Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Just ordered 12" Yaffe Monkey Bars - Installing Advice?  (Read 45324 times)

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Just ordered 12" Yaffe Monkey Bars - Installing Advice?
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 10:08:20 PM »

I have a braided stainless clutch hose from goodridge and brake line for abs also stainless that I was going to use but ended up not needing them for my 10" bars. They are new and never opened. I'll sell them for $120 shipped.  The clutch hose is I think is 73" and the brake line is +6 I believe.  I'll look when I get home tonight if anyone is interested

I'll check the length I need. If they are the right length I'm in.

I'll let you know. Go any pictures?
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2012, 07:01:29 PM »

Replacement bars arrived today!!!!!

No scratches. All is good! :bananarock:
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Bowman1836

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 cvo street glide
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2012, 07:06:15 PM »

Replacement bars arrived today!!!!!

No scratches. All is good! :bananarock:

Almost a month later. Your s better man than me :). Hope they work out for you. I love these bars and IMO they are the best looking bars. But his customer service sux

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2012, 09:58:44 PM »

Okay, I need some help!!

I'm getting ready to install the 12" Yaffe Monkey Bars on my 2011 CVO Street Glide and I need some help on hydraulic clutch and brake lines. I am planning on using Magnum Shield lines. The mid line is not in question.

*** What length of UPPER BRAKE line?
      --- The dealer is telling me 21"

*** What length of HYDRAULIC CLUTCH line?
       --- The dealer is telling me 72"

I'm also debating on whether or not to change out the two lower brake lines to Magnum Shields. Here's why. They are already braided but will not be as bright in color as the Magnum lines on the bars. But they are located far enough away not to be too noticable. Plus I can save about $170 bucks.

Thoughts?

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2012, 10:29:13 PM »

i used the Magnum on my clutch side,, plus 6"  wanted to make sure i had plenty of reach,, and i did,,,  looks fine to me and i had the hd lines for everything else,,,  no one ever noticed or cared really,,
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 11:53:03 AM by cvostu »

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2012, 07:46:03 AM »

i used the Magnum on my clutch side,, plus 6"  wanted to make sure i had plenty of reach,, and i did,,,  looks fine to me and i had the hd lines for everything else,,,  noone ever noticed or cared really,,
Do you know the part number for the Magnum clutch side? The dealer figured the clutch side using a by using a brake line and a banjo connector.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2012, 12:12:30 AM »

You can call Magnum Shielding yourself.   They are very easy to talk to of the phone   Whip out the ole credit card and it's on the way,,  get it in no time.   I think they are in new York.

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE converted to FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTSCI
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2012, 01:05:53 PM »

Okay, I need some help!!

I'm getting ready to install the 12" Yaffe Monkey Bars on my 2011 CVO Street Glide and I need some help on hydraulic clutch and brake lines. I am planning on using Magnum Shield lines. The mid line is not in question.

*** What length of UPPER BRAKE line?
      --- The dealer is telling me 21"

*** What length of HYDRAULIC CLUTCH line?
       --- The dealer is telling me 72"

I'm also debating on whether or not to change out the two lower brake lines to Magnum Shields. Here's why. They are already braided but will not be as bright in color as the Magnum lines on the bars. But they are located far enough away not to be too noticable. Plus I can save about $170 bucks.

Thoughts?

I ordered my lines from Dr. Vtwin.  They have since closed shop....

That said, I did 14" bars, and went +8 on everything.  I also installed a new lower brake line.  Reason being, as you pointed out, I wanted it to match.  The lowers are only stainless from the manifold to the calipers, IIRC.  So, at the neck of the bike, you'd have three cables crossing paths....1.  MC to ABS Module; 2.  ABS Module to tree/capiliers; 3.  Hydraulic Clutch Cable.

I think its worth upgrading all the lines.  The details like that are what ties everything together.

With your 12s, I think you will be fine doing +6 on all lines.

