Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Paint Issues on 2015 FLHXSE  (Read 14266 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Paint Issues on 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 09:06:33 AM »

It is my understanding that the CVO and numbered HD paint sets are done by vendors. I believe one is Gunslinger Custom Paint out of Colorado. Not sure if there are others. The QC inspectors at the assembly plant should have caught this. There are small QC tags all over the inside covers with initials and dates from QC inspectors. Looks to me like they just wanted to get this bike out. New parts are on order.

Many of us have been down this same road, going back a dozen years or so.  Some of the worst (most widespread) problems occurred in the 2005 and 2006 model years, but there have been many issues over all years.  And you're correct, the CVO painted parts are supplied by outside vendors.  Gunslinger has been the recent supplier of the tins for the Breakout, for instance, and those guys have had a ton of problems with that "clear over bare metal" paint job.  I believe Calibre is still the vendor for the Touring CVO parts, and they were the folks who screwed up so many parts ten years ago.

Those stickers aren't from the guys at the H-D plant, btw.  Those are from the so-called inspection processes at the vendors.  I'm pretty much convinced H-D doesn't re-inspect those parts at the assembly plant.  They operate the way most companies do these days, having their suppliers self-certify the quality of the parts they ship to the assembly plants.  The old days of thorough incoming inspection are long gone, due to cost constraints as well as the just-in-time inventory systems employed by most assembly plants.  As for a final inspection once the bikes are assembled, I have no idea if they have such an inspection at all.  Considering some of the obvious errors that have been getting out to customers in recent years, I imagine any final inspections have been pared back just like other inspections.  The entire inspection process is considered non-value added in todays production systems.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrarider123

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 09:12:22 AM »

The entire inspection process is considered non-value added in todays production systems.
Jerry

....and a very sad state of the current manufacturing process.

I'll like to nominate this for the quote of the week.....

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 11:06:48 AM »

I do plan on calling HD customer service to lodge my concerns.  I just don't want any heat passed on to my dealer who has been nothing but outstanding.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 11:25:34 AM »

I am a lot upset. The dealer has been good so far with getting the parts replaced, still on order of course. My big question is how does this chit pass QC. There are QC stickers all over the inside of the side covers and fenders with dates and initials, the inspectors must be blind or just told to get the stuff out and let the customers address the issues if they choose to. Just curious as to how prevalent these paint issues are on the new SG's. I also looked at a Candy Chrome and Black prior to buying mine and could not believe the silver over spray on the inside of one of the saddlebag lids. Someone's dropping the ball on these $36,000 + machines Harley touts as being their premier pieces.

Many of us have been down this same road, going back a dozen years or so.  Some of the worst (most widespread) problems occurred in the 2005 and 2006 model years, but there have been many issues over all years.  And you're correct, the CVO painted parts are supplied by outside vendors.  Gunslinger has been the recent supplier of the tins for the Breakout, for instance, and those guys have had a ton of problems with that "clear over bare metal" paint job.  I believe Calibre is still the vendor for the Touring CVO parts, and they were the folks who screwed up so many parts ten years ago.

Those stickers aren't from the guys at the H-D plant, btw.  Those are from the so-called inspection processes at the vendors.  I'm pretty much convinced H-D doesn't re-inspect those parts at the assembly plant.  They operate the way most companies do these days, having their suppliers self-certify the quality of the parts they ship to the assembly plants.  The old days of thorough incoming inspection are long gone, due to cost constraints as well as the just-in-time inventory systems employed by most assembly plants.  As for a final inspection once the bikes are assembled, I have no idea if they have such an inspection at all.  Considering some of the obvious errors that have been getting out to customers in recent years, I imagine any final inspections have been pared back just like other inspections.  The entire inspection process is considered non-value added in todays production systems.

Jerry

Since Harley uses the "just in time" assembly process I would guess the odds of finding a defect on the line and not having any limited CVO paint tins to pull from, means the defect gets installed.

My 05 had 2 defects. Lower inner fairing replaced right away with no issues. The tourpak lid had a defect which manifested itself after about 6 months of non use. That  required inspection by a rep and an 7-8 month wait for the part.

I eventually ordered a king tourpak and just like the first, after months of non use I ended up with the same defect in the same area.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 05:56:10 PM »

Can you guys post some pics of the paint issues, just curious what your experiencing
Toes in the water, ass in the sand

Rkw

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 05:58:19 PM »

I have minor paint issues with my 15 CVO as well. When you open the saddlebags, the inner trim surrounding the top of the saddlebag has yellow overspray. There is also a QC sticker with initials under the lid. The entire inner should be black, not see any yellow in my opinion.

Any thoughts on the wiring running inside the bags. On my bike, it seems they should have run them differently, otherwise you risk placing something on top, or you have to loop it up in air to get stuff under the wiring.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2014, 07:00:06 PM »

I have minor paint issues with my 15 CVO as well. When you open the saddlebags, the inner trim surrounding the top of the saddlebag has yellow overspray. There is also a QC sticker with initials under the lid. The entire inner should be black, not see any yellow in my opinion.

