Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 2015 CVO soft clear coat  (Read 7163 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: 2015 CVO soft clear coat
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2015, 08:57:28 AM »

Well I made it into the dealer and they said they want to put a "CILAJET" coating on my SG. they said it will protect the paint and will not scratch anymore.

So I wanted to see if anybody has heard of cilajet and if anybody has had this stuff applied to their Harley? Should I allow them to apply cilajet to my new Harley?

Tell your dealer to take his bogus "paint protectant" and put it where the sun don't shine, and don't let them fool you into doing this.  It's just an overpriced sealant like so many others on the market.  You don't need a sealant, you need properly cured paint. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

G-Man

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NV

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2015, 09:24:45 AM »

Thank you for the input, that is was I was thinking myself. If the clear coat was done right than I shouldn't need any additional coating applied.

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2015, 12:51:12 PM »

Thanks to everyone for the replies, and yes Irubio it sounds like HighOnHD is having the same problem I am with the clear coat. I thought I was getting a good deal when I paid 2000 under MSRP,I would have paid the full price if I didn't have to deal with this issue. I will keep you all posted on what the dealer says when I make it in to see them. Does anyone know if I can just have a harder clear sprayed over the soft clear on thebike our does it all have to be removed first?

Thanks!
Sorry you are dealing with this. I know exactly how it feels. I agree with Jerry's advice regarding the sealant offer.
When I was confronted with this issue I decided to research all of my options and obtain as much information regarding the problem I could. This included (surprisingly to me) a rather lengthy email exchange between Gunslinger and myself.

After becoming a little better educated in this regard I made the decision to do what I could regarding paint buffing and sealant, and if after a year I was still not satisfied I would pay to have the bike prepped and resprayed with the harder compatible clear that Gunslinger's lead painter recommended... DCU400. 

I have reported on all my experiences regarding this in several threads including this one. As it stands, I do not need to wait until I have had the bike for a year ( the supposed amount of time in which it will have peaked in clear coat hardness ) to decide whether or not I will need to have it resprayed. As mentioned in an earlier post above my clear coat has hardened enough already that it is acceptable to me.

I decided to operate under the old saying "If you want it done right, then do it yourself." I just took charge and dealt with it. I KNOW that no one else is going to take the time to do it for me, or at least care about it as much as I do.

Hope this information helps you come to a satisfactory conclusion with yours.

Gerhard

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 09:25:14 AM »

Hi All, I´m planning to order a CVO Streetglide and this clear-topic doesn´t encourage me much  :(
What I don´t understand: Why is this matter only with HD CVO? I never heard from any car-brand about problems with clear - not even my italian Ducati shows this ...
G.
------------------------------------------------------
2018 BMW R nineT Urban G/S
2016 CVO Street Glide Black Licorice with Midnight Cobalt Flames >>> lemonized
2004 Ducati 998sFinal Edition Rosso Anniversario
2002 Triumph Speed Triple Black (sold)
1999 BMW R1100S Silver/Yellow Custom Paint (sold)
1994 BMW Funduro 650 Black (sold)

skycat

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: Silver/Black 2015 Street Glide.
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2015, 05:58:04 PM »

My HC is fine though its probably the color. It seems to be a dark color issue.
My bike is only a week old so its a last build maybe the clear is harder ??? on the newer bikes.
I am very happy with my purchase and would recommend a CVO all day long. the HC is awesome  :2vrolijk_21:
2015 CVO Street Glide, not as good as it should be, Working on that it just needs time, like a good wine.
2010 Buell 1125R, my favorite blaster.
2003 Harley FXDL 100th Anniversary, a little gem.
1975 Suzuki RE5 Rotary 1200km as new.
2012 Suzuki GSX1250FA the perfect Hack. Awesome Bike
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 24 queries.