Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: New CVO Streetglide: Auxiliary lights or not?  (Read 23630 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: New CVO Streetglide: Auxiliary lights or not?
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2014, 08:42:45 AM »

Hey you old guys need all the extra light you can get.  :bananarock:

;D    Don't get too cocky, whippersnapper.  After 40, the years move by more and more rapidly.  It will seem like just yesterday, and suddenly you'll find you're an old fart too.

Jerry  ;)

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2014, 08:49:55 AM »

;D    Don't get too cocky, whippersnapper.  After 40, the years move by more and more rapidly.  It will seem like just yesterday, and suddenly you'll find you're an old fart too.

Jerry  ;)
Haha! Well, until then it's no auxiliary lights for me!

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2014, 08:57:17 AM »

Jerry  ;)

And there is a reason that people have reached that more mature age. They were smart enough to know that riding and being seen isn't about being a poser it's about staying alive. Alive with three lights trumps the alternative. Also wearing a helmet increases the odds of reaching that age where wisdom over rides looking cool!
To get back on topic, the OP has decided to run the three lights. His bike, his decision and a good one at that!

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2014, 09:03:09 AM »

And there is a reason that people have reached that more mature age. They were smart enough to know that riding and being seen isn't about being a poser it's about staying alive. Alive with three lights trumps the alternative. Also wearing a helmet increases the odds of reaching that age where wisdom over rides looking cool!
To get back on topic, the OP has decided to run the three lights. His bike, his decision and a good one at that!

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB

Shouldn't you be eating?

I find it ironic that a guy that can't have the discipline to take care of his personal health through exercise and proper diet has the gall to give out safety advice.

At least when you stroke out you'll have extra lights and a helmet smart guy!

Jesse
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 09:07:40 AM by Jswerve »

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2014, 09:27:43 AM »

Hey why can't we all get along?........  :huepfenlol2:

Just my .02 but the Motolight is the best compromise for those looking for increased visibility but not hurt the "looking cool" image.
http://www.motolight.com/motorcycle-lights

(FYI their website says they offer 10% off to veteran military, police and fire personnel still)

To paraphrase an old saying about pilots :
You have old bikers and bold bikers but you don't have too many old bold bikers.... :huepfenlol2:

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2014, 09:34:21 AM »

Just my .02 but the Motolight is the best compromise for those looking for increased visibility but not hurt the "looking cool" image.

(FYI their website says they offer 10% off to veteran military, police and fire personnel still)

You have old bikers and bold bikers but you don't have too many old bold bikers.... :huepfenlol2:

Haha oh my "buddy" Chip and I are just playing, right Chip?  :P

Thanks for the tip on the veteran discount.  :2vrolijk_21:

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2014, 09:40:59 AM »

I have the Motolights on the SEUC.

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2014, 09:48:56 AM »

Haha oh my "buddy" Chip and I are just playing, right Chip?  :P

Thanks for the tip on the veteran discount.  :2vrolijk_21:

No playing on my part.
Your just like someones kid that parents try to help but the kid is not smart enough to understand that so they lash out and be rude.
Hopefully your time will not come that those extra lights or helmet saves the farm.
I sure hope so anyway.

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2014, 09:55:59 AM »

FYI their website says they offer 10% off to veteran military, police and fire personnel still

Motolights offers 10% to CVO forum members who don't meet the above criteria as well, but you have to call them as their web sales isn't set up for the discount. It would be wise to call them anyway if placing an order to verify correct parts and any accessories you may want/need. They are quite knowledgeable on fitment for their products and familiar with our bikes. From my experience, caliper mounted Motolights are a terrific safety factor for visibility to oncoming cages.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2014, 10:22:43 AM »

Motolights offers 10% to CVO forum members who don't meet the above criteria as well, but you have to call them as their web sales isn't set up for the discount. It would be wise to call them anyway if placing an order to verify correct parts and any accessories you may want/need. They are quite knowledgeable on fitment for their products and familiar with our bikes. From my experience, caliper mounted Motolights are a terrific safety factor for visibility to oncoming cages.

Kiro

I also use the Custom Dynamics Ringz. Except in states where there is a limit having a lot of light is a good thing.

