Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2003 Centennial Gold Paint  (Read 6994 times)

TXhobo

• SCREAM BIRDIE!!!
2003 Centennial Gold Paint
« on: March 26, 2004, 04:54:03 PM »

I want to get a few things painted to match the Gold on my 2003 FLHRESI2. Harley-Davidson doesn't sell the Gold Paint, it's restricted. They do sell the 1 oz. bottle of touch-up but thats it. Does anyone know a car color that matches? I went to a car paint shop and went through there paint color samples but couldn't find one to match. Some shades came close but for the most part car paint has most metal flake in it then the Centennial Gold. FYI, the front fender (Primed) for a 2003 FLHRSEI2 cost $158.00 from H-D. The same fender with the 2003 FLHRSEI2 paint scheme cost $720.00. Does anyone know the secret to the paint color?
Vance & Hines Slip-ons
Screamin Eagle Intake & Breather
Harley EFI Tuner

gb

• Full CVO Member
  • Love the open road.
Re: 2003 Centennial Gold Paint
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2004, 09:31:56 PM »

Hey TXhobo,
Any good custom painter can match the color. IF you have trouble, I have a source here in El Paso, Danny Bally you does great work. He's been featured in many custom bike mags. Check my pictures out in the pictures section under the thread serkeguci?. I got a removable front batwing that was primer black; a teal green trunk; one red and one blue lower. He matched everything perfectly. Let me know if you need any help.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2004, 09:33:48 PM by gb »
18,900 I gotta slow down!.

mfgreen

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 02:35:31 PM »

The color is called 'scooby' gold named after the scooby project which was the name of the 2003 SERK prior to its release.

TCSTD

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 09:09:20 AM »

http://www.cyclecolor.com/id3.htm

You might try this link, maybe they could hook you up with the right color. Any shop that has a mixing system and a computer to analize the paint should be able to get it right if they are any good at all

TC
03 FXSTDSEI ,  K&N & Kit , Stage 2 download ,SE II slipons,  Low profile anniversary windshield , Replaced  smoked lenses with red/amber, headlight and turn signal extensions ,Some extra chrome.

skull

• Full CVO Member
  • "Getter Dunn"
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2004, 09:18:50 PM »

I work for Akzo Nobel Coatings which is the largest paint manufacturer in the world.  The Automotive Coatings trade name is Sikkens.  I will tell you that you can get the Centennial Gold Paint Matched dead on.  

I had one of he guys in the Techincal Department take a "Camera Shot" of the color to make me a pint to keep around.  Well, they did and then tweaked it a very little bit.  They then proceeded to do a spray out card (one with a hole inthe middle), when I held it on my tank, it was perfect.  Let me tell you, 16 years in the Coating industry and I have a pretty good eye for color match.

I am not saying run out and buy Sikkens becasue I work for them, but you must use a quality coating, primarily one the uses LIQUID PEARLS not powder.  The Valspar "House of Color" has received a pretty good name in the motorcycle industry, but I will tell you, the product is junk.  They still use power pearls which are not conducive to match todays newer colors.  Their product is so out-dated it is not funny, their coating technology is about 15-20 years behind what the major coatings comanys are doing today.  The reason many bike painters use it is because they live from check to check and the stuff is cheap compared to Sikkens, DuPont, PPG, etc.

Do not go to a NAPA store, do not go to any other Auto Parts store and think you are going to achieve the Centennial Gold.  

HD use PPG as thier OEM product line, so that tells you that they can match it with their assortment.

I will see if my Technical Dept stil has the final formula they used for me, if so, I will e-mail it to you and you can find a Sikkens distributor in your market (I know we have a company branch in Dallas Ft Worth) and get what you need.

Sorry to ramble.

Skull

flhrsei2_gret's_is for sale

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 11:22:32 AM »

Hi,
I have a friend who works in Appleton, WI - Oshkosh area for same co. as you mentioned. He does paint matches as well - didn't know about the paint. I have a nice scooter - has things added to it that makes it good for lotsa touring. Haven't had anything happen that I needed paint - the shop did after one spill I had. After picking up the bike, I was jumping up and down cursing that I didn't get a black bike - easier to match... know people who can work bikes, but not this color... centennial gold...

Glad to hear that you have found a way to match color. Any way I can get ahold of what you found? Via my friend or you?

Thanks - (BTW, my bike remains on the market until it's sold. Being bike poor after a divorce is the pits.)  

Marg

[smiley=verfsmile.gif] [smiley=givemebeer.gif]
...at my age knowledge is not based on what the book says, because - we write the books.

kazumdgc

• Senior CVO Member
  • Only Way to GO!
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2004, 04:38:22 PM »

I have a 02 purple one and purchased a tour pak and found a guy in York PA who did a great job in matching everything. Find out from your dealer who they use for custom painting and the like and more than not that person should be able to meet your needs. Look under what have you done to your serk and you will see a 03 with lots of painted stuff. He too I am sure can help. Good luck
Kaz

W.C.mach

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2004, 06:40:14 PM »

The factroy uses PPG paint. The paint code was on a sticker under my front fender.
W.C.Machine, Precision CNC machining.
Plymouth,MA 508 747 4556

mfgreen

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 12:32:46 PM »

Hi,
I have a friend who works in Appleton, WI - Oshkosh area for same co. as you mentioned. He does paint matches as well - didn't know about the paint. I have a nice scooter - has things added to it that makes it good for lotsa touring. Haven't had anything happen that I needed paint - the shop did after one spill I had. After picking up the bike, I was jumping up and down cursing that I didn't get a black bike - easier to match... know people who can work bikes, but not this color... centennial gold...

Glad to hear that you have found a way to match color. Any way I can get ahold of what you found? Via my friend or you?

Thanks - (BTW, my bike remains on the market until it's sold. Being bike poor after a divorce is the pits.)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 09:13:52 AM by mfgreen »

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2004, 02:59:13 PM »

Hey, W.C.mach,

What was the color code number (that you found under the front fender)?  I work for an automotive supplier that paints for the auto factories and we have a PPG representative right here on-site.  I can ask him for the exact formula if I have the color code number.

TB
TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

TB

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2004, 03:55:43 PM »

Finally got something new on the color formulation for "Scooby Gold".  I took the color code numbers off of the touch-up bottles that I bought from the local HD dealer.  You get two bottles of touch up paint in a little kit.  

The numbers are 33H080 for the sheetmetal paint and 33H079 for the frame paint.  Take these to any auto parts store that carries PPG paint products and they can pull up the formula thru their system.  They're mixing me up a quart today. [smiley=laugh.gif]
TB

mfgreen

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2004, 04:35:57 PM »

Finally got something new on the color formulation for "Scooby Gold".

TB

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2004, 10:05:31 AM »

Apparently PPG "Scooby Gold"  is a base coat / clear coat paint system.  Any idea what the factory primer coat color is?  Looks like some type of a blue/silver primer was used by HD.  

Considering the problems with primer read thru, I certainly can appreciate your comments.  [smiley=nervous.gif]

TB

mfgreen

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2004, 10:16:01 AM »

You are correct......a silver primer is what is used...will try to get the numbers for you.... slipped to mine as to where I put them

W.C.mach

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2004, 08:32:59 PM »

#59045 was the number under my front fender. I had a fat boy fender painted and it came out good.http://www.precisionmodelproducts.com/Harley's.htm
W.C.Machine, Precision CNC machining.
Plymouth,MA 508 747 4556
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 24 queries.