Magnum, who I used as well, will be able to work with you to make sure you get what you need.

harleylimited

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2012, 12:49:36 PM »

I installed 12s on my 2012 SESG last May .......ooh bad memories for sure !!!! .....anyway here are my tips :

1-Use 6+ on lines
2-Cover all the bars with blue tape to save from scratches (i learned that the hard way on my previous limited !! )
3-No need to extend wires (just relocate the OEM plug locations) ..although i extended mine ...but was not needed and took lots of time with lots of mistakes
4-Only needed upper brake lines
5-Cover all painted parts with nylon and tape to protect from DOT brake fluid
6-Tank will have to come off for the brake line - no way around it ! (its much easier that it seems , again beware of scratches )
7-Take it easy with the molex connectors -they can break easily
8-Test every thing before you button everything up
9-use lots of lube (i used soap )
10-throttle side is much more difficult , i did left side in 15 mins , right side in 3 hours !!!

get lots of beer , take lots of breaks and enjoy ....lol !

if taking it easy ...12-14 hours and i have been wrenching for 10 years - did everything but engine builds  :oops:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 12:52:09 PM by harleylimited »

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2012, 07:19:53 PM »

Okay, big drum roll please!!

My cables came in today. I ended up buying them from Yaffe because when I asked Magnum Shield about cable lengths and such the lady told me to just get the set from Yaffe. Go figure.

I'm a little concerned about the bleeding of the ABS system. I have not talked to the guy who is going to install the bars and cables but when my brother talked to him about doing his he said that I'll need to take it to a dealer to "pump" the system.

Question!! Will it be safe to ride it to the dealer?

I am stoked to get these bars on!!!!!

harleylimited

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2012, 03:04:33 PM »

i didn't go to the dealer , some people are lucky and air didn't get into system ,no ABS light for me or stealer trip .

nbomar

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2012, 01:38:35 PM »

Got my bars on this week 10" MBB. Attached are pics. I did the install myself after talking to some friends about the difficulty.

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE converted to FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTSCI
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2012, 09:28:01 PM »

Okay, big drum roll please!!

My cables came in today. I ended up buying them from Yaffe because when I asked Magnum Shield about cable lengths and such the lady told me to just get the set from Yaffe. Go figure.

I'm a little concerned about the bleeding of the ABS system. I have not talked to the guy who is going to install the bars and cables but when my brother talked to him about doing his he said that I'll need to take it to a dealer to "pump" the system.

Question!! Will it be safe to ride it to the dealer?

I am stoked to get these bars on!!!!!

From my earlier posting:

The ABS lines run from the brake lever on the bars, down the spine to the ABS module on the right side of the bike. From the module, they run back up the spine, and mount to the bottom of the triple tree, then down to the calipers. You could get away with replacing only the piece from the lever to the ABS module. I am replacing all of them as to keep all the lines matching. First, you’ll need to drain the brake fluid. Then, and I haven’t gotten this far yet, but basically, you can use a vacuum bleeder to pull fluid through the first cable before you hook it to the ABS module. When the fluid is through, attach the cable to the ABS block. Then, you can attach the lines from the ABS block to the calipers, and bleed those lines as well. In theory, this should keep air from getting into the ABS module. For what it’s worth, I value my life too much to not spend $90 on an hour's labor to have my front brakes bled by the dealer. They have the digital technician that bleeds air from the ABS module. Honestly, I’ll probably have them done at the same time I have them replace the rear brake switch. Might be able to save a few bucks while it’s in there for the recall anyway.

If you do manage to get air in the lines, the brakes will work, but they may feel a little squishy.  A trip to the dealer will fix that.  Just make sure once you get the line from the MC to the ABS block, you keep the MC topped off with fluid.  If it runs dry, then you'll get air into the lines, and potentially the ABS module.

If you take your time, and work methodically, you should be ok.  Good luck!

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2012, 09:40:19 PM »

Thanks Fisheye!!!!

I forgot to go back a page to re-read your post.

Your info makes me feel pretty comfortable tackling this myself.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2012, 09:41:22 PM »

Got my bars on this week 10" MBB. Attached are pics. I did the install myself after talking to some friends about the difficulty.
Nice!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.