SBB
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 10:24:49 AM by SBB »

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2014, 10:47:07 AM »

Sooooooooooo, getting back to aux lights or not.

I'm torn on this as well, about 50/50. It's sort of a love/hate relationship for me. I don't have them on my bike probably because of just the cost to see if I would still like them.

As far as safety goes I think there are two basic types of riders. There are the ones, like a few of my friends, who ride around looking at the scenery and there are the ones, like me, that ride around watching the rode and other drivers (car, motorcycle, horse, dog).

I am a very firm believer that those who ride for the scenery are much more likely to have an accident than those who enjoy watching the road and the drivers around them.

Front to Back - Side to Side.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2014, 10:59:02 AM »

I also use the Custom Dynamics Ringz. Except in states where there is a limit having a lot of light is a good thing.

Yes - they look good and are much brighter. I rode behind a guy with Custom Dynamics LED's on the rear of his bike recently to check them out. I'll be getting pairs for the front/rear as a winter mod and will probably replace the brake light with LED's as well. This appears to be a better alternative than mounting additional lights on the back of the bike. Thanks for pointing this out...

I am a very firm believer that those who ride for the scenery are much more likely to have an accident than those who enjoy watching the road and the drivers around them.

I don't disagree with this, but in my years of riding I didn't worry as much about my wrecking the bike as I did some inattentive/distracted cage turning in front of me or creating some other hazardous circumstance that you need to react to. Any rider who isn't always watching the road with better than good situational awareness is at risk...

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2014, 11:30:00 AM »

Yes - they look good and are much brighter. I rode behind a guy with Custom Dynamics LED's on the rear of his bike recently to check them out. I'll be getting pairs for the front/rear as a winter mod and will probably replace the brake light with LED's as well. This appears to be a better alternative than mounting additional lights on the back of the bike. Thanks for pointing this out...

I don't disagree with this, but in my years of riding I didn't worry as much about my wrecking the bike as I did some inattentive/distracted cage turning in front of me or creating some other hazardous circumstance that you need to react to. Any rider who isn't always watching the road with better than good situational awareness is at risk...

Do the Custom Dynamics Ringz replace the entire turn signal innards? And do they require a load equalizer on a '12 SESG?

Yes, riding a motorcycle is an increasingly dangerous activity… but I agree about being more concerned about all of the idiots in cages not paying attention, talking on their cell phones, dealing with kids, etc. and not ever seeing you before they take you out.

Nobody rides well enough to avoid some moron turning right in front of you. Those of us who have been riding for more than a few years have had our share of close calls. I have had three such incidents in my riding career… the latest of which was a fool in a Tahoe in 2009  (IIRC...) who suddenly jerked left without even signaling to get into the left turn lane as I was passing him on the left. My wife was riding right behind me and thought she was going to see her husband die right in front of her! I slammed on the brakes and moved the bike left, then he saw me and moved back over into his lane, then cut in front of me AGAIN and moved into the left turn lane with me behind him. If it hadn't been for the crash-avoidance skills I've developed through years of riding, I would've been dead.

And yes, that bike had aux lights on it! And as I finally passed the careless moron, he got the middle-finger salute!

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2014, 11:48:23 AM »

And yes, that bike had aux lights on it! And as I finally passed the careless moron, he got the middle-finger salute!

Ken

Atta boy Ken!  :2vrolijk_21:

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2014, 12:11:51 PM »

Do the Custom Dynamics Ringz replace the entire turn signal innards? And do they require a load equalizer on a '12 SESG?

Ken - yes on the Custom Dynamics LED lights replacing the turn signal innards, you pull the bulb and install them in lieu. Their website has information about the load equalizer. They indicate my bike probably doesn't need one, but my understanding from talking to people is anything older than 2014/15 you should plan on buying one because they'll flash to quickly otherwise and equalization will be required.

LOL - unfortunately, auxiliary lighting or nothing else can save one from stupidity exhibited by others on the road, like cars cutting you off or turning in your travel path. I've had several close calls as well, but thankfully, none too recent - a real scare can be life changing... Bad things can happen even if another driver sees you and is aware you are there. There's no treatment for a lack of common sense behind the wheel. I do think auxiliary lighting helps one to be more visible though. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 24 queries.