Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: 09 FLTRSE3 Dyno Results  (Read 65957 times)

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SE Road Glide
09 FLTRSE3 Dyno Results
« on: September 17, 2008, 04:54:50 PM »

I did a dyno run on my bike today.  I wanted to establish an initial baseline before making any performance modifications.  It is 100% stock with about 750 miles on it. 

And the disappointing results are:
Max Horsepower: 78.9
Max Torque: 93.7

We did three runs on the bike with the first one being the best. These bikes are restricted big time.  The rev limiter cuts out at 5500 RPM and the exhaust and cc take the bike to its knees.   Freaking pathetic!  These are CVO SE machines for goodness sake.  What's up with that? 

Clearly the SERG's are pay to play machines.  The power is hiding in there, but to get top performance out of it we're going to have to open our checkbooks. 

Here's the graph...

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: 09 FLTRSE3 Dyno Results
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 05:31:28 PM »

I did a dyno run on my bike today.  I wanted to establish an initial baseline before making any performance modifications.  It is 100% stock with about 750 miles on it. 

We did three runs on the bike with the first one being the best. These bikes are restricted big time.  The rev limiter cuts out at 5500 RPM and the exhaust and cc take the bike to its knees.   Freaking pathetic!  These are CVO SE machines for goodness sake.  What's up with that? 

Clearly the SERG's are pay to play machines.  The power is hiding in there, but to get top performance out of it we're going to have to open our checkbooks. 

Here's the graph...

Yeap, always was. These are EPA approved machines, not performance machines. They should go back to calling em CVO's and not SE's! And check out the way those crappy 255 cams drop your TQ curve like lead at 4500. Don't bother taking it much above that. Useless and futile. The stock configuration rides best "short-shifting" between 3000-4500 RPM. Stay in that range and ya can still have some fun with it! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

customryder

• Senior CVO Member
  • I'LL be your Huckelberry.

• CVO1: fxr4 2000 orange
    • CVO2: flhtcse 2004 blue/black
    • CVO3: CVO3 2005 elecrta glide CVO4 2009 roaglide CVO5 2012 roadglide skunk CVO6 2013 cvo roadglide atomic orange
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 05:44:35 PM »

are the cats in the tail pipe or header?
2009 cvo road glide...2007 streetglide...................... cvo member #513
2009 f-350 Harley edt.

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 05:47:21 PM »

Yeap, always was. These are EPA approved machines, not performance machines. They should go back to calling em CVO's and not SE's! And check out the way those crappy 255 cams drop your TQ curve like lead at 4500. Don't bother taking it much above that. Useless and futile. The stock configuration rides best "short-shifting" between 3000-4500 RPM. Stay in that range and ya can still have some fun with it! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Funny that you mention that...I had a salesman correct me a few weeks ago, he said "they dont refer to these bikes as Screamin' Eagle, they are called CVO now".

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 05:47:49 PM »

Hoist! 8)

Will 251's wake it up with out other mods? Looking for bolt in power, maybe cams and exhaust..Greg  
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 05:49:44 PM »

Funny that you mention that...I had a salesman correct me a few weeks ago, he said "they dont refer to these bikes as Screamin' Eagle, they are called CVO now".

That's why there's a SE logo splattered all over the front of the SERG fairing! Don't ya know, they jusy make chit up as they go! Deaslers are FOS!!! FTD!!! ::) ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 05:57:48 PM »

are the cats in the tail pipe or header?

Unfortunately the cats are in the header where they combine into one. 

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 05:58:23 PM »

Have we not already?  Thanks for the report, Jim!  I would tend to blame the EPA as much as HD.  I've thought all along we'll need Cams, Super SERT and Pipes. Patience is not one of my virtues.... Done a lot of reading and had success w/ 257 cams in the 103" motor.  Don't want to get too loud as well.  Thanks for being a pioneer here!  

Greg

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 06:21:43 PM »

Have we not already?  Thanks for the report, Jim!  I would tend to blame the EPA as much as HD.  I've thought all along we'll need Cams, Super SERT and Pipes. Patience is not one of my virtues.... Done a lot of reading and had success w/ 257 cams in the 103" motor.  Don't want to get too loud as well.  Thanks for being a pioneer here!

Yep, exhaust, cams and a race tuner are a must have with these bikes.  Pulling the cat or changing the headers will probably be on the list as well.  Thank you EPA! 

Time to talk about engine mods...  What should we do to wake this sleeping giant up?   

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 06:23:17 PM »

Will 251's wake it up with out other mods? Looking for bolt in power, maybe cams and exhaust..Greg  

Sure will Greg. You can get away with 251's, pipes and open A/C and a good tune. The other stuff helps it do better though. But this is a decent bolt in cam with a larger TB, which you already have on an '08 & '09. ;)

Hoist! 8)

customryder

• Senior CVO Member
  • I'LL be your Huckelberry.

• CVO1: fxr4 2000 orange
    • CVO2: flhtcse 2004 blue/black
    • CVO3: CVO3 2005 elecrta glide CVO4 2009 roaglide CVO5 2012 roadglide skunk CVO6 2013 cvo roadglide atomic orange
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 07:21:50 PM »

is it possible to cut out the cat? maybe weld in a stright pipe?  I like the looks of the factory exhaust & not crazy about spending 700+ for exhaust..

Just for giggles i took off the breather & the bike did seem faster...
2009 cvo road glide...2007 streetglide...................... cvo member #513
2009 f-350 Harley edt.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 07:25:57 PM »

Open up the intake and exhaust, and you guys better be getting a tune to go along with it! Matter of fact, Personally, I'd do the tune even with a stocker! Stock is way too lean!!! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 07:54:22 PM »

That's why there's a SE logo splattered all over the front of the SERG fairing! Don't ya know, they jusy make chit up as they go! Deaslers are FOS!!! FTD!!! ::) ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

My dealer said the same thing after coming back from the show in Las Vegas.  I posted about it somewhere here.  They want to begin down-playing the Screamin' Eagle name and start making the CVO name more prominent.  Who knows the reason?  Might have something to do with their agreement with the EPA? :nixweiss:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 08:06:45 PM »

That's got to be disheartening.  110 cubic inches and less than 80 hp.  Not even 95 ft pds of torque.  The little 95" motor in the old 2000 SERG is internally stock and sees better curves with about 17% smaller displacement.

It's unfortunate you've got to put some cash in to the engine to make the bike perform even close to what the looks of the package suggests is expected.  At least everyone knows how to proceed though.  Good luck with it and will look forward to the "after" reports when you've got it where you want it.

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 09:58:42 PM »

:-X

Thanks for the info Jim, I installed the Fullsac cores this eve and have ordered a SERT. I should get it tuned in the next few weeks now that the 2" cores are installed. I will take a couple of air boxes with me and try each out on the dyno, see what works and what doesn't

I have seen those numbers before, might have been in the accessory catalog, dunno for sure. Yes it knocked the wind out of my sails.

It will just take some more work and .... well   $$$.
The impossible just takes a little longer
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 24 queries.