Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heavy loads and engine wear  (Read 2557 times)

txbear55

• Full CVO Member
  • IBA
Heavy loads and engine wear
« on: May 23, 2015, 08:06:11 PM »

Looking at a 2012 SEUC with a trailer hitch, 31K miles.  Do y'all feel that pulling a trailer significantly increases wear and tear on the motor? 

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
Re: Heavy loads and engine wear
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 09:51:11 PM »

There has always been a correlation, however, I would not say it to be "significant". 
Jesus is Lord

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 10:01:36 PM »

Depends on how often a trailer was actually pulled, how heavy the load, the aerodynamics of the actual trailer, etc.  If you don't know any of those things, I'd assume the worst and adjust my price offer accordingly.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 10:16:52 PM »

What trailer?  A Bushtec is very light compared to a Harley OEM side car.  Also, how a person rides while pulling that trailer/load will make a difference.

Most people pulling a trailer aren't doing burnouts or twisting the wick all the way to the stop.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 10:57:04 AM »

"Do y'all feel that pulling a trailer significantly increases wear and tear on the motor? " , trans and clutch?

Fixed it for you.

2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 11:22:05 AM »

I pulled this Bushtec around everywhere with my 89 Ultra Classic (Evo motor).  Never had any problems with the motor.  However, I did twist the transmission main shaft in to two pieces.  The MoCo covered it even though I was the third owner and long time out of warranty.....they replaced it under the good faith customer service policy. 

It's nearly unheard of for a transmission main shaft to twist in two....even on drag bikes.  I've never heard of one before or since.  But, in fairness, I was much younger then and I used to do little wheelies with this bike and I'd do burn outs with the trailer on it.  Many, many people have towed trailers and sidecars for years with these bikes.  Most who own a trailer (unlike a sidecar) just don't have it hooked up that much in comparison to total miles ridden.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 01:56:53 PM »

In my opinion it is more important to know how it was ridden and taken care of. I could jump on my new bike and within 15 mins blow it up... without having a trailer hooked up to it. Some people like to have extra fun on their bikes (like JCZ!), and others will treat their bike like a show vehicle and baby it. Either category of owner may or may not take extra special care of the bike maintenance wise. I would think the latter category of rider could pull a trailer longterm without any related trailer pulling issues.
I would pay more attention in attempting to gain insight into the owner's mindset in these regards.
JMHO

txbear55

• Full CVO Member
  • IBA
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 12:15:35 AM »

Thanks for the replies.  I am having to do some detective work via GMR and will try to contact the prior owner.  I may be back in the CVO clan yet!

txbear55

• Full CVO Member
  • IBA
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 11:06:07 PM »

Gonna pass on this one...all parties involved refuse to divulge info on the bike's history.  Something stinks... >:(

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 02:47:11 AM »

Gonna pass on this one...all parties involved refuse to divulge info on the bike's history.  Something stinks... >:(
For sure.  Plenty of others out there.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Streetglide1

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

• CVO1: 2012 Streetglide
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 08:31:31 PM »

I really don't think it wears much more if your operating the bike correctly and not dragging the clutch, me and the wife pulled a trailer with our Ultra classic for a few years and did feel the weight but the bike cruised great, but we decided now not to pull one due to its disadvantages such as curves and maneuvering and so on, we just pack better now :) 

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.