Any thoughts on the wiring running inside the bags. On my bike, it seems they should have run them differently, otherwise you risk placing something on top, or you have to loop it up in air to get stuff under the wiring.

How about a photo of the wiring?  As for the yellow overspray, you're correct, it shouldn't be there.  Have the dealer see if they can remove it with some solvent.  Let them do it, rather than do it yourself, since if you use the wrong stuff and it does something to the plastic they won't cover it.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rkw

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2014, 10:37:44 PM »

I will post photos tomorrow; here is a faint shot of 1 bag's wiring

In this photo, you can see they have 1 retaining clip (upper left of photo) where you have to place part of the wiring under the retainer; the remaining wiring line does not have any retainers, as you can see the black wiring line snakes loosely. The inner travel bags you get w/the bike for the CVO SG are smaller than the inner travel bags I had w/my '14 SG (kept from my '13 Ultra.

As a result of the protruding harness, coupled with the loose wiring not retained, smaller inner travel bags, traveling w/just these 2 bags will be limited as compared to the saddlebags on a regular SG. I have already done a comparison. In fact, to create more room, for the '15 CVO, it will probably be best not to use the inner travel bags to pack your stuff, and just lay them inside the saddle bag, and place the wiring on top when finished.

For day to day, its not as bad---but even for groceries, I can't carry what I used to. We all use our bikes differently, but when you move from one model to another, with the same saddlebags, you grow accustomed. In this case, you give up space, and ultimately some comfort if traveling (less space for things), in exchange for your stereo.

Harley should discuss these things with guys like us as they move forward with creating new bikes, features, etc. Don't they see these things? Otherwise, i love my bike.

It wouldn't be as bad if the lines could be run flush along the side of the bag, and run flush deep in the rear of the saddlebag, and then up to the speaker under the lid.

For those of us who travel using our saddlebags, I can tell you this: the travel bags that come w/the bike are of limited use
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 01:05:23 PM by Rkw »

Rkw

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2014, 11:06:11 PM »

Another

Rkw

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2014, 11:15:08 PM »

Last one

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2014, 11:18:34 PM »

Last one

I had some too, just hit it with a micro-fiber & some bug and tar remover and it was gone   :2vrolijk_21:
Toes in the water, ass in the sand

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2014, 08:50:55 AM »

I can't believe H-D just leaves that wiring harness flopping loose like that.  I'd have a talk with the dealership first, and if they aren't interested I'd call H-D.  At the very least that wiring should be routed along the side of the bag and held in place with some sort of retainers.

I guess we can safely assume the saddlebags are no longer for serious luggage carrying duties, but rather just a place to hang a couple more speakers and wiring. 

Jerry

ultrarider123

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2014, 09:06:20 AM »

At the very least that wiring should be routed along the side of the bag and held in place with some sort of retainers.

I guess we can safely assume the saddlebags are no longer for serious luggage carrying duties, but rather just a place to hang a couple more speakers and wiring.  Jerry

I'm with you on the retainers along with the wiring should be "shaped" around the inside of the bag.  Don't like the new wiring connection/harness inside the bag.  On the pre 2015 scooters with the saddlebag speakers, the wiring and harness was something you worked around but you could do so.  This new harness sicking out about what looks like at least an inch two inches is just in the way.  There really isn't a way to pack around it using the HD saddlebag soft bags...or any bag.  I would guess this plug design will be the subject of many warranty issues.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2014, 02:58:22 AM »

Wow! Sorry to read of all these problems! For the price we pay for CVOs, they ought to be picture-perfect motorcycles.

It's a damn shame you guys buying the '15s are experiencing chit like this, because there is absolutely NO excuse for the MoCo letting obvious defects as described in this thread, and in others, out of the factory. I would be hopping mad to have to deal with these kinds of issues on a $36,000 new CVO.  I hope the MoCo corrects these glaring issues for you quickly.

The more of these posts I read, the more set I am in keeping Honey Badger. I swear she was built on a Thursday morning, after church night with no hangovers, because everything on her was absolutely perfect. But I suspect she was one of a very few to leave the factory like that.

Best wishes!

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

CVOhog1

• Junior CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon/Blk Diamond/Burgandy Blaze
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHXSE Candy Cobalt/Indigo ink
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2014, 04:02:51 PM »

Here are some pictures of the paint issues I mentioned. Metal Flake showing through on the edge of the fairing, Clear coat buildup and peeling on lower, clear coat chipping on top edge of saddlebag lowers and just yesterday noticed some type of liquid running down the inside of my speedometer. Nice for a $36,000 premier piece of Harley Engineering.
V&H Power Dual Header
V&H High Output Slip On Mufflers
PV 2
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 21 queries.