if riding in the rain causes the bike to miss, sputter, or not run correctly.  Even if it was "normal", and I don't believe it occurs in the majority of such bikes and is therefore NOT normal, it isn't acceptableThe dealership gave you the typical BS answer so many of them do, most likely because they are (pick one or more):

1. Ignorant
2. Lazy
3. Ignorant and Lazy

Take the advice given by several others so far; contact the MoCo Customer Service department, let them know what's going on, and mention that when this occurs it constitutes a safety concern to you and your wife.  Don't accept the same BS response the dealership gave you.

Jerry

I'll pick 1, 2 and 3...   :2vrolijk_21:

Dealership service department managers and technicians count on their customers having no mechanical aptitude...  Once questioned by someone who has obvious skills, most of them (except for the most arrogant) fold.  Hopefully if the OP goes back to the dealer and presses the issue, they'll reconsider their position and fix the bike.  But if not, just keep elevating the problem both with the dealership and with the MOCO.  Like faulty ignition switches turning a car off in traffic, a bike stumbling in traffic is most certainly a safety issue.  Someone at high enough level to do something will eventually recognize this and understand the liability.  Especially if you keep pointing it out to them, and especially if the problem is documented with MOCO customer service... Once documented, if your wife suffered an accident because of the problem, I expect you would do well in the legal system.

Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 09:39:28 PM »

Update:  I talked to MoCo customer service and they said almost the same thing.  That the rain socks are not 100% rain proof and this could be a normal condition depending on the rainfall.  The MoCo is paying for the diagnostic fee the dealer was trying to charge me ($95). They also said I should maybe try to take it to a different dealer and see if someone else can figure it out.  Not happy but at least I'm not paying for for zero results.  Still BS…….

FLH91   

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 09:46:33 PM »

Update:  I talked to MoCo customer service and they said almost the same thing.  That the rain socks are not 100% rain proof and this could be a normal condition depending on the rainfall.  The MoCo is paying for the diagnostic fee the dealer was trying to charge me ($95). They also said I should maybe try to take it to a different dealer and see if someone else can figure it out.  Not happy but at least I'm not paying for for zero results.  Still BS…….

FLH91

Man oh man, you got to talk to a real idiot didn't you?  First it's "normal", but if you take it to a different dealer maybe they could "figure it out".  Figure what out?  If it's the way it's supposed to be (normal), then there isn't anything to figure out.

It's easy to see where the dealership guys get some of the BS they throw around.  The MoCo's own idiots spew the same chit.  I would suggest you call again and tell the idiot you want to talk to a manager, but there again who's to say the manager would know anything?

Jerry

I can assure you if a car company was stupid enough to install an exposed element air cleaner sticking out of the hood of a car, and rain caused that car to stumble, hesitate, and maybe even stall, that company would be forced to recall it in a heartbeat as a safety related defect.  The car guys are a lot smarter than the Harley guys, thus they don't do that, but Harley still does stupid stuff just because it's popular in the aftermarket.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 09:50:29 PM by grc »

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 10:02:41 PM »

FLH91

So you say to the idiot customer service representative..

The motor stumbling while riding in the rain is a safety issue.  Are you stating it is normal for the motor to stumble while riding in the rain?

Are you stating that if there were 20 bikes just like mine riding with me in the same rain, we all would suffer the problem of the motor stumbling?

Are you stating it is not safe to ride my motorcycle while it is raining?

When he says it probably only stumbles in some types of rain, you ask...

Please define what type of rain I am not supposed to ride in so I don't put my wife at risk of having her bike's motor stumble in traffic.

If I am on a trip and it rains and the bike starts to stumble, are you suggesting I get a room for the night, or possibly several nights, until it stops raining?

You see, it's a fairly ridiculous conversation...

I'd probably cut to the chase fairly quickly and ask for a definitive answer as to whether or not my bike is safe to ride in the rain (without stumbling) or not.  And if they said it's not safe to ride in some types of rain, I'd tell them I'll be informing the appropriate federal authorities of their position.  Cause if my bike is not safe to ride in the rain, there are a whole bunch of other bikes on the road that are also not safe to ride in the rain...

Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

dynafatbob

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 01:49:48 AM »

if you take the sock off the ventilator and just trickle water over it, you will see how none effective it is, in rain going at speed...I have a black stocking underneath my Harley sock, the mesh is a lot more none porous than the Harley sock, but with both on, I have had no further problems in the rain,,,, just for info...  :)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 08:41:17 AM »

if you take the sock off the ventilator and just trickle water over it, you will see how none effective it is, in rain going at speed...I have a black stocking underneath my Harley sock, the mesh is a lot more none porous than the Harley sock, but with both on, I have had no further problems in the rain,,,, just for info...  :)

Adding more layers of restrictive material might help keep excess water out, but there is no free lunch.  It will also reduce airflow.  The bike will still run OK thanks to modern closed loop engine management (up to a point that is), but the supposed high flow of the air cleaner is negated.  At that point, it makes more sense to just throw the exposed element air cleaner in the used part bin and install an air cleaner with an effective cover.  IMHO that's exactly what Harley should have done in the first place.  These are street bikes, not race bikes that are never ridden in the rain. 

Jerry

sroberds1

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 02:23:38 PM »

If you can't resolve it, try a K&N filter,  the pleats are oil sprayed and will resist the water penetration, plus you can clean them, re spray them and use it forever. I used a K&N on my velocity stack that went through the hood of my car with an open front facing hood scoop, and I never had an issue, yes I had a cover to put on and I did use it but I did get caught in heavy rain with no chance to put it on and never had a problem.

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 03:59:33 PM »

I have ridden my 13 CVO Ultra in a lot of rain and I have never installed the so called "rain Sock" by the time I think of it the rain has stopped! That being said I have never had a stutter or stumble either!

Lars

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, "IT'S THE RIDE"

• CVO1: 2013 SEUC8
    • CVO2: 1983 Shovelhead "Ole Black Betty"
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 09:23:54 PM »

When on the return ride from the 110th Anniversary, a buddy rode his '12 soft tail and I rode my '13 SEUC, one whole day in off and on torrential downpour rain without the socks, and neither bike missed a beat, thank God.
I agree the dealer is an idiot.
With old age has come the wisdom to embrace my immaturity.

Lars

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 01:06:30 PM »

I have ridden mine in some very hard rain for about an hour and she never stumbled or did anything but what I asked of her. I put the sock on one time only because I was starting out in the rain. All the others were sock less. My 2010 Ultra was the same way no issues.   
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 24 queries.