Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Modular helment  (Read 32247 times)

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Road Glide Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 Titanium/Black FLHRSE6
Re: Modular helment
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2014, 01:07:50 PM »

Switched to a Nolan N104 a couple of years ago and really like it.

X2  :2vrolijk_21:

I tried the C3 and it did fit me properly. The N104 was best for my melon!

kmh364

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2014, 03:07:17 PM »

Try webbikeworld.com for a comprehensive guide and reviews of all helmets, Modulars included.

I have an HJC IS-Max BT, HJC Sy-Max II, HJC-Symax III Hi-Viz and a Shoei Neotech, in order of cost. They're all good, HJC being the loss-leader as far as pricing goes. They're not the quietest, but the best combination of quality and bang for the buck, IMHO. The Neotech is simply top-shelf in every way. Very pricy, but cheap compared to the Shuberth C-3 and C-3pro.

FWIW, the Star Wars Storm Trooper styling, the claustrophobic fit, and stratospheric pricing disuaded me from purchasing a Shuberth. If it fits you and your wallet, however, it'd be hard to beat the new Shuberth for quality and low wind noise.

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2014, 03:13:31 PM »

I really do not want to spend that kind of money either. I thought the Noetech would work and it was high. But the bigest size was really snug. Local guys have a CP-3 Pro in a 2 xl that I'm going to try. Man it is high.

BigLew

kmh364

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2014, 10:07:47 AM »

Wow! If the Shoei Neotech was tight, I can't imagine the Shuberth C-3 or C-3 Pro is going to be roomier! The Shoei swims compared to the Shuberth, IMHO. Having said that, the more expensive helmets do offer the luxury of multiple shell sizes, so you may get lucky.

Try Webbikeworld.com, their helmet reviews are hard to beat, and they do pay particular attention to shell size and or fit, especially for hard-to-fit individuals.

Good luck!

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2014, 10:48:27 AM »

Thinking I might just paint my head!

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2014, 03:43:55 PM »

Shoei Neotech for me.
It meets (exceeds) your criteria, and you didn't include price as a consideration.

X2 on the Neotech  ;D
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2014, 03:55:17 PM »

I really do not want to spend that kind of money either. I thought the Noetech would work and it was high. But the biggest size was really snug. Local guys have a CP-3 Pro in a 2 xl that I'm going to try. Man it is high.

BigLew

Note that the Shoei has changeable cheek pads. I found that their XL was too tight for my prodigious jowls but a swap to their thinner cheek pads fixed me right up. I had waited quite a while to make this helmet upgrade because no one local to me has any selection. As soon as I had a trip to a city with a Cycle gear (Austin) I was able to try some on and also able to get them to swap the cheek pads at no cost. A year and 15000 miles in it and if it needed to be replaced today I would unhesitatingly order another just like it.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 04:00:11 PM by MrSurly »
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2014, 04:22:07 PM »

like the Neotech and can wear the 2xl until I try to close the facebar. Need to take the cheek pads out. I look like a chipmunk trying to wear this helment.

BigLew

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2014, 05:10:56 PM »

I was similar with the XL, then swapped the cheek pads to the thinnest (#31???) and that worked for me. You might check the number/range to see if  a thinner set is available. I think the XXL already comes with the thinnest pad.
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2014, 05:18:14 PM »

I was similar with the XL, then swapped the cheek pads to the thinnest (#31???) and that worked for me. You might check the number/range to see if  a thinner set is available. I think the XXL already comes with the thinnest pad.
Yep I think you are correct. I hate to spend that much on a helment and then start craving it up so it will fit. I've done it before but not on something I would spend this much on!

kmh364

• Junior CVO Member

Modular helment
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2014, 02:53:28 PM »

I'm not hard to fit...usually a L does it for me in just about any helmet. The Schubert C-3 required you tuck your chin under the chin curtain in order to close it. Talk about claustrophobia! I though conventional wisdom had the chin bar quite a distance away in order to allow it to deform and not have your jaw/mouth/chin contact it during a face plant. While Schuberth is known for safety, I imagine the close-fit was motivated more by a desire to be the quietest helmet versus providing the ultimate in lower face protection. I would hope those criteria are not mutually exclusive  especially given the stratospheric price points the C-3 and C-3 Pro are positioned at!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 02:56:01 PM by kmh364 »

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2014, 03:25:13 PM »

Well stated!!

BigLew

kmh364

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2014, 05:56:03 AM »

Thanks!

Not sure, but CYCLE GEAR may have the SHOEI cheek pads, as well as other OEM  replacement parts, in stock.
In that case, you could try before you buy.
I have a retail store near me and they are one of the biggest SHOEI retailers. I get a nice MSF discount from them as well, which doesn't hurt!

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2014, 08:56:00 AM »

Went ahead and ordered a Lazer Monaco Carbon Modular.  VERY lightweight.  Followed the direction from the sales guys at Revzilla for fit and they were right on.  Ordered a large and ended up changing the cheek pads to an XL.  If you ask, they will send you a return tag for free return shipping - for another size or just to return if if you don't like it.  Good fit, good visibility, comes with a transitions shield.  $499 shipped with no tax.  I'm gonna keep it.

Chris
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 FLHTCUSE5, FullSac Xpipe, 2",TTS, 8 speaker HogTunes!
    • CVO2: WO's Chubby 578, Road Tech Zumo 660
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2014, 11:01:48 AM »

Hey Big Lew
I too just came off a road trip that included my share of rain.  My Bell Mag9 is a cool helmet with Bluetooth but Colorado is normal pretty dry with thunderstorms so I removed the face shield because it has the retractable sun visor but I got caught in a big monsoon and my glasses and that visor were no match for that kind of water.  I saw a guy at the PNW Rally with a modular helmet it looked cool but now I would like to ask that dude about it in the rain.
Keep us updated with your search
Thanks
I was so much Older then....I am younger than that Now.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 24 queries.