Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 05 SEEG fairing removal  (Read 3839 times)

Striker

• Senior CVO Member
  • Rocky Mountain Yellow FLHTSE2
05 SEEG fairing removal
« on: June 22, 2005, 07:55:22 PM »

I am thinking about putting in  a set of HogTunes, and wonder if anyone can post the section from the shop manual for the fairing removal.  I have put off spending the $150 for all the manuals, so if I could "borrow" the info from anyone here, I would appreciate it.
Thanks guys
2005 Yellow SEEG
2001 1200 XL chopper
Why take the easy road?  I prefer to come
to a stop slidin' in sidways, hangin' on
for dear life, just so I am able to say;
"Man what a ride!"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: 05 SEEG fairing removal
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 08:02:47 PM »

I am thinking about putting in  a set of HogTunes, and wonder if anyone can post the section from the shop manual for the fairing removal.  I have put off spending the $150 for all the manuals, so if I could "borrow" the info from anyone here, I would appreciate it.
Thanks guys

Check out this thread:

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=eg_gen;action=display;num=1112811416

Everything you ever wanted to know about removing the outer fairing but were afraid to ask.  It's even got an image posted that's a scan from a service manual page showing where all the mounting screws are.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 11:40:54 AM by twolanerider »

jimp

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 09:53:22 PM »

Its a simple job, seven screw's and the head light connector, put some socks over the running lights, I replaced my speaker's in about fifteen minutes last night. The trick to putting the lower screws back in is, use a long 1/4" extension and put some silicone on the torx screw heads so they are tacky and stick to the torx bit.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 09:54:52 PM by jimp »

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 06:09:25 AM »

Its a simple job, seven screw's and the head light connector, put some socks over the running lights, I replaced my speaker's in about fifteen minutes last night. The trick to putting the lower screws back in is, use a long 1/4" extension and put some silicone on the torx screw heads so they are tacky and stick to the torx bit.

Jim...sounds like you might have had some experience dropping and chasing those nasty little lower screws.... [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 07:09:16 AM »

Brian

Or the fairing could be installed like the Harley shop did mine.

They just didn't bother to install the lower screws.

[smiley=nixweiss.gif]

jimp

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 08:37:42 AM »

Jim...sounds like you might have had some experience dropping and chasing those nasty little lower screws.... [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Never touched one before, just had worst things to put back together before than the fairing.
What's going on in CR?

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 04:38:33 PM »

Never touched one before, just had worst things to put back together before than the fairing.
What's going on in CR?

Actually, I'm on the road and unfortunately working for the week, then off to Costa Rica next week.  Bummer, but got to make a buck or two once in a while to pay for more toys and horsepower.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 12:25:51 PM »

[smiley=laugh.gif]  Thank you all for posting all the information about the fairing removal including pics. I had no idea, but my husband was reading and memorizing all the talk about, the tips and the pics. Well last Wednesday when we were about to leave for a trip I asked what CDs he'd like me to pick out for him while I was picking some, and he told me he had to take the fairing off to fix his speakers and he was more than a little leary.  I told him no way, lets get some socks on those passing lamps and giver a go.  So with his magnetic wand to pick up dropped screws, away we went.  It was a peice of cake.  But since the fairing was off, he wanted the y-adapter to be able to use both the tune trappers digital antenae and the regular one so off I went in search. Well I came back home empty handed.  So he came with me and we looked at a few stores and found that the search was going to be futile for this day. But while in Best Buy he decided to pick up the  Roady2 so he could have tunes for the trip to the mountains, and home we went. Well my chef, not a mechanic, husband had that bad boy installed in a very few short minutes. In fact it took me longer to get it registered than for him to run the wires, make the little nick in the fairing to run the wires up inside the windshield, just like Otis had told him.  Then the dreaded reinstall of fairing....... again, peice of cake.  I am so proud. And he had tunes all weekend long. Worked great. Thanks all for your posts.   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 12:44:38 PM »

[smiley=laugh.gif]  Thank you all for posting all the information about the fairing removal including pics. I had no idea, but my husband was reading and memorizing all the talk about, the tips and the pics. Well last Wednesday when we were about to leave for a trip I asked what CDs he'd like me to pick out for him while I was picking some, and he told me he had to take the fairing off to fix his speakers and he was more than a little leary.  I told him no way, lets get some socks on those passing lamps and giver a go.  So with his magnetic wand to pick up dropped screws, away we went.  It was a peice of cake.  But since the fairing was off, he wanted the y-adapter to be able to use both the tune trappers digital antenae and the regular one so off I went in search. Well I came back home empty handed.  So he came with me and we looked at a few stores and found that the search was going to be futile for this day. But while in Best Buy he decided to pick up the  Roady2 so he could have tunes for the trip to the mountains, and home we went. Well my chef, not a mechanic, husband had that bad boy installed in a very few short minutes. In fact it took me longer to get it registered than for him to run the wires, make the little nick in the fairing to run the wires up inside the windshield, just like Otis had told him.  Then the dreaded reinstall of fairing....... again, peice of cake.  I am so proud. And he had tunes all weekend long. Worked great. Thanks all for your posts.   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Yeah !!!!!!!!     Mr. We kicks butt !!!!  [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 12:50:53 PM »

Mr/MrsWeCVO.......Congratulations on the install of the Roady2.......Now, what I want to know is are you happy w/ it and what kind of antenna and of course, the dreaded "need Photos"!   Har!    [smiley=worthless.gif]   thanks, spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 24 